Biab recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillz

Reaction score
Looking for tried and tested recipes that work well in a biab set up.
Share your best if you dare!

I've got a red ale that I am always brewing. If you like red ales I'll post the recipe :bigcheers:

Sonds great Schikitar, im up to brew anything.
Havent tried a Red yet, first brew was the standard ipa and was pretty good, loved the malt flavors in it but have just found them changing as the beer ages and getting more sour/grassy[emoji848].

Grassy would more likely be from hops than malt. Sour is usually a sign of infection.

Anyway, this is the red ale recipe, other than changing the yeast from US-05 to 1469 a couple of years ago it has remained unchanged since I first brewed it back in 2013 some time.

25 litre batch size, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency.
4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 86.6 %
0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5 6.5 %
0.200 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 4.3 %
0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 7 1.5 %
0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 1.1 %
Mash at 67C for 70 minutes, 72C for 15 minutes*, 78C mash out.

20.00 g Cascade [6.60 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 15.0 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 8.3 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 12.0 IBUs
30g Cascade dry hop near end of ferment.
75 minute boil.

West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast
Ferment at 18C.

Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0127 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 35.3 IBUs
Est Color: 31.9 EBC

Don't be fooled by the lowish ABV, it is very flavorful and a lovely session ale. The Caraaroma is most dominant but the hops are present enough to balance it nicely. The latest one which I kegged on Saturday also featured an addition of oak chips when I dry hopped it. Keen to see how that went. With the hops, I just leave the Cascade and Centennial additions the same (AA% varies), and adjust the Magnum to keep the IBUs around 35. Sometimes I just increase the FWH Cascade if the Magnum ends up only being like 3g or something stupidly small.

*This mash step is optional. I incorporate it as it's meant to assist with head retention, but you don't have to do it.

Sounds like a winner, a session beer would be good. Ill put an order in online for the ingredients and get brewing in the next few weeks.
Thanks

hows this look?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-02 Beer Recipe Calculator - Brewer's Friend.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-02 Beer Recipe Calculator - Brewer's Friend.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 319
FG is a bit low but recipe looks good, what's the mash temperature set to in the software? The Cascade addition gets added when you remove the grain bag, or finish draining it. I usually let that addition steep for 15 minutes before I start bringing the wort to boil. If you like you could increase the amount of that addition and drop the Magnum. Up to you though.

67c for 70 mins,
72c for 15 mins.
Changed cascade to 20g
Dropped magnum to 4g
Now sit at 36.47ABV.

You can set that first addition to "First Wort" in BrewersFriend, just FYI.

Recipe looks good though, what yeast did you set in there because that possibly explains the FG being lower (BrewersFriend won't account for mash temp)..

Oh, and make sure when you buy your hops you look at the packaging and update the AA in BF to reflect what you've bought - I've found those numbers to be off a few times and I've had to recalculate the additions accordingly..

Seems a bit piss poor for it not to take into account mash temp when predicting FG readings, that's like one of the biggest influences on it. Anyway, I usually find this beer finishes around 1.012ish with the 67C mash temp and 1469 yeast. I've lost count of how many times I've brewed it now, but it's a regular on tap, probably gets brewed 4-5 times a year.

Seems a bit piss poor for it not to take into account mash temp when predicting FG readings
Agreed, is there a formula for working that out? Does BeerSmith do that? I dunno, I've only ever used Ian's BIAB spreadsheet and BrewersFriend..

Thanks for the hlp guys, put in safale us-05. Might give beer smith a go if in the long run its a better program.

Anyone got a simple reliable oatmeal stout or alike that might match up with some of the grains or hops from the red ale recipe, as i have to order online it would be nice to get it all at once.

BF is fine, just be aware that it doesn't care about your mash temps when calculating gravities. Very general rule of thumb (as I understand it in simple terms);
  • High mash temp (eg. 67-69) = more unfermentables = more sweetness = higher than expected FG
  • Lower mash temp (62-64) = less unfermentables = drier finish = lower or expected FG
I typically aim in the middle there depending on what style, but somewhere between 65-67 for ales.

Because you've thrown in US-05 instead of what Rocker is using then the resulting FG is much lower compared to the yeast he prefers.

Anyone got a simple reliable oatmeal stout or alike that might match up with some of the grains or hops from the red ale recipe
Well this shouldn't be too hard, you can use Magnum (FWH) / Cascade (Flameout) in a stout no problem, then maris (~80%), caraaroma (~6%), black malt (~2%) and then maybe some chocolate or brown malt(~5%) and oats (~7%) - play with those numbers, that's just off the top of my head and could be very unreliable!

Agreed, is there a formula for working that out? Does BeerSmith do that? I dunno, I've only ever used Ian's BIAB spreadsheet and BrewersFriend..
Beersmith does it. I would have thought any decent brewing software would actually. I'd imagine there is some formula for working it out but I have no idea what it is. The yeast will of course affect the FG as well to a degree.

That beer started out simply designed to taste like a pale ale but look red, hence why I originally used US-05 to ferment it. However, the influence from the Caraaroma set it apart and I changed the yeast to enhance it more but still finish dry enough that it didn't end up too chewy and sweet. 1469 did the trick.

Back