BJCP course?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gents,

Just a few days ago, this very topic was doing the rounds of the VICBREW committee via emails, as the current regime of training/accrediting judges is too stringent & doesn't fit with most folks' capabilities (ie. attendance, not judging capabilities).

It's been a bone of contention in recent years that a lot of people put their hands-up for judge-training, then either don't follow-through with it, or get the qualification & then don't stick their hands-up to judge comp's.

We NEED more judges!!

Andyd is in the process of drafting a proposal to Gordon Strong to look at ways we can get more qualified/accredited judges in Oz., so if you have anything to say, shoot it my-way & I'll collate the responses for Andy (he's WAAAAY too busy to respond to individual PM's atm).

Either PM me with your comments, or (possibly easier for me!), post them here.

Ofcourse I'm in. I was meant to discuss it over with Andy at the Melb brewers meeting but I've missed two meetings for medical reasons.

MartinOC said:
<snip>

Andyd is in the process of drafting a proposal to Gordon Strong to look at ways we can get more qualified/accredited judges in Oz., so if you have anything to say, shoot it my-way & I'll collate the responses for Andy (he's WAAAAY too busy to respond to individual PM's atm).

Either PM me with your comments, or (possibly easier for me!), post them here.
Getting current information available and easily found via the web would be a great start. The BJCP page on VicBrew's website says the next course is 2011. If Vicbrew need any help with that, I'd be happy to assist.

carniebrew said:
Getting current information available and easily found via the web would be a great start. The BJCP page on VicBrew's website says the next course is 2011. If Vicbrew need any help with that, I'd be happy to assist.
PM me your email address & I'll send you the draft proposal put to the committee (I can't attach stuff to PM's).

Mark me down.. I'll do whatever. Even if I have to trade my leave pass to attend ANHC and go do a judging exam/course in Melbourne instead.

Ruckus said:
Mark me down.. I'll do whatever. Even if I have to trade my leave pass to attend ANHC and go do a judging exam/course in Melbourne instead.
Steady, Tiger!

If you've already got the leave pass for ANHC, use it, don't blow it!

We're talking long-term stuff here....

I'm sure I could get away with both.. But that could be the booze talking. :D

Ruckus said:
The BJCP site has a schedule for the exam, and the Aussie exams are lumped in with the USA ones.

As for a course, have a google around, I'm sure there are webinars around for that stuff.

Edit: found this - http://www.betterbeerscores.com
I hadn't spotted that, thank Ruckus. For anyone else who missed it, go to http://www.bjcp.org/exams.php then do a search (CTRL-F for non fanboi's) for Australia. Looks like the next exam is scheduled for June in Melbourne, but the date shows as ??. Does anyone know who Julian Sanders is? I've sent him an email.

The next exam after that is scheduled for Melb in August (again no day), then one in Adelaide on Dec 12.

Sorry prob a noob question but what's this all about course etc..? Just reading previous posts an im not understanding what this course is wit abbreviations etc ? Sorry to ask prob a silly question.

They're talking about a course to cover the content of the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) examinations.

I've contacted the mob at Better Beer Scores to see if they'll run a webinar course at a time that would suit us.

If we get enough people to make it worth their while they may be convinced to stay up late/get up early to cater for us.

Lemme know if you're interested so I can feed this back to them.

GB

Update: the guys at Better Beer Scores have responded. They're working out how best to deliver a program to us, so if there are enough people interested, please spam this thread. They run two courses. One is about brewing techniques and the other is about judging. I kinda wanna do both, but if there's only enough interest for one or the other, I'll go with that one.

Edit: I've suggested to them that 5pm Friday afternoon their time/9am Saturday morning out time, depending on the length of each session might be a good compromise for timezones. Obviously we may have to tweak the times to suit everyone, but that's a decent starting point, I think.

Keep me posted.

Latest posts

Back