Big Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorby

Reaction score
Got home last night and discovered this, any idea on what it may be and what caused it? Cheers

th_DSC00042.jpg

Got home last night and discovered this, any idea on what it may be and what caused it? Cheers

How long did you leave the beer fermenting for?

Did you properly clean and sterilize all your equipment?

Did you have dirt under your fingernails when you brewed ? :)

All things I've been picking up from reading and talking to people about HB....

Bit of a bugger you've lost a batch.

Clint

Two week ferment 21 degrees, everything was spotless as per usual. The fermenter next to it was identical, and came out perfect. BUT......I did not tip it out!!!! I decided to taste a sample from the tap, and it wasnt spit out throw up kinda reaction, it just tasted very green. Kegged about 15 litres of it to make sure none of the white shite got into the keg, refrigeratored it and left it over night. Popped the hatch this morning and it smelt like beer. Going to leave it for a few weeks and see how she goes. Any idea of what this white beast maybe?

Ok have you smelt it or tasted it? Does it have an off smell? If so can you describe it?

Have you got a better pic? - i can't actually see if there's a problem from the one you posted - looks like it may be just yeast.

cheers Ross

What yeast did you use?

"BUT......I did not tip it out!!!! I decided to taste a sample from the tap, and it wasnt spit out throw up kinda reaction, it just tasted very green"

Just used the kit yeast was a Blackrock lager with 500g light malt. Will try and get the other photos off the camera tonight. Smelt ok also so fingers crossed.

Well if it smells ok and tastes ok then keep going with I suggest.

Yeasts can make some cruddy looks stuff onto of wort.

I can't tell cos it's so tiny. But if it tastes ok and smells ok then I'd just go with the flow.

I just opened and enjoyed an APA I had in primary for 4 weeks before bottling it.
The top of it in the fermenter looked similar to what yours does, just not as much of it, from what I can see from the small photo.

My beer tastes just fine, with absolutely no sign of infection.
So, I agree to just go with it.

If you dump it, you'll never know whether you've chucked what could have been a good brew.

I can't tell cos it's so tiny. But if it tastes ok and smells ok then I'd just go with the flow.

Thanks guys I wont be dumping it. Am going away for two weeks so will leave it chill, by the time I get to taste it she will be close to a month old. Have been doing K & K for 9 years on and off, and this is the first one I thought I would loose. Shall start a new thread when I crack this keg and once again Thanks for all your help. Cheers Craig

Thanks guys I wont be dumping it. Am going away for two weeks so will leave it chill, by the time I get to taste it she will be close to a month old. Have been doing K & K for 9 years on and off, and this is the first one I thought I would loose. Shall start a new thread when I crack this keg and once again Thanks for all your help. Cheers Craig

Have a safe trip and see you again soon. :party:

Cheers for that going to NZ for the first time with the wife, so hopefully it wont be a BAAADDDDD trip.... :p :p

The 2nd picture doesn't look good at all, but it's still difficult to see with such a tiny snap shot.

Cheers Ross

The 2nd picture doesn't look good at all, but it's still difficult to see with such a tiny snap shot.

Cheers Ross

If it is bad we'll know in two weeks :icon_vomit:

I have this funny feeling it's going to be ok.

OK, so the other day I was reading this thread and I saw the pictures and thought, that doesn't look too good, I'm glad I've never had an infection. Then a few days later I go to throw some finings into my latest batch and BAM! deja vu.

What the hell?!?! Why does my beer look like the surface of the moon?

Here's the scenario:
I've never made a toucan so I wanted to see what such a simple brew would taste like. So this batch consisted of 2 x Tooheys Special Lager kits made up to 23L and using the kit yeast and nothing else added. It was left for 14 days in the primary before I checked it and found this:

MoonBeer1.JPG

MoonBeer2.JPG

MoonBeer3.JPG

MoonBeer4.JPG

After reading this thread and talking to some homebrew pros that I know, I decided to go ahead and bottle some of it to see how it would turn out. I gave it a smell and it still smelled like beer so I bottled 8 long necks worth. I had a taste of the portion I drew off to test the FG and it didn't taste too foul either so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway this is what it looked like when I was bottling it (2 days after the photos above).

MoonBeer5.JPG

And this is what I did with the rest of it!

GoodbyeMoonBeer.JPG

I'll have to try and remember to post back here once it's ready to drink and let you know what it's like so that future MoonBeer creators will know whether to chuck it or bottle it.

Back