Blood everywhere .. The bottle went BANG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being Grainer has photographic evidence, I am sure that he would be successful in any claim that he wishes to make, if I was his brief I would be advising time off for injuries received.
Bearing in mind that the company involved has public liability insurance as by law they will have to have

indica86 said:
Liam, thier instructions are to store the beer in the fridge incase there is any yeast left. What do you propose they are sued for?>
Look man, the worst one should expect is an overcarbed beer like a Murray's, not a bottle bomb. Infection withstanding, the ONLY time a bottle might explode is by bottling beer which is only partially fermented. **** these people. What other product could you sell with the caveat: "better keep it chilled because we're lazy ***** and it might explode and slice your face apart" name one other product which does this.

Double cheeseburger combo with jumbo fries and jumbo coke. This isn't what you are meant to eat as a diet since overeating this can make you sick and a couch bum with a super sized ass. But we can't be stuffed making sure you don't order this 3 times a day.

Seriously, corporate pigs will cut every penny they can to squeeze the lemon one more time.

Wow, dude.
That's some serious damage!!
Glad you're kinda ok-ish; and you didn't lose an eye or testicle (you'd have to arm wrestle Manticle for his moniker then...)!
Commiserations.
I'd def contact UbrewIt, even if it's just to let them know they're (potentially) putting dangerous products out there. The next person might not be so "lucky"...
Hope you recover soon!

Thanks guys i will talk to huntingdale ubrewit next week

Ubrewit sending punters home with under attenuated beers? Who'd a thunk it?

Sounds well dodgy. Glad you did not lose an eye. Blood loss and scars are good conversion though :)

And yes, contact them. I would be turning up with that photo printed on my tshirt!

In my opinion you really should be able to taste if there is fermentable sugar left in beer. If there is enough to cause bottle bombs it should be enough to detect by taste. If you're not sure you should set up some trials where you add small amounts of sugar to some finished homebrew. One reason to taste your brew regularly as it ferments is to be able to recognise the effect the level os sugar has on the taste as it ferments away. You need to be able to analyse a brew so you can tell if there is risk of bottle bombs. If you can detect a slight sweetness you know to be careful.

Put that in an email to Ubrewit..

I'm sure they have disclaimers out the wazoo, do you have to sign right away with them?

Yeah ubrewit are not Brewers at all I stopped going to the one near me cause or a bad diacyatil in one batch. He said to me if o want it quicker he will put this schaet in and I could have it a week earlier. Was just s#@t. They do fine and filter also add a head retainer too.

Unfortunately they are a business first.

However I hope it was just blood and stitches not anything permanent.

Yob said:
Put that in an email to Ubrewit..

I'm sure they have disclaimers out the wazoo, do you have to sign right away with them?
You can't disclaim liability for negligence (if there has been negligence here), so whatever was signed won't impact their duty of care. The difficulty is them telling Grainer to store the bottles in the fridge - that may well be enough to ad least reduce their exposure here (legally).

Legalities aside it's poor form from them, I'd definitely be taking it up with them.

No they did not tell us to store them in the fridge and there was no disclosure....

I'd contact them and see how they respond. Tell them you're considering legal action but wanted to give them the opportunity to respond first. It's not good enough - the beer was either under-attenuated, or over-carbed (likely the former). Imagine if you had a kid in there, or you lost an eye? They'd be fucked. I'm not advocating this idea, but you could also tell them you're considering contacting the media.

Wow Grainer, that totally sucks. Glad you're not irreparably damaged.

Five or six 18 year-olds losing an eye or getting enough stitches and this is the kind of shit that will lead to legislation banning sales of bottle conditioned beers. It won't matter that they don't actually bottle condition.

This is a massive liability for UBrewIt. They need to get their shit together. This is totally irresponsible to their customers. And it's also totally irresponsible to the brewing community, especially just as craft brew is getting some serious steam.

I'd say get the Herald Sun involved but UBrewIt should have a chance to correct their practices before the media shits all over their business.

I'm writing a letter to UBrewIt for sure.

Id say keep tge media well away....god knows what sort of things could go down if they get involved.

Latest posts

Back