Bitterness Still Haunting Me

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
i have tried yet another "morgans k&k with some brew enhancer, this time a queensland bitter....
oh yeah it's bitter alright, just like the last 2 morgans brews i have attempted :angry:
i have even emailed morgans for help but they are way too busy to reply? .
i keep getting extreme bitterness like quinine or tonic water and it even hits your nose this time before it hits your palate.
yes, brewed at 21deg, constant for 12 days then chilled for 3 days, but i did notice as with the other morgans kits that the ferment was slower than most other kits. sanitization is not an issue as i use cleaner and starsan.
i have never had this prob with any other brand of kit, could it be that it just aint suited to kegging?
is there any k&k keggers out there that can shed light on this?
sorry in advance but this is really starting to give me the #$%@! (keep pouring it down the drain but am determined to try again :blink:

i have tried yet another "morgans k&k with some brew enhancer, this time a queensland bitter....
oh yeah it's bitter alright, just like the last 2 morgans brews i have attempted :angry:
i have even emailed morgans for help but they are way too busy to reply? .
i keep getting extreme bitterness like quinine or tonic water and it even hits your nose this time before it hits your palate.
yes, brewed at 21deg, constant for 12 days then chilled for 3 days, but i did notice as with the other morgans kits that the ferment was slower than most other kits. sanitization is not an issue as i use cleaner and starsan.
i have never had this prob with any other brand of kit, could it be that it just aint suited to kegging?
is there any k&k keggers out there that can shed light on this?
sorry in advance but this is really starting to give me the #$%@! (keep pouring it down the drain but am determined to try again :blink:

why do you keep using morgans kits then, try a coopers kit or some other brand,if it isnt working dont keep trying to fix it, move on and give some other brands a go, its not nice to have to tip a brew, not so much the money but the time factor is being wasted.
fergi

Have brewed a few Morgans Kits and that was it.. I don't like them. I had issues with head retention and harsh bitterness..

Try some International Kits by coopers..

Coopers Canadian Blonde is a fine kit and I still use it as part of some partials and produces a nice drop. Semi bland but enough to get you going and can add alot of stuff to it.

Have brewed a few Morgans Kits and that was it.. I don't like them. I had issues with head retention and harsh bitterness..

Try some International Kits by coopers..
thank-you.
so its not just me, do you keg or bottle?
is there any other kits like blackrock that are ok other than the coopers?
i have only tried different morgans kits but all were too bitter(thought it might be just the 1 kit i was having dramas with.
they were bought for me

Well mate being a coopers fan. I like the CPA. but I much prefer to do extracts. A simple extact only takes a hour and the inprovement is out of this world.. But different people like different kits so they all sell.

You will just have to try till you find one you like..

What styles do you like?

cheers.

I am no expert in what is happening I have only done the Blue Mtn Lager which turned out very tasty. You don't say If you are using kit yeast or other so I would suggest using Us05 or Nottingham. Or as mentioned before change kit manafacturer there are lots out there don't have to stay with Morgans. Suggest you go to Dan Murphy and pick up some Punk IPA then you can see what nice bitterness is all about.

Mate, I love to brew Morgans QLD bitter as it is exactly that - my taste buds love bitter beers! In fact the QLD bitter is (from memory) around 35 IBU's when made to 23 litres.
I actually make it to 21 litres as I keg and its slightly more bitter again :)
The morgans australian lager or qld lager has much less bittering or you could try a coopers cervaza or lager as well.

cheers, adam

Ive used the Morgans dockland stout first time with no hop additions but 200g lactose + 1k DDME and the second is in the bottle about 3-4 weeks away from me opening it. Not sure if the flavour changes for kegging but no overt bitterness on my end, I used S04 yeast for mine.
How long are you leaving it before you drink it? Once again I have no experience with kegs but my friend did a bitter(Not Morgans) and after 4-6 weeks in the bottle the bitterness really mellowed out, so maybe leave it for a few weeks before tipping it.

i now brew mainly the mangrove jacks range, very hard to stuff up and doesn't have the homebrew twang like the others.
i don't mind a bitter beer at all but this is not your typical hop bitter in the mogans brews, more like tonic water.
maybe it does come good over time but with 35 degree heat there is no where in my house to condition it,
all my fridges are tied up as a kegerator or brew cabinet.
i might try the us05 yeast but i would have to order it from down south so it'll sit in a postie truck at 30+ degrees for 3 days before i get it
so i haven't pursued this option. might try it in winter time though.
i'm very happy with the mangrove jacks range but insist on trying new things ,hey after all it is a hobby.
just curious what it costs to brew a simple extract brew as a can of malt here is 15 bucks alone.
any good recipes are welcome :)
my local hbs mainly only caters for k&k so this is why i run with it as freight is a killer.

Where are you based milob40?

cheers Ross

Where are you based milob40?

cheers Ross
mackay qld.
by the way the halletau aroma hops i got from you are fantastic. i dry hopped into a mj blonde for 2 days, very tasty indeed and perfect for this style beer. :icon_cheers:

I do a simple Pale Ale extract.

2kg coopers malt $21
500g dex $1.50
100g crystal grain
30g hops $3

The grain is only a few dollars a kg

I get my malt from Big W

Reuse US05 about 10 times

Latest posts

Back