Blichmann Brewpots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that could be improved is the base. It doesn't have any copper or aluminium so the heat dispersal might not be too good. Maybe something could be brazed on or perhaps it would be easier just to put it on a hot plate or something over the burner to disperse the heat evenly.

Having used a 100% stainless kettle for my last 12 AG brews, I can tell you it probably doesn't really matter that much. With the heat output of the burners most people are using, I'd say it's not necessary. I just question which false bottom should be included by default.

I really like the kettle screen idea and it seems to be a common problem on this board. Leading to such ideas as throwing sand in.

Don't go calling it a problem till you've gone AG and realised that its just one of those things that makes next to no difference, but for some reason we strive for perfection in that area - definitely not worth worrying so much about and dropping a grand on to prevent.

That said, I'm sure it works a treat, and this thing is just that good looking its nearly worth forkin out for before you even get to consider functionality :D

That said, I'm sure it works a treat, and this thing is just that good looking its nearly worth forkin out for before you even get to consider functionality :D
Oh yeah... they're dead sexy. I'll take 3.

*checks wallet* ok, maybe if I win the lotto (which would be unlikely, since I never enter :p ).

It's not so much of a problem, more something that can be solved to come up with a better result than having a kettle with no screen at all. I like their solution as well, very cool but a bit of a modification to the kettle though. The benefits of being able to build the vessel from scratch I guess. That would be nice.......

I get perplexed when I see mashtun vessels with no insulation on them as well. As far as I'm concerned a tun should be insulated as a matter of course. It just works better IMHO. :D

I have to say it though, even though those false bottoms look awesome and I'm sure they work well - don't they look like a bitch to clean? (not poking holes, but seriously to me they look like they would have potential for bits of stuck husk and all sorts...)

I have to say it though, even though those false bottoms look awesome and I'm sure they work well - don't they look like a bitch to clean? (not poking holes, but seriously to me they look like they would have potential for bits of stuck husk and all sorts...)
I was thinking thwe same thing today after a bit of thought, that surely depending on the crush of the grain that it would get through the slots. I suppose it could also get a lot of gunk built up on the underside if you cant get it out and clean it. I suppose a false bottom may be better. Dom your biased though, youve got the brewboy and most of us dont. I wouldnt be drooling over these items if I had a brewboy!

I get perplexed when I see mashtun vessels with no insulation on them as well. As far as I'm concerned a tun should be insulated as a matter of course. It just works better IMHO. :D

mmm not me...I've used both with and without insulation and found the difference nothing to be overly worried about. That said I have gone back to insulating with some aircell since returning to full 90min mash schedules but never felt the need when doing shorter schedules.

Having thought though the process, no insulation on the mash tun makes sense if you consider step mashing and direct fired mash tuns, which I think are more popular in the US than down under.

Can't think how the the 'button louver' false bot-bot would cause cleaning issues. A quick squirt of mains pressure would slap that crap out. I'm an insulator of mash tuns myself, so I agree on that level..

Having thought though the process, no insulation on the mash tun makes sense if you consider step mashing and direct fired mash tuns, which I think are more popular in the US than down under.

Though technically a good thick stainless tun is still insulated, perhaps just not as well as our common esky.

ibrew finally got these in stock. Here are the prices from their website:

BOILERMAKER BREWPOT

10G 38L $ 495.00 Louvre Bottom ..$115.00 KETTLE STRAINER $57.00
15G 57L $ 595.00 Louvre Bottom ..$145.00 KETTLE STRAINER $57.00
20G 75L $ 655.00 Louvre Bottom ..$165.00 KETTLE STRAINER $57.00
30G 114L $ 750.00 Louvre Bottom ..$215.00 KETTLE STRAINER $57.00
55G 208L $1095.00 Louvre Bottom ..$325.00 KETTLE STRAINER $57.00

why would u want a thermometer on ya boiler?for hlt i can understand.

why would u want a thermometer on ya boiler?for hlt i can understand.

Might be handy if you have an immersion chiller and were pumping chilled / ice water? Could see when you reach pitching temp.

Can't think how the the 'button louver' false bot-bot would cause cleaning issues. A quick squirt of mains pressure would slap that crap out. I'm an insulator of mash tuns myself, so I agree on that level..

Haven't been able to shake this question from my mind, so I've had a 'button louvre' false bottom made for my brewery just like the blichmann ones so I can have a play. If it works appropriately (which i'm sure it must if Blichmann have pinned their hopes and dreams on it) out I spose I will have to make some more, but i will post some results from the test brews I do with it. Needless to say, I don't think I would be charging $120 for one to fit a 50 litre pot.... :blink: they don't cost THAT much to make.

Latest posts

Back