Blue Mtn Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy

Reaction score
thought i'd try this kit since it gets such a wrap.

i've got a fermenter fridge and want to ferment it at the lowest temp the yeast can handle but the kit instructions are generic for their whole export range.
does anyone know how low i can go? the morgans site doesn't say

thought i'd try this kit since it gets such a wrap.

i've got a fermenter fridge and want to ferment it at the lowest temp the yeast can handle but the kit instructions are generic for their whole export range.
does anyone know how low i can go? the morgans site doesn't say

This is the yeast they purchase for use in their 'better range' lager kits:

View attachment mauribrew_lager.pdf

I use it all the time in some AG brews where I just want a clean inoffensive lager yeast that doesn't need to be held at near freezing for half a year. As the PDF suggests, ferment in primary at cool but not freezing for the first part but then by all means drop to 10 for final attenuation and lagering. I usually do around ten days at 15 to 17 then cool condition for a few days at about 10 then drop it down to fridge temps for cold conditioning for a week before bottling.

Edit: I wouldn't take their advice and ferment up to 30 degrees :eek: but if you keep it below 17 you should be fine.

Foxy,

18-30 degrees apparently.

I think a fair few people on here may suggest ditching this yeast for a better dried lager yeast like the s23 (and then doubling the pitching rate if you want to ferment as low as 11degC.

My local home brew guy said Blue Mtn Lager is not a true Lager yeast. Morgans make another lager its about $18 and that comes with a 15g brew cellers lager yeast. When i got my can of Blue Mtn Lager i bought the brew cellers lager yeast seperate for about $6 i think? anyway im not to sure how low you can drop the yeast that comes with that can...

thanks heaps fellas. some handy info
Hi guys,
I'm a virgin to this site but been brewing for 4 years now.
I have just kegged a double batch of Morgans Blue Mountain Lager, and I had trouble getting the yeast to kick start. I have it set up under my house (brick) which at this time of year doesn't get much above 10 degrees. I brew in a converted CUB keg I had to use my heater belt to get it up to 18 degrees and away she went.

I rarely have to use my heater belt and was surprised I had to for a lager.

I am enjoying my first cold pot at the moment and it is a very full flavoured beer with a bitter finish.

As I am new to this site can someone please direct me to where I can find how others are finding this beer. I noted above someone quoted that it gets a good wrap.

Regards Dale

dale,

just do a search in the top right corner of page for "blue mountain lager"
she's a popular brew.

my BML is brewing now, at 16 degrees, but took 2 days to get going at this temp. goin like a bat outa hell now though

Back