Blichmann Hop Rocket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schooey how is it working out? Very tempted to get one of these with the $ so strong...

Schooey how is it working out? Very tempted to get one of these with the $ so strong...

Same. Schooey, you got your ears on?

I'd be interested to do back to back batches where batch A utilises the hop back, and batch B is FO only (with the same addition), to compare results.
Sure looks to be a nice bit of kit.

reVox

Sorry fella's; been busy busy busy and missed the thread...

I'm really happy with it. Like I've said, I couldn't make one like it for the price. Easy to assemble/disassemble, easy to clean and running the hort wort through it and then straight through the plate chiller seems to lock in a lot of aroma. I believe a few other members have bought and are similarly happy. I'll leave it to them to comment if they wish..

happy to second-

very happy with mine. have used it as a randall for an ipa, and also as a hop-back- most recently for hop-backing a pilsner with saaz plugs...very promising out of the fermentor. haven't done a back to back comparison or anything like that.

agree with schooey with regards to quality of contruction etc, easy to clean- and with 1/2" male bsp thread on inlet and outlet, it's very easy to connect up to any part of my brewery that i like. looks nice just sitting on the shelf as well!

remi

Hey Schooey, where did you purchase yours from?

MD

Thanks schooey and remi B) Very cool.

rebelbrewer have them at $111AUD free shipping USA (& medium flat-rate box USPS priority $40.42AUD to AUS) or ibrew $155AUD no idea on shipping. Shop is in QLD, weight of HopRocket 1.8kg less packaging.

Cheers
reVox

Thanks schooey and remi B) Very cool.

rebelbrewer have them at $111AUD free shipping USA (& medium flat-rate box USPS priority $40.42AUD to AUS) or ibrew $155AUD no idea on shipping. Shop is in QLD, weight of HopRocket 1.8kg less packaging.

Cheers
reVox

shipping to Melbs $13.50 express post, $10.50 standard

He's skinning you...paid $135 for mine when the dollar was just below parity!

I don't know if Revox has spoken to the guy but it's $155 on the ibrew website at the moment. As you said before, the guy is quite odd. Other people describe him as an utter prick.

I've got a buddy who wants one now too which means we can split shipping from the US putting the cost landed, via rebelbrewer@ $135 or thereabouts.
Thanks for the heads-up and direction, all the same :icon_chickcheers:

I don't know if Revox has spoken to the guy but it's $155 on the ibrew website at the moment. As you said before, the guy is quite odd. Other people describe him as an utter prick.

really strange farquar to deal with, the mind boggles why he is in retail

really strange farquar to deal with, the mind boggles why he is in retail

He just runs the shop, his wife takes care of sales; but she is not at the shop and you can't telephone her. It works well. :lol:
But anyways, I think the price has gone up because of the new 'High Flow Upgrade' basket.
I can't wait to use the one I bought.

Would using one of these before the plate chiller be better than flameout / whirlpool hop additions?

But anyways, I think the price has gone up because of the new 'High Flow Upgrade' basket.

Well if it has I'll just buy from the US

Took a drive to ibrew yesterday had a look at one of these Hop Rockets and bought one on the spot. I found the guy to be very friendly and helpful he spent some time talking with me about brewing It is not so easy to buy from the USA these days most of the big Corparations will not accepy credit cards from outside the USA. Items I have tried to buy useing Paypal are also being refused by Palpay with the reason, this item can only be bought with a Paypal account linked to a credit card issued in the USA. It makes useing a proxy useless. I think Harvey Normans owner and his complaint earlier this year re overseas online shopping is behind this and as a result of this I will not enter any of his stores again.
Cheers Altstart

Would using one of these before the plate chiller be better than flameout / whirlpool hop additions?

Yep. That's the idea, as I understand it.

Found some reviews on the NorthernBrewer website.

Apparently, they work really well catching break material too. Bonus.

I bought a hop rocket from ibrew after having a chat with Schooey about it.

It arrived safe and sound with no hassles at all. I bought the 1/2" barb fittings as well.

Yet to use it but I am taking my handpump to the case swap on the weekend and was asked if i was going to pull a beer via the hop rocket used as a randall.

As it happens the keg lid that i use to pull beers via the handpump also has 1/2" fittings :icon_chickcheers:

Hopefully one of the boys will donate their keg of beer to this experiment or we may just hop the hell out of the beer which is going on the handpump (stout) while the owner of said beer isn't looking (Butters) :lol:

Kieren was kind enough to bring his round for a brewday Wednesday & it's definitely user friendly. I was pissed enough at the time that I left my fermenter tap open, no issues with the hop rocket though. I lost about 7L to the lawn but the 16L in the fermenter smells pretty tasty.

I used 100g of flowers & it was pretty full afterwards. What's the most hops someone has used in one?

There was some discussion at last weeks case swap of having 2 between the kettle & chiller. I wouldn't mind giving that a shot.

Latest posts

Back