Biab Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitting it in the pot becomes a serious issue. My BiaB pot is only 16L and I use it for small experimental batches. I tried to work out whether I could do just what you suggest, and for anything other than really quite low gravity beers, the answer is no I'm afraid

Sorry to hijack this but I don't feel my question is worthy of its own thread..

I've read quite a bit on BIAB, and I'm keen to make the jump. But I figure that I might do it in baby steps.. I already have a 16 (maybe 17? I haven't measured it exactly, will obviously do so before I get cracking) litre pot laying around, so I want to do some smaller batches.

What size batch do you end up with using this sized pot? 10 litres? What kind of grain bill do you use?

I know that a lot of the answers to that are "it depends" but I'm just curious to see what you're doing with your setup.

Cheers!

Im happy to say we have some BIAB bags being made up right now.We had PP do the design so we have a bag strong enough, seam taped and tag's :super: .They should be ready in a week or so.Patch's even convinced me into supplying a lot more BiaB related gear.More on that later .
GB

Is it made from stainless?

I've read quite a bit on BIAB, and I'm keen to make the jump. But I figure that I might do it in baby steps.. I already have a 16 (maybe 17? I haven't measured it exactly, will obviously do so before I get cracking) litre pot laying around, so I want to do some smaller batches.

What size batch do you end up with using this sized pot? 10 litres? What kind of grain bill do you use?

I know that a lot of the answers to that are "it depends" but I'm just curious to see what you're doing with your setup.

Cheers!

Youd probably end up with less than 10 litres after the boil, but you could try and make up for it by using more grain than you would initially want...

Take my advice, just go and buy a 80-100 litre pot, then youll never ever need to upgrade again... My 30 litre pot is good for now, but im allready itching for something bigger, and I was after my second brew... With my pot the Absolute MAX I can fit is 28 litres of water and 4.2kg of grain, this gets me about 20 litres after the boil... Which is good, but not quite enough as far as im concerned... The thing is, youll do one brew, realise how simple it is and want to go and get better stuff, if you get the biggest you can now, you wont have to worry about it later.

Im getting my mate whos a fabricator to make me a 100 litre jobby out of stainless off cuts, will take him a month or so but it will be worth the wait, and itll come with a tap at the bottom :D

Just my $0.02

Youd probably end up with less than 10 litres after the boil, but you could try and make up for it by using more grain than you would initially want...

Take my advice, just go and buy a 80-100 litre pot, then youll never ever need to upgrade again... My 30 litre pot is good for now, but im allready itching for something bigger, and I was after my second brew... With my pot the Absolute MAX I can fit is 28 litres of water and 4.2kg of grain, this gets me about 20 litres after the boil... Which is good, but not quite enough as far as im concerned... The thing is, youll do one brew, realise how simple it is and want to go and get better stuff, if you get the biggest you can now, you wont have to worry about it later.

Im getting my mate whos a fabricator to make me a 100 litre jobby out of stainless off cuts, will take him a month or so but it will be worth the wait, and itll come with a tap at the bottom :D

Just my $0.02

Appreciate your input mate.

I have no truck with getting a bigger pot, and I most definitely will in the very near future. My current thinking, though, is just churning out a few smaller brews in the short term.. That way, if my first forays into AG are crap then I don't have much crappy beer to force down! Also it gives me something new to do right now.

That 100l monster with tap at the bottom sounds very nice.. As you say, you'll never need to upgrade!

Appreciate your input mate.

I have no truck with getting a bigger pot, and I most definitely will in the very near future. My current thinking, though, is just churning out a few smaller brews in the short term.. That way, if my first forays into AG are crap then I don't have much crappy beer to force down! Also it gives me something new to do right now.

That 100l monster with tap at the bottom sounds very nice.. As you say, you'll never need to upgrade!

I feel you mate, I had to settle for the 30 litre jobby for now, and as I said, id rather be stuck with 20litre AG batches than 25 litre extract brews...

What I would probably do if I were you, because your pot is so small, maybe do two 8ish litre batches of the same thing, then mix them together in the fermenter??? Might work, and then youll still get close to a full size batch...

Edit : Youll probably find that after your first batch you will be itching for a big pot :lol:

Cheers!

Go download a copy of BeerSmith or Pro Mash so you can figure out your recipes. It would be best if you start with a brew that has a lower grain bill like an Ordinary Bitter. Small batches are great for experimenting but you will soon want to make larger batches as you get more beer for the same amount of work.

Unless you are exceptionally gifted it is hard to make crappy beer.

You will be able to fairly easily do 10 -12 L batches of any small to medium beers - getting below 10L as the amount of grain you use increases. My BIAB pot is only a 15-16 L one and I am perfectly happy using it for experiments and recipe trials etc etc. Or if I just dont think I will want a full batch.

Enough voil to make bag for your pot will cost you about $1 - and you can chill in the sink still. So the transition to AG for you is a very inexpensive one indeed.

Go for it. Update later at your leisure.

Thirsty

Latest posts

Back