Bigger Sodastream Bottles At Big W

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately it would appear there are some slight changes with the new bottles & the pin now needs to be longer to depress.
All sodastream adapotors now come with an adjustable pin to make them future proof.

cheers Ross

Not sure about others but I have a Harris reg & don't require an adaptor with the new bottles.

Cheers

Paul

I bought an adapter from Ross a few weeks back. It has an adjustable pin (just need an allen key) and it works beautifully. Still need a spanner to get it tight enough to prevent leaks but couldn't work any better as I see it

I gave up trying to get it to seal. Lost a whole bottle of gas in the process :(
Plumbing and I never mixed very well so i've bitten the bullet and just purchased another 2.6kg bottle

If only the adapter or the SS bottle had a on/off tap...

This may be a dumb question, but do these soda stream setups carbonate the keg as well, or is it just to push the beer through to the font/tap?

I thinking about going to kegs but they would have to be 12 litre size to fit in my bar fridge.

Would it be okay for the gas bottle and reg to reside in the fridge with the kegs?

Would I be able to tandem two kegs up? (yes, same brew! :)

Okay I checked and yes the 40L and 60L ones have completely different pins. The 60L pin is a lot wider, probably 5mm compared to 1mm, and is a little bit more recessed as well. But my Ebay adapter is working perfectly regardless, so maybe my Ebay adapter just had a slightly longer pin so that it was suitable for the old and the new.

Wonder if a thinner seal would help you guys out at all?

I am wondering if a drop of silver solder would help to depress the pin? Might try it when I get home tommorrow.

Cheers

I am wondering if a drop of silver solder would help to depress the pin? Might try it when I get home tommorrow.

Cheers

That should work fine Brad, or a thiner seal as mark suggested.
If you cant get it to work, bring it in mate.

Cheers Ross

Not sure about others but I have a Harris reg & don't require an adaptor with the new bottles.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul H, you just screw the SS bottle straight into the harris reg?

I see craft brewer sell the harris regs LINK, can you confirm if this is the case Ross?

I gave up trying to get it to seal. Lost a whole bottle of gas in the process :(
Plumbing and I never mixed very well so i've bitten the bullet and just purchased another 2.6kg bottle

If only the adapter or the SS bottle had a on/off tap...

I have seen some adaptors around which include taps. Mostly on eBay international. Good job on the 2.6kg bottle though. Soda streams are nice and all....

Bottles are nicer :)

I have an adapter I purchased from CraftBrewer several years ago. I exchanged a 330g cylinder for a 400g cylinder at my local RetraVision yesterday. I use the small cylinders in the brewery for pushing stuff around and party work. I have a 6.8kg cylinder next to the keg fridge.

It seems to me that the female thread cut into the adapter doesn't go far enough "into" the adapter to accommodate the new cylinder button arrangement. So, I would have to make the adapter pin longer and use extra sealing washers. I DO NOT THINK CB OR THEIR PRODUCT IS AT FAULT.

We use the SodaStream lemonade concentrate at home for MrsMostOfIt's soft drink and are perpetually frustrated by availability and product line changes. Having heard rumours of them discontinuing the 330g cylinders, I am about to decide to give them no more of my money. Charging 50% more for 21% more gas is rude and for me the final straw.

I think KegKing are about to sell another 2.6kg cylinder.

Cheers

Was about to lengthen my eBay adaptor pin with silver solder last week Brad but first tried slipping slightly overlength 4mm ID PVC tube over the pin then adding a 2nd "O" ring to the existing one. Worked like a charm.
Just a matter of trimming the tube to the right length (1mm or so) & Bob's your father's brother.

TP

I had the same problem with the old adapter not screwing down enough on the new 60L bottles, so i glued a piece on to the pin to make it longer but i think i made it to long. When i screwd it down it depressed the small valve on the soda stream bottle without gas coming out and now it wont pop back out. I think it might be part of the setup with the new valves to stop people tampering with them ie filling them yourself. Any one else had anything similar happen ? At least i can just take it back and pay for a refill and try again or just get one of the CB adjustable adapters.

Was about to lengthen my eBay adaptor pin with silver solder last week Brad but first tried slipping slightly overlength 4mm ID PVC tube over the pin then adding a 2nd "O" ring to the existing one. Worked like a charm.
Just a matter of trimming the tube to the right length (1mm or so) & Bob's your father's brother.

TP

Ah should have read this 2 days ago Pete. The solder didn't bight onto the brass, nothin a small peice of thin double sided tape didnt fix. It depressed the cylinder but gas leaked pretty bad, so yes a second 'o' ring of course. Where did you get it from? I was thinking of using a keg post one?

Cheers

That should work fine Brad, or a thiner seal as mark suggested.
If you cant get it to work, bring it in mate.

Cheers Ross

Nah she'll be right Ross. I've had it a few years. I will make it work. Thanks for the offer

Cheers

Ah should have read this 2 days ago Pete. The solder didn't bight onto the brass, nothin a small peice of thin double sided tape didnt fix. It depressed the cylinder but gas leaked pretty bad, so yes a second 'o' ring of course. Where did you get it from? I was thinking of using a keg post one?

Cheers

Can't rightly recall Brad. I've got a stash of different sized "o"rings in the toolbox. My local "Home" Hardware keeps lots of different sizes so perhaps it came from there???? Perteck (spp?) also has heaps of different size "o"rings available.
If I find one in the morning I'll send it to you. PM me your addy.

TP

Finally got around to trying the tube and ring you sent Pete. Works a treat mate! Thanks again for sending it mate, much appreciated. Your a genius.

Cheers Brad

Latest posts

Back