Big Plastic Fermentor As A Tun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie Beastie

Reaction score
Good morning,

I recently converted my ali pot tun into an HLT and am considering an easy solution.
Before I go the hack on a perfectly good fermentor that I hardly ever use and could go without I would like to know if anyone has used one of these as a tun and what would the drawbacks be.

1. I know they cope with 100 deg water so no problems there, once a solid tap fitting is intalled.
2. The wall thickness is 3-4mm but I will be insulating for proper insulation obviously.
3. My BB false bottom will fit in there perfectly.
4. I plan to just lop the top off to leave me with a suitable sized vessel and fashion a lid to suit. Maybe even cut down to suit and get a pro to plastic weld it back together once the BB bottom is in there, the drawback being there is that I won't be able to remove the BB bottom for cleaning, which I will need to do.

Any obvious drawbacks that im looking straight past?

YB

SDC11402.JPG

If oyu screw on the current lid, and cut the plastic neatly enough.. you can just use the cut off piece/lid combo as your new lid. glue/screw a couple of tabs on it so it doesn't slide off.

How big is it?? Looks like a 60L jobbie. They are kind of expensive... if you're sure your never going to use it fair enough, but you can probably buy a decent eski or even pot for the money one of those things costs.

http://allquip.com.au/home/index.cfm?fusea...amp;startrow=16

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7335

$15 the difference between metal and plastic.

I'm a little concerned with how well the falsey will sit in the bottom??

80L Food grade container @ Bunings = $20
Camping Mate = $5
Tape = $2

Constant 80+% efficiency with a copper manifold.. There are cheap and good ways to go here. Dont chop up your 60L fermenter!

Cheers - Mike

Yeah changed my mind on the whole thing.
I sacrificed/ cut down a 60L Aluminium pot - will post thread soon.

It was a fermentor I never used, not big on double batches, rather do 2 @ 23L in 2 fermentors, more time for me and the man cave to bond lol.

I'm experimenting with a couple of options for my single vessel recirculating RIMSY thingy system. I've bought a plastic handy pail from Bunnings which I'm cutting down, also I have a 25L normal shape fermenter that will also fit in the urn. Essentially they will be used as a mash vessel sitting inside the urn then raised in the same way as a BIAB bag. The point is with plastic, it only needs to be able to handle up to mashout temperatures, not boiling, and all thick food quality vessels should have no difficulty with handling 75 degrees.

Back