Biab Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More power to you Huscre, it sounds like you have a solid plan. The funny thing about brewing (I have found) is that the more good stuff you are exposed to, the higher your standards become. Many (most?) of us started on Cooper's kits fermented at waay above 18 degrees and thought the beer was just fine! This is another reason to join a club, it expands not only what you know, but what you think is 'good'. Mind you, if you like the product you get from BIAB, and it is everything you are looking for, why go any further? On the other hand, most good brewers I know are always looking to brew better beers.
I started AG via BIAB, but until I taste some award winning examples Iam not convinced that it is equal to conventional mashed beer. I hope to see some BIAB at the Nats later this year, and am happy to be proved wrong! It's all about good beer.

I started AG via BIAB, but until I taste some award winning examples Iam not convinced that it is equal to conventional mashed beer.

I disagree with you here, I think starting out in BIAB is just like starting out with conventional mashed beer, youre not going to make a perfect beer first time! You need to make finetune the process before you will start to get good consistent results..

Im entering a beer into the NZ NHC and I dont feel that I will be disadvantaged by it being a BIAB beer :icon_cheers:

I disagree with you here, I think starting out in BIAB is just like starting out with conventional mashed beer, ....
...if you are mashing at much higher L:G ratio and getting a highly dextrinous wort.

I put out the challenge last year to hear from any award winning BIAB'ers to come forward. None (to my knowledge) every have. I am sure it possible, especially in heavier beers (stouts etc), but I would love to know if any BIAB beers have won in light lager catagories in major competition.

And before any fervent BIAB;s jump in...if you love the beer you make, I don't have any problem at all. What I do have a problem with is the contention that it is the equal of well made conventionally mashed beer. This is misleading to brewers wanting to improve their craft.
If I am wrong the competition results should prove it.

I thought the community had (largely) moved on from BIAB being an inferior method. Sure it's a new-ish procedure, and by nature many people, particularly older generations, are reluctant to accept change (in many aspects of our existence, not just beer-making), but is it truly a compromise ? From all reports, efficiency is equal to 3 vessel brewing.

Being one that trawls old posts from time to time, the negativity around BIAB at the time of it's inception is similar to the recent threads about Olive Oil in starters compared to traditional oxygenation, despite the proven success rates of the former.

Very good call-out though Max. Any BIAB competition winners, or even high-place getters ? PErhaps the method is too young yet to realise it's full potential as a valid movement.

When you reach mash temperature there is really no need to apply extra heat provided you lag the pot with old doonah, beach towels etc. I usually lose one degree per hour. Probably an idea to put the pot on a circle cut from a camping mat then swaddle it.
Better luck next time :icon_cheers:

This is what i do also. Used a spare curtain i found in my wifes studio which did not go down to well with SWMBO but it did the job well. I now use an old woll blanket and wrap it around my pot with ocky straps. I loose about 1 deg per hour and dont have the flame on at all while the bag is in the pot. I also use a cake rack that works well in keeping the gain and bag form the base.

Dang, you should be getting a lot more than 5kg of grain for $44!

This is an intriguing post. I couldn't let it slip by because I'm starting to suspect I may be ordering the wrong grains. $17 of that $44 is for the express postage. so the grain (undelivered) is around $25 total for 5kgs. Does that tally up correctly now?

I'm making the black beer as recommended in the BIAB booklet/checklist.

I have to admit I was a little disheartened when my first AG bill came to $50 without the yeast. I thought AG was meant to be cheap. I can make a thoroughly enjoyable stout for ~$12 using a coopers can and a few random household fermentables. The bill for a 60minute IPA I'm planning is >$100!

Hopefully with more experience I'll get a feel for what to buy in 25KG bags and not end up with 24.9KG of <insert rare specialty malt here> sitting around for the next 5 years.

Dave's Home Brew & Absolute Home Brew both do free delivery for orders over $100 (to Sydney Metro area at least - may differ for W'gong customers).

EDIT - Dave's site states:

Orders over $100 anywhere in N.S.W. & A.C.T. Free for the first 19kg (conditions apply)

Absolute states:

Orders over $100 - Greater Sydney (N2) & ACT - No Postage Charged

Im sure this has been covered before, but has anyone looked into the bleaching and stabilising chemicals used to produce fabric materials?

I am still unsure as to how BIAB is an improvement over a stainless/copper drain?

Someone please enlighten me.

cheers

Darren

Im sure this has been covered before, but has anyone looked into the bleaching and stabilising chemicals used to produce fabric materials?

I am still unsure as to how BIAB is an improvement over a stainless/copper drain?

cheers

Darren

Cost.

cheers

Darren

Maybe you should just brew in a method that works for you and let others brew in a method that works for them.

Perhaps you have some actual information on the terrible birth deformities all the BIABer's children will get in years to come rather than just paranoid internet fancies?
Otherwise I suggest you buy yourself some aluminium foil and make yourself a hat.

People have been using fabric (eg muslin) for food related processes for quite some time now.
By the way - did you know they've taken all the lead out of pencils?

EDIT - Dave's site states:
Orders over $100 anywhere in N.S.W. & A.C.T. Free for the first 19kg (conditions apply)
Absolute states:
Orders over $100 - Greater Sydney (N2) & ACT - No Postage Charged

They are both new to me, I've bookmarked them both. Cheers Renegade :icon_cheers:

...if you are mashing at much higher L:G ratio and getting a highly dextrinous wort.

I put out the challenge last year to hear from any award winning BIAB'ers to come forward. None (to my knowledge) every have. I am sure it possible, especially in heavier beers (stouts etc), but I would love to know if any BIAB beers have won in light lager catagories in major competition.

And before any fervent BIAB;s jump in...if you love the beer you make, I don't have any problem at all. What I do have a problem with is the contention that it is the equal of well made conventionally mashed beer. This is misleading to brewers wanting to improve their craft.
If I am wrong the competition results should prove it.

My second BIAB brew won the BABBs mini comp in February. It was a regular strength Yorkshire Bitter.

cheers

Darren

My BIAB bag has done 33 brews and if there is still any bleaching and stabilising stuff in it then I'll walk to Bourke. Erm isn't copper toxic?
As to enlightening you why would I bother?

The main drawback with traditional brewing is it takes to long. With BIAB as soon as you finish the mash you hoist the bag and start the boil. I also don't have to clean and store the additional equipment that comes
with traditional brewing. What are the draw backs with BIAB? I dont know having never tried it the traditional way, but they'd have to be significant to get me to switch sides.

Maybe you should just brew in a method that works for you and let others brew in a method that works for them.

Perhaps you have some actual information on the terrible birth deformities all the BIABer's children will get in years to come rather than just paranoid internet fancies?
Otherwise I suggest you buy yourself some aluminium foil and make yourself a hat.

People have been using fabric (eg muslin) for food related processes for quite some time now.
By the way - did you know they've taken all the lead out of pencils?

Yeah Manticle,

Perhaps you should cover your eyes with that tin foil. Yes, developing world citizens will resort to using anything they can get their hands on. Not sure how many people have until now used metres of CURTAIN material boiled to make food products. Sorry to have intruded into your ideal world.

BribieG,
I certainly hope after 33 batches the curtain material is not still leeching.

cheers

Darren

The main drawback with traditional brewing is it takes to long. With BIAB as soon as you finish the mash you hoist the bag and start the boil. I also don't have to clean and store the additional equipment that comes
with traditional brewing. What are the draw backs with BIAB? I dont know having never tried it the traditional way, but they'd have to be significant to get me to switch sides.

I'm just starting doing the full traditional method (and probably not very well) but if you're making beer you're enjoying and you haven't died, I'd just keep doing what works for you. The day Darren actually offers some useful advice instead of irritating musings with no apparent substance will be the day I brew a beer better than Westmalle.

Personally I'd like to see both happen.

Yeah Manticle,

Not sure how many people have until now used metres of CURTAIN material boiled to make food products. ............(snip)
cheers

Darren

About half a billion Indian housewives (paneer, the white cheese of India) oh and probably the same number of Greek Housewives over the last three millenia with Feta and millions of Euro and North americans making fruit jellies and .........

Actually D. has a point, maybe we should just go to cheesecloth which would probably count towards 'organic' beer.

Not sure how many people have until now used metres of CURTAIN material boiled to make food products. Sorry to have intruded into your ideal world.

Which BIAB'ers are boiling their fabric ? Perhaps my understanding of the process is incorrect.

As an aside, why does eveyone jump on Darren way more than cutting down other members ? It appears that every time I see his posts, people go to great pains to kick him in the teeth.

Yeah Manticle,

Perhaps you should cover your eyes with that tin foil. Yes, developing world citizens will resort to using anything they can get their hands on. Not sure how many people have until now used metres of CURTAIN material boiled to make food products. Sorry to have intruded into your ideal world.

BribieG,
I certainly hope after 33 batches the curtain material is not still leeching.

cheers

Darren

Did you have anything to back this up or are you just talking out your arse? You act like an experienced brewer but I rarely, if ever see you offer anything substantial or even vaguely helpful to the homebrewing community.

You cast aspersions on people because they sell hop rhizomes for $10, complain about the sponsors and suggest everyone else's brewing methods (BIAB, no-chill etc) will turn them into six armed walking chancres. What you don't do is offer anyone your supposed wealth of experience. New brewers like myself might actually be interested to hear something more valid than boring, internet shitstirring. I can get that elsewhere thanks.

If you have some genuine information then please - we're all ears. Otherwise crawl away into your hole, brew whatever suits you and shut up because nobody else cares.

To quote another regular here in times like this....

WOW

Thanks for the positive words guys,

I was hoping to make a big comeback post today with stories of epic success, but unfortunately my replacement grain didn't arrive in the post this morning.

CraftBrewer isn't open on Mondays.

Latest posts

Back