Blue Tongue Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbotskor

Reaction score
hi all
I was after some ideas from all you smart and knowledgable brewers out there..as to what would be the recipe for this style of beer in Kit form and extract...
On the back of the bottle it says they use the finest local malted barley...This beer is made from the Hunter region, Tasmanian bittering hops..., And finishing hops.. German Hersbrucker.
More ideas would be very helpful....

Cheers....

Bump!

Topaz I have never tried a Blue Tongue Lager so I really can't help you with a clone for that style of Lager. I am sure there are others here that maybe able to help you.

Blue tounge lager is pretty....i dunno...watery? light? swilly? in my opion..

i'd say :

JW Pils
Bit of JW Wheat

Some light hops for bittering to about 12-15ibu
hersbruker for aroma

lager yeast dry or liquid.

good luck.

just realised this is in the kit section so replace JW Pils with a lager kit.

I recon you'd need a whack of white sugar (300-500g at a guess), and ferment it with S-23 at the upper end of the temp range (about 15C) to make it a bit fruity.

At least that is my memory of it - I havent drunk it in a couple of years.

So if you were to do a kit beer what kit or extract would you use....it is a very light colored beer...im thinking it might have POR for bitterness...

Hey Topaz

I don't mind this beer on tap, but it's not as good out of the bottle for mine. It seems to lose that honey-like sweetness in the bottle....

Don't over complicate it. I spoke to one of the brewers at the Warners Bay Beerfest (Newcastle) last year and he said it's just straight Joe White Malt, POR for bittering and a bit of Hersbrucker at the end. I didn't ask but I reckon the sweetness I could detect must be due to the mash schedule.

If you're doing a kit I would just grab a coopers pale ale (the green one), a kilo of LDM and around 20g of hersbrucker. That'd give you an OG of around 1.045, you could add a bit of dex if you want to bump it up a bit. Boil half the malt and the hersbrucker in a few litres of water for 10 minutes and then throw it in the fermenter with the rest of the stuff. Reckon this'd be a more maltier, full-bodied beer than the original but.....

If you're doing straight extract in say a 15L pot I'd just get 2 cans of light liquid malt and boil one of them in 10L of water for an hour with maybe 20g of POR. That should get you an IBU of about 18. Then throw in 20g of Hersbrucker and the other can of malt 10 minutes from the end.

I've done a few all-grain variants of this and it's very drinkable. I love hersbrucker (and cascade, and amarillo, and EKG.....spoont)

Hope this helps

might have to give this one a go myself, bit if a fan of the blue tongue lager

cheers
carty

Latest posts

Back