Blackmans Reginald American IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass
Reaction score
So I had Blackmans Brewery Reginald American IPA from a can last night and WOW, super vibrant, lots of resin (I think) and maybe pine?

Has anyone had this and can assist in guiding me to 'learn' the flavours I tasted. I have taken it as a very resinous and piney IPA where the fruit and tropical notes are in the back seat. There was minimal malt sweetness and the finish was dry.

Am I in the ball park? Have been wanting to improve on being able to describe beers with some specifics lately so this would help.

Also welcome any thoughts on likely hops used etc as it was most definitely "my kind" of AIPA. Cheers!

Blackman-s-Brewery-Reginald-IPA-can-be54.png

EDIT: re: recipe, their website is more forthcoming than the can...

REGINALD – IPA

AN IN YOUR FACE, FRUITY INDIA PALE ALE. PROMINENT CITRUS, PEACH AND PINE AROMAS JUMP FROM THE GLASS AND FILL YOUR NOSTRILS WITH EVERY SIP. FOLLOWED BY A MEDIUM MALT BODY THAT’S SURPRISINGLY SMOOTH FOR SUCH A BIG ANGRY BEER!

• STATS: 6.2%
  • COLOUR: 14.2 EBC
  • BITTERNESS:65 IBU
  • MALT: MARRIS OTTER, PALE, WHEAT, MUNICH, CARAMUNICH T2, T3
  • HOPS: CASCADE, CITRA
  • YEAST: YEAST

The part that interests me is the combination of Cascade and Citra giving off what I thought was resin/pine? Are they known to do that in combo or is perhaps an early use of the two simply giving off a "bitterness" I'm associating with resin/pine?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
...The part that interests me is the combination of Cascade and Citra giving off what I thought was resin/pine? Are they known to do that in combo or is perhaps an early use of the two simply giving off a "bitterness" I'm associating with resin/pine?
Hey Deej, fwiw i think i find many hops, especially the general grouping of the New World hops, will produce that "resiny" element if used in high enough quantities. Hops like Galaxy seem to do it, even though they're not known for their "resiny" quality. Admittedly Galaxy is very high in hops oils, so maybe that's a major factor to consider.
Similarly, i find "pine to be a slightly generic quality many (New World) hops have an element of, particularly when used in higher quantities. I'd not necessarily consider either Cascade or Citra to have much in the way of this element, even to a lesser extent. But maybe with some influence from the Wheat in the grist, maybe that brings it out a little.

Also, fwiw, i've found that resiny element to be noticeably present from hops in the boil during the earlier stages of fermentation. By the end, it's dissipated heavily. So i'd say any resiny element in the finished beer is likely to be part of the dry hopping, though backed-up by those in the boil.
Happy to be corrected here, especially as it's a primary concern of mine in hoppy beers that i don't think i've fully nailed yet.
Resin is the awesomeness in any (D)IPA IMHO.

I had this one a few weeks back, I had to my dad's name was Reginald, and remember noticing more fruit like citrus than pine/resin though it was there.
Some breweries leave out an ingredient to keep you guessing at times perhaps this may the case and they've used something like Simcoe as well or it may just be what techno said.

I drink Blackman's beers a fair bit and have been lucky enough to chat to Renn (head brewer/owner) on occasion about his beers.

I get a lot more citrusy hop flavour from Reginald compared to resin/pine. The Angry Reg (limited release imperial version) on the other hand...

You say you got minimal malt sweetness from your tasting but I find it has a very decent amount of malt sweetness and flavour to back up the large bitterness and hop flavour. The Maris Otter and Munich malts give a biscuity chewiness to the beer but are used in low enough quantities/mashed low enough that they provide just the right amount of body and let the hops shine through to dominate.

One hell of a beer, that's for sure.

I recently brewed an American Amber Ale where I used Centennial and Cascade hops throughout the process and dry hopped with Citra and got a great mix of citrus, fruity, piney flavour. Really can't go wrong with any of the American "C" hops.

Blackmans is such a great brewery. Angry Reg is close to my favourite Aussie beer

Suck a cracking beer. DJ, if you crack this recipe please post the results as I'd dust off the brewery for a clone of this.

No need Cam, I'll pickup your Brewery and return it in a clean, ready to go state when you are next able to brew at a date of your choosing [emoji106][emoji481]

Latest posts

Back