BJCP course?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I can keep tabs on numbers, can we do it like the Christmas Lotto. Register your interest by copying the list into a new reply and adding your name to the bottom, so I can keep a running tally for the facilitators of the course.

We can access three courses: Basics, Styles & Tastings and Mastery. Check www.betterbeerscores.com for more info. We get 20% off if we register for Basics and Styles & Tastings. These prepare you for the Entrance Exam and the Tasting Exam. Mastery prepares you for the written portion of the exam.

1. Ruckus
2. Gal Brew
3. Black n Tan
4. doon
5. dave doran
6. sp0rk
7. freek
8. Yeastfridge
9. Spiesy

There probably won't be much point enrolling in the third unless you've already sat the tasting and got 80+.

I'd say that's why they split it into 3 separate webinars in the first place. So consumers aren't paying for a course they can't use. I'm interested in the first two, mainly. I don't have the time to dedicate too much more to judging.

Plus 1

1. Ruckus
2. Gal Brew
3. Black n Tan
4. doon
5. dave doran
6. sp0rk
7. freek
8. Yeastfridge
9. Spiesy
10. srmid

I'd say that's why they split it into 3 separate webinars in the first place. So consumers aren't paying for a course they can't use. I'm interested in the first two, mainly. I don't have the time to dedicate too much more to judging.
Absolutely. Just pointing it out for those who may not be familiar with the new exam format.

I'm considering the tasting - I have certified BJCP but another 5 points in my results would see me able to sit the written exam.
I'll keep an eye on the thread - once dates are known, I'll have a better idea.

1. Ruckus
2. Gal Brew
3. Black n Tan
4. doon
5. dave doran
6. sp0rk
7. freek
8. Yeastfridge
9. Spiesy
10. srmid
11. Crofty

Info on the structure that Manticle mentioned can be found here: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_Exam_Structure.pdf

Style guidelines here: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_stylebook.pdf

Beer scoresheets here: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

I recommend printing out a few of the scoresheets, buying some commercial examples of some of the styles - styles you're unfamiliar with, for preference, and completing the scoresheets (maybe within your homebrew club - it's always better in groups). This will give you some experience in the process of judging.

There are a number of resources available on vocabulary: The Brewing Network have a few podcasts on beer evaluation vocabulary, one by a Certified Cicerone (beer sommelier) and one by Jamil Zainasheff (spelling) who, among other things, is a Grand Master Beer Judge. Podcasts: 11/11/12 Taste Like a Judge and 22/08/11 Beer Vocabulary.

Hope that helps.. :ph34r:

Jeebus that structure PDF is a tad confusing

1. Ruckus
2. Gal Brew
3. Black n Tan
4. doon
5. dave doran
6. sp0rk
7. freek
8. Yeastfridge
9. Spiesy
10. srmid
11. Crofty
12. Franks

Hope you don't mind but I posted a link to this thread over on one of the craft beer Facebook groups - yeer in beer.

There's about a thousand in the group and they're into their beers so might get some extra numbers to boost interest.

No worries at all, mate. The more people we have, the more likely they are to do it.

This thread appears to have slowed down and that makes me a sad panda :(

Crofty said:
This thread appears to have slowed down and that makes me a sad panda :(
Hehe! Far from it, mate. I've been lurking & following the conversations so far...

Rest assured that (in Melbourne at least), this stuff is being ACTIVELY (proactively) considered, discussed & worked-on by the VICBREW committee members. That might not be useful to folks in other areas, but that's for the other State's organising bodies to get onto.....(Hint!).

Hasn't slowed down, I just haven't had anything further to report. The Better Beer Scores guys haven't gotten back to me, so I'm exploring other courses.

If anyone knows of some others, feel free to suggest them, or contact them yourselves.

Anyone looking at this and considering it, it is well worth doing even if you don't do that well (like me) on the exam. I did the Melbourne one a couple of years back and learnt so much more about all the beer styles and brewing. Even if you never plan on doing judging, it's worth doing to gain exposure to some beers you otherwise wouldn't and discuss it with other brewers. Besides, who doesn't enjoy drinking a few beers and talking beer styles and brewing with other brewers/enthusiasts?

Siborg, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Becoming a judge (or even learning the process of judging) WILL make you a better brewer, as you learn the intricacies of ingredients/process & how to evaluate, identify (& therefore rectify) your own brewing problems. I used to judge years ago, but I've gone the way of Stewarding nowadays. I would urge anyone who wants to make better beer to get into it.

The problem we (ie. Comp. organisers) face is to get folks who have done the training to actually PRACTICE that learning without feeling intimidated by a competition environment. It's not hard & you won't be chastised by anyone for sticking your hand-up.

Look at it as practicing your evaluation skills on a multitude of styles. Plus, you get to drink free beer!!

What could possibly be wrong with that??

MartinOC said:
Plus, you get to drink free beer!!

What could possibly be wrong with that??
Some of the beer is awful?

Agree though - stick your hand up to judge at least one comp a year in your area. You drink some beer, talk beer shit with other interested brewers and continue developing your palate. It's well worth it. If you get BJCP (or even if you don't) try and commit to at least one regular comp per year. It's always a struggle to get judges and if you want comps to run successfully with good judging, consider being a part of what makes it happen. As well as the awful stuff, there are some really great beers being brewed so if free beer is your thing, you'll probably have a few pints of the good stuff every time you judge.

manticle said:
Some of the beer is awful?
Well, yes, there IS that...occasionally..

But!! For the most part, there's great beers on offer & you just gotta take the good with the bad.

The beauty is that as a capable/trained/accredited judge, you get to evaluate them, acknowledge the good attributes, Identify the bad ones & improve your own brewing as a result. THAT's the benefit to you as a brewer!

Latest posts

Back