Boil kettle size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gusty

Reaction score
G'day Brewers!, I've got a question about boil kettles?, I've got my hands on a stainless steel tank that I was thinking of cutting down so that I can do 50L boils. The dimensions are 360mm X 1500mm which will fit my frame perfectly. Would the long skinny type of kettle have any negative effect on the beer?.

from the little I know ..less evaporation during boil

I would suggest keeping it as large as possible ,you can always reduce size later on.
allowing for double batches etc etc

To future proof your system, I would not cut it down to small.
I would aim at 80 ltr capacity so that you can achieve a 65 ltr boil.
If you use a 50 ltr keg as a mash tun , you could double batch and boil 65 ish ltrs. You could the have two fermenters on the go.

If you need more evaporation ... because the kettle is slender, just boil for 90 minutes and adjust hop additions, all good.

Thanks for the dimensions mate I was going to aim for a 80L capacity. I was a bit concerned on maybe not getting a good enough boil to get rid of DMS due to the tall skinny size, if I go a head with this I might just do 90min as a minimum.

gusty said:
Thanks for the dimensions mate I was going to aim for a 80L capacity. I was a bit concerned on maybe not getting a good enough boil to get rid of DMS due to the tall skinny size, if I go a head with this I might just do 90min as a minimum.
I would guess that with a tall and skinny profile you will reach boil easier (less surface area for heat loss) and as long as your boil is decent(rolling but not crazy), driving off DMS precursors shouldn't be an issue as they will be continually being brought to the surface

I used to have 2 50 lt kegs welded together as a kettle
If i put more than 60 lts in it i found it didnt boiled to well
Seemed as though it was boiling at the bottom
But any boiling on top was intermittent
60 lts was fine 80 was no good

scooterism said:
photo of tank?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475930856.031095.jpg

Latest posts

Back