Blue Moon Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanta

Reaction score
Hey fellow Brewers, I'm on the hunt for a extract clone of the Blue Moon beer. It's a great drop!

Cervantes said:
I've got an all grain recipe, but unfortunately never having done extract brewing, so wouldn't know where to start converting it.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1669-thirsty-point-sparkling-wit/

It's a pretty good Blue Moon copy as far as my taste buds can tell.

Edit: Spelling
Thanks Cervantes! I've never done a all grain batch unfortunately as I'm lacking some of the gear and space. Really keen on giving it a goe one of these days hopefully. Your recipe looks a treat!

Shanta said:
Thanks Cervantes! I've never done a all grain batch unfortunately as I'm lacking some of the gear and space. Really keen on giving it a goe one of these days hopefully. Your recipe looks a treat!
Hey mate. Im pretty green and not proven yet as I havnt even got my first brew into bottles yet.
I have been working on playing around with % quantities of all-grain recipes to come up with similar % using specific LME and DME.
I know itll makr a different beer and all that but if you have a starting point as abouve you could play aroud with figures and weights then throw ya numbers into the extract brewers spread sheet pined to the top of this section and tweek it from there.

Again I am a total novice and am not proven so by no means take what I say as gospel. However I feel as though that might allow you to make something similar in taste and style as provided above, who knows you might really enjoy coming up with the recipe.

Good luck

slcmorro said:
I absolutely despise it. Awful beer. To each their own however.
I'll take a middle road. It's not awful to my tastes but is macroswill masquerading as a craft beer. They make it sound like some master brewer all by himself started a little brewery in Denver, and magically the beer caught on. In reality it's from Coors and their marketing dept came up with the idea, part of the giants' effort to crowd craft beers off shelves and taps. Overnight this supposed beer from a Denver basement showed up all across North America. Sound familiar, Aussies?

That said, Blue Moon is a well-made smooth beer and has a bit more character than most US macrobrews, certainly more than Coors's flagship lager, a.k.a. Colorado Koolaid (available at Costco if you care to sample a beer that makes Pure Blonde seem big). But the big brewers' philosophy is make bland brews so as to attract newby beer drinkers and rely on marketing to keep them. I despise the macrobreweies for their bullying. I can't say I despise Blue Moon, only that there are way better wheat beers out there.

Glass full of average tasting yeast.
Can't help with a clone I'm sorry and I know my opinion on the beer is irrelevant to your quest but look for a decent witbier recipe and you should come close.

yankinoz said:
I'll take a middle road. It's not awful to my tastes but is macroswill masquerading as a craft beer. They make it sound like some master brewer all by himself started a little brewery in Denver, and magically the beer caught on. In reality it's from Coors and their marketing dept came up with the idea, part of the giants' effort to crowd craft beers off shelves and taps. Overnight this supposed beer from a Denver basement showed up all across North America. Sound familiar, Aussies?

That said, Blue Moon is a well-made smooth beer and has a bit more character than most US macrobrews, certainly more than Coors's flagship lager, a.k.a. Colorado Koolaid (available at Costco if you care to sample a beer that makes Pure Blonde seem big). But the big brewers' philosophy is make bland brews so as to attract newby beer drinkers and rely on marketing to keep them. I despise the macrobreweies for their bullying. I can't say I despise Blue Moon, only that there are way better wheat beers out there.
All I know is that is goes down very well with my wife and many of my friends. In fact it's probably the most popular beer that I brew.

Latest posts

Back