Big Mistake Made On First Brew!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just recently bottled my first brew and came to the realisation that I've made a big stuff-up. I used normal sugar for the bottle priming and have added too much sugar per bottle. I went along and put 2 teaspoons of sugar in each long neck instead of just the 1. I should of read the kit instructions again before bottling. I think I got confused as I have read you put 2 carb drops in for long necks and I assumed that meant 2 teaspoons.

Should I tip the bottles out before they explode? I assume theres a very high chance of having a heap of bottle bombs! Is there anything I can do to prevent them from blowing up or saving the brew?

Thanks for your help!

You could try and vent the bottles every couple of days for a week or so

Just remove the caps and recap them immediately a few times?

Are you using glass? If so, then remove the lids asap. Bottle bombs are dangerous. Use eye ptrotection.

How long has it been since you bottled? If it has been a few days, then you may need to be aware of the beer gushing out.

If you're using PET, squeeze the bottle. When it starts to get hard, simply release the pressure and reseal. You probably won't need to do it more than once, but if you notice the beer getting overcarbonated, vent the pressure another time.

Yep...give them time to get some carb in (but not enough to gush everywhere making life hard), then uncap and recap. As HB79 said, you might need to do this every few days...probably 3? or 4? ish times.

In between....keep them somewhere isolated, boxed up, so if they do blow, noone will get hurt.

+1 for keeping them boxed up, and even covered with a dropsheet... That glass goes everywhere.
Also, get yourself a little bottler. 1/2 measurement for stubbies/ full measurement for tallies.
You can get it from Kmart/Big W.

Thanks for the replies, fellas! It's pretty embarrassing making such a silly mistake and to hear serious replies is very helpful.

They've been bottled for 3 days. When I get home today I will uncap them and recap them. I have them sealed in a larger plastic container with blankets around them inside so creating an outside mess isn't a worry. The thing I am worried about it is when one goes the whole lot might explode. I will report back as to how frothy/bubbly they are.

Is there anyother way I could temporarily seal them between the 3-4 days without uncapping and recapping?

Cheers for the responses. :)

PS. I will be using carb drops from now on!

Also, get yourself a little bottler. 1/2 measurement for stubbies/ full measurement for tallies.

Havent used one of these for years but 2 teaspoons wouldnt be that far off the full measurement for longnecks would it?

Havent used one of these for years but 2 teaspoons wouldnt be that far off the full measurement for longnecks would it?
Honestly can't remember, and CBA searching.
Don't worry, I've done the same thing, Aus_rider, and I'm sure lots of us have too.

Look into bulk priming too. It's ideal for mixtures of bottle sizes.

2 teaspoons would be fine i recon. no more sugar in that than 2 carb drops.

edit:
and at least you didnt stuff up your brew, only your bottling!

Do you have some digital kitchen scales? Get one of those little bottlers and weigh out 5 scoops of the large side. Compare this weight to 10 teaspoons of sugar, using the same teaspoon as when you bottled. See how much difference there is.

I also would be doing a weight test before going to the hassle re-capping. Actually, I'll do one tonight for you if you dont have a little bottler measuring scoop.
Cheers
Steve

I don't have digital scale or "little bottler". If you didn't mind comparing the 2 I would be very grateful if you could!

Thanks for the help guys!

I don't have digital scale or "little bottler". If you didn't mind comparing the 2 I would be very grateful if you could!

Thanks for the help guys!

Will let you know tonight.
Cheers
Steve

One thing to be aware of.
In my experience, those little measuring scoops tend to carbonate at the top end of the scale.
I use one, but I've cut mine back to about 2/3rds of the volume of standard, and my beers still carb up plentiful.

Assuming four grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon, that works out to be a total of 216 grams for a 27 bottle batch. I have bulk primed a light ale with up to 200grams previously, and it was perfectly fine ( i was aiming for a high carbonation).

If you have space in your fridge to stand the whole batch up, do that, leave for a month then start drinking them.

OR to err on the absolute safe side, as said, take the caps off and recap them.

AusRider

1 scoop of plain white sugar from the longneck side of the measurer is 6gms
1 heaped teaspoon is 12 gms
1 flat teaspoon is 8 gms

If you used a heaped teaspoon x 2 id be taking the lids off or at least venting them somehow over the next couple of weeks

Hope that helps
Cheers
Steve

I guess it's time to make the point that a teaspoon can mean many things, unless it's a measured teaspoon scoop. Also is it a level teaspoon or a heaped teaspoon?
If in doubt let it out... I overcarbed a series of pets once, after opening each on twice weekly for a month i still lost half a bottle to over frothing when opening....

good one, steve. I had a feeling the scoops would be around the 6g mark, but had a 'gut' feeling that normal teaspoon would be more.

Flattop...."If in doubt, let it out". (edit: unlike a vindaloo fart....if in doubt, hold it in. :ph34r:) ....brilliant. :lol: Under carb is better than overcarb any day of the week imho.

Thanks again for the replies boys.

I know it doesn't make much difference because I did double, but the teaspoons were measured with mums plastic cooking measure spoons. They weren't heaped but flat just under the top.

Lesson has been learnt and I've already been down to the LBS to get 2 packets of carb drops! Can't wait to start my new batch! Will feel alot more confident in brewing this second batch which is a Coopers Mexican Cerveza with provided yeast and brew enhancer.

I guess it's ultimately up to me but what would you guys do?

Btw, the batch is wrapped in 2 blankets and sealed inside a larger plastic tub that has the lid locked on. Hopefully it doesn't blow before I unncap again tomorrow!

Back