BIAB upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been thinking recently of upgrading from BIAB (40L crown urn) to eventually a 3V Rims or Herms system. I'm thinking Herms over Rims for the non scorch factor and from what I've researched most home brewers seem to favour Herms over Rims.

Anyway my question is, If I were to buy something like this:
https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/40ltr-nano-brewery-304ss-electric-brew-in-a-bag
Could I use my current 40L urn and the immersion chiller as a HLT/Herms unit together with the 50L tun as a 2V system? Are there any pros or cons to doing this?

Like i said i want to upgrade my system to eventually a 3V system, but have no idea where to start with what I currently have and this would be the stepping stone unless I'm way off the mark or there are any major flaws in my idea.

Cheers
Chap

Edit: spelling

Hi all

I've been thinking recently of upgrading from BIAB (40L crown urn) to eventually a 3V Rims or Herms system. I'm thinking Herms over Rims for the non scorch factor and from what I've researched most home brewers seem to favour Herms over Rims.

Anyway my question is, If I were to buy something like this:
https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/40ltr-nano-brewery-304ss-electric-brew-in-a-bag
Could I use my current 40L urn and the immersion chiller as a HLT/Herms unit together with the 50L tun as a 2V system? Are there any pros or cons to doing this?

Like i said i want to upgrade my system to eventually a 3V system, but have no idea where to start with what I currently have and this would be the stepping stone unless I'm way off the mark or there are any major flaws in my idea.

Cheers
Chap

Edit: spelling
Hey Chap, I think I understand your problem. I use a chiller as a herms unit in a 34 L cheeky peak pot. You don't
mention how many litres your aiming for in a 3 V system which is important. I have a 3V system and a BIAB system.
BIAB ; large SS rigid basket made of 400 micron mesh in a 40 L crown urn. 3V system; a cheeky peak MT, the HLT
and Crown urn as a kettle. The problem with BIAB is high gravity beers and lower efficiency of baskets compared to
traditional mash tuns. I love BIAB for quicker clean ups and shorter brew days.
If your not sure how big a system you want , it may be worth getting something a bit bigger to give you more options.
Example; say use the urn as a herms unit (using the chiller) and the chiller as a chiller later. Get a 50 L cheeky peak
MT and a 70 L cheeky peak kettle. You could store wort in dangerous goods rated cubes or standard cubes if is less
than 85 deg C when you fill them. Or get a 34 litre MT , 34 litre HLT and use the urn as a kettle.

Hey rooster,
I haven't really thought too much about batch size other than wanting the capacity for at least double batches down the track, possibly more.
I get what you're saying though. Might have to go back to the drawing board and decide on a final design and work toward that

Latest posts

Back