Bit Too Cold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viligar

Reaction score
G'day All,

Got a small concern. I think my beer (currently fermenting) is a bit too cold. Im using a US05. and its sitting between 12-16 Celcius. I don't have a heaters belt or anything, but just moved it inside to where the heated rooms are to bump up the temp.

I also recently did a KIT of St Peters ruby red. and for some reason it was using US05 and sitting between 12 - 16 it has No head and almost tastes like there is no carbonation but i can see many many bubbles.

Any Idea's?!

Thanks fellas!

depends on where your bottles are carbing up, if they are outside it will take a lot longer to carb, i would bring them inside to warm room if you can.

I have never tested the limits of us05 that low, word on the street is 15 degrees is about as low as you should go!!

I've had US05 down to 12 degrees (possibly cooler, that's the official temp). Worked great for fermentation, though slower. But very very very clean.

As for carbonation - you're going to need a little longer at those lower temps, or bring them into a warmer room in range for the yeast.

Cheers

Goomba

I've had US05 down to 12 degrees (possibly cooler, that's the official temp). Worked great for fermentation, though slower. But very very very clean.

As for carbonation - you're going to need a little longer at those lower temps, or bring them into a warmer room in range for the yeast.

Cheers

Goomba

Sounds like US05 is like a Toyota, unbreakable!!

cool, bought the fermenters inside get a bit more heat. its only really that low at night, mornings - day its about 14 - 16.

the bottles are inside and get heated up at night. its been about 3 weeks now.

cool, bought the fermenters inside get a bit more heat. its only really that low at night, mornings - day its about 14 - 16.

the bottles are inside and get heated up at night. its been about 3 weeks now.

Fellow Canberran - Probably stating the obvious, but main thing is the Final Gravity is in the right range, or you run the risk of the yeast waking up in the bottle with your extra carbonation and going ballistic on you when you open it. I have been brewing my ales through winter inside. The fermenter needs a good swirl every day and make sure you aerate well pre-fermentation otherwise you are really increasing the risk of a stuck ferment which you are already risking with the fluctuating cool temps.

Mine are two weeks in the fermenter, cold chill for 6 days to drop the yeast out of suspension and then bottle.

Cheers

J

Back