Bit Of A Novice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
He all, I was hoping to find out the best way to find information on getting started with a Partial mash (I think thats a tin with adding hops?). any info sites i could look at?..
Thanks Again guys, its really appreciated

No mate , look at the K&K areas for that.

Partial mash usually means adding grains to a basic mix

If you tell me what ingredients and style you're looking at I can give you my 2 cents worth

Fermenter1 Modified ESB kit Bavarian Lager
Fermenter2 Modified ESB kit Czech Pilsner
Fermenter3 Bostons Czech Pilsner
conditioner Scratch Extract Pilsner brew - recipe will be posted if good
Drinking Scratch Extract Vienna style lager - not good enough to post -but good enough to drink

He all, I was hoping to find out the best way to find information on getting started with a Partial mash (I think thats a tin with adding hops?). any info sites i could look at?..
Thanks Again guys, its really appreciated

Hi Rik, here's what I did. Clicked on the search button at the top of the page, then typed "Partial Mash" including the quotes in the default forum search field. Lots of into came up, but have a look HERE

Screwy

partial mash is not only adding grain, but is adding grain that contains no sugar, and needs a mash to convert the starch in the grain to sugar (as opposed to steeping crystal grains, which have already had the starch converthed to sugar as part of the manufacturing process, and you are just rinsing the sugars from the grains).

Hence the term, partial mash.

Hi Rik, here's what I did. Clicked on the search button at the top of the page, then typed "Partial Mash" including the quotes in the default forum search field. Lots of into came up, but have a look HERE

Screwy

Thanks Screwy

partial mash is not only adding grain, but is adding grain that contains no sugar, and needs a mash to convert the starch in the grain to sugar (as opposed to steeping crystal grains, which have already had the starch converthed to sugar as part of the manufacturing process, and you are just rinsing the sugars from the grains).

Thanks for the input;)

No mate , look at the K&K areas for that.

Partial mash usually means adding grains to a basic mix

If you tell me what ingredients and style you're looking at I can give you my 2 cents worth

Drinking Scratch Extract Vienna style lager - not good enough to post -but good enough to drink

Hey Bod...

I really am new to the big brew, my ambition is to have a beer similar to new castle brown if that help..
Thanks for your knowledge.

Hey Bod...

I really am new to the big brew, my ambition is to have a beer similar to new castle brown if that help..
Thanks for your knowledge.

Mate, Nookie seems to be very hard to emulate. All the kit forms I've tried are way too sweet and I tend to
overcompensate by adding too many hops.

If anyone out there has a Nookie clone that actually tastes close to the original - please share

And as for the knowledge, I'm a noob here - only just done my second allgrain brew, although I've
been doing partials for a few years.

Next brew Leftover Scottish ale

Yup, realised that, was just trying to say that adding hops didn't make it partial mash, and yes steeping grains isn't either.

It really is nice to see so many active posters here, think I've found a new home :D
Now does anyone have that Nookie recipe?

Now does anyone have that Nookie recipe?

Can't say for certain, but BribieG (the resident Geordie) is the most likely candidate to be able to help on that one....

Latest posts

Back