Bjcp Certification In Oz ... Whats The State Of The Union?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Lacey

Reaction score
I know that BJCP certification got started in Australia around 2004 or 2005, maybe a touch earlier, I think largely through the efforts of AHB member berapnopod when he was based at the UNSW.

Does anybody know the current situation regarding the number of people who have been certified? How many exams have been conducted and whether there are any in the pipeline at the moment? Anybody close enough to the process like to make themselves known, either here or by PM? I'd like to know a bit more about what would be involved in getting it up and running in Japan, but to start with, I just want to have a good handle on how things have played out in Oz and what people's thoughts are. Unfortunately I have gotten a bit out of touch with the scene in Australia.

TIA

Steve

It has been a while Steve. Can't believe you are still up in Tokyo!

Can't answer all your questions but there is a course being conducted here in Perth at the moment. It's pretty full on and the examination is certainly far from easy. Most of us attending are praying to get the 60% required for the most basic level :huh:

I just found out tonight that the exam requires a Grand Master or someone like that to act as proctor so this basically means someone has to fly out from the US. It is certainly not a course you can whack together in 5 minutes and so I think it might be a while before you see the next one in Australia.

The guy running our course here got 84% in his first exam and I don't think even he can be a proctor here.

Anyway mate, great to see you here. Your help to me has not been forgotten ;)

If I can get you better info, I will get back to you.

:icon_cheers:
Pat

Not sure who is feeding you your information PP, but it's wrong.
BJCP courses are run in Canberra every year, and in many other places as well. We have qualified Australian judges who are able to adminster the test, such as Ross Mitchell (last year's Brewer of the year) and Australia's highest qualified judge.
See this link from our other top judge Mark Hibbard.
http://vicbrew.org/abjcp.html

Following on from this discussion, what would be required to get one of these courses started in Brisbane?

Cheers

I'm already a member of Babbs.

Ross,

Is this something I need to raise at the next meeting ie. organising a BJCP course?

Cheers

Most of what you need to know for scheduling a exam is on this page
I think there is a direct link on that page to contact the person you need to speak with. It does state that national or higher judge required for exam administrator but this can be waivered if it is not possible due to location etc.
The only other thing that you need to meet is have at least five people sitting.

Currently the BJCP site has 69 aussies listed.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied.

Pat, good luck with the exam, though it will be sad to see the number of Aussie judges move off the magic 69 :icon_chickcheers:

Maxt, thank you for the information. That's great and fills in my hazy understanding with some more concrete info. As mentioned in Mark's article, I knew that Andrew organized the first course, but I am not sure how the exam was administered. Do you know if they actually flew in a Grand Poo Bah I mean Grand Master?

Anyway, that's great that Aussie is now up to 69 certified judges, which means there must be quite a few people qualified to administer the exam. That's the kind of critical mass you have to achieve. I can't see us getting to that point here in Japan for some years, but you never know what you can achieve until you put your mind to it.

Cheers

p.s. yes, Pat, I am still here. Working too hard, getting paid too little, but there is always home brew :icon_cheers:

Not sure who is feeding you your information PP, but it's wrong.

Yep, I'm certainly not the best person to ask about this high calibre stuff :) As you say, there are a few (and from what I gather it is only a few) here in Australia who are qualified to act as proctors - all in the eastern states. Our course was fortunate enough to have a proctor from the US come out as there is the state comp on at the same time that this judge is flying in for.

Glad to hear you say that you will become a better brewer from this. After last night's session I am actually feeling quite confident. I am quite confident that I will come last :eek:

Someone told me about this course a couple of days before it started and I had no idea just how advanced it is. To do well, I think it would be best to have an appreciation (enjoyment) about the full spectrum of beers and have a good beer vocabulary. (Mine are very narrow in both areas.) To do really well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to start memorising the relevant beer style categories and sub-categories at least 6 months in advance and start tasting these styles as well in a concentrated frame of mind.

In saying this, I am really happy to be a part of this course. I'm surrounded by a heap of highly skilled and knowledgeable brewers who are all good blokes. It's most enjoyable, interesting and stimulating and of course you will learn a lot no matter what your palate skill or style knowledge. For this alone, it is well worth it.

I see in your link that only half the participants sat the exam. I'm going to sit it for sure and I reckon anyone who isn't easily embarrassed should do it as well. The cost of the exam is a gift. You get an amazingly detailed and personalised report from dedicated people who actually know what they are talking about. Cool! For me, it'll be a fascinating experience, one I'd hate to miss and I'm sure that I will also provide the proctors with something to laugh at too.

I can't see it happening but people's tastes invariably change over time and one day, I might develop an appreciation for more obscure beer styles and I might want to sit the exam again so I'd be silly not to sit it now.

I hope the above information/advice is not wrong again Maxt.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied.

Pat, good luck with the exam, though it will be sad to see the number of Aussie judges move off the magic 69...

p.s. yes, Pat, I am still here. Working too hard, getting paid too little, but there is always home brew :icon_cheers:

Don't worry about the magic number mate. BJCP works in Fahrenheit so the magic number is actually 156! (When taking the exam, we are allowed to use our figures though.)

So, when are you going to visit us or have you turned Japanese for good?

If you ever get the BJCP happening while you are in Tokyo and need a proctor, fly me in. As the old line goes, I'm not qualified but I'm happy to take a look at it for you ;)

Take care,
Pat

I ran a few of the early exams.

The BJCP were very flexible in assigning proctors for these exams. Obviously there were no national judges available so a few of these exams were run using either myself or local professional brewers as proctors. I am pretty sure that the BJCP would be just as flexible for other BJCP exams.

BTW, its perfectly all right to use metric units in the exam. Its all about being clear, as opposed to doggedly sticking to one system.

I am always happy to help out with exams, if I can.

Berp.

Latest posts

Back