Bland Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoidbergmerc

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been having this... situation sence my brewing D-Day.

most of my beers 27\30 all taste fantastic, but a couple are really odd, some will have the right colour and be crystal clear and beautifully carbonated but have absolutely no flavour what so ever, I'm talking none. Water has more flavour than these rouge beers and it's got me stumped how it keeps happening. To top it off I had one on the other end of the scale, it was an amber ale and it was as dark as a darkplace on a moonless midnight and tasted quite different from the rest of the batch.

What's causing this to happen?

All my bottles are perfectly clean, they get washed in napisan, throughly wrinced with filtered water and then sanitised by a no wrince sanitizer that I got from the HBS.

Any light someone could shed on this situation would be of great help.

The beers you're brewing, recipes etc might help a bit.

Not enough details.

ah of course.

The biggest offender was a Mexican Cerveza that was, 1 can of coopers Mexica Cervesa and 1kg of BE2 with 25G of glacier hops in there too.

The current offender is my favourite beer, Amber Ale, 1 can of cooper Canadian Blonde, 1.5kg of Amber malt extract. Which is the one that went dark.

It's also happened to my wheat beer, 1 can of Brewcraft beverian Wheat, 1kg BE1, with 2 saaz hop tea bags.

I'm guessing what you are saying is you are tasting inconsistencies within each batch? If so, the 1st thing i would look at is a bottle infection. Infections can strip qualities from the beer as some bacteria are known to ferment out alot more than the yeast can.

I suppose you could call them inconsistencies but you got from having a beer that's really nice to a beer that has no taste and no mouth feel at all, it's bizzare. It's not like drinking water or flat beer or anything, it just has no flavour what so ever.

Not using Chinese hops by any chance? :ph34r:

Silly questions, I know but just so we get a rough idea, are you brewing around the 23-25L mark in the fermenter?

Perhaps where your buying your kit cans from could be very old stock? I don't really know just bouncing ideas around..

oh yeah, 23L. But how could old stock change the taste of just 1 bottle?

Latest posts

Back