BIAB pot on sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn!!!
I paid $99 for it last weekend...

Either way, it'll be tested out this weekend. I have a nice American Amber Ale to make :D

smartaform said:
Damn!!!
I paid $99 for it last weekend...

Either way, it'll be tested out this weekend. I have a nice American Amber Ale to make :D
Take it back, say it's too small

Then go and buy one from another store!

whats the quality like?

i am looking at a 60LT Primus crab cooker that is thick as.

I read somewhere in here that they were a bit flimsy

cheers

The lids are rubbish but the pot does ok. Kinda tight on volume if you do full volume 23L with 5kg of grain though. 20L batches work fine though.

I eventually upgraded to something bigger because it was just too tight for me. Great starter gear though. Did probably 15 batches in mine.

GuyQLD said:
Kinda tight on volume if you do full volume 23L with 5kg of grain though.
Wow thanks for the insight, I was thinking about getting a 25-8L Pot to do 20L batches, I hadn't considered how much displacement there would be from the grain! If that big boy is 37L and gets tight, what would the "safe" size be assuming I will want to start with ~20 - 23L batches for the next year or so.

bushman ben said:
Wow thanks for the insight, I was thinking about getting a 25-8L Pot to do 20L batches, I hadn't considered how much displacement there would be from the grain! If that big boy is 37L and gets tight, what would the "safe" size be assuming I will want to start with ~20 - 23L batches for the next year or so.
Don't forget about boil off and water lost to absorption in the grain too
I use a 50 litre keggle
for 23 litres in my fermenter (BIAB No chill), i usually start with 33 litres of water, a little more if i'm doing a longer mash and boil

The grain is a reasonable amount, business. Its more the boil off that kills you. 23L batches for full volumes usually mashed in with 32L of water. Add 5Kg of grain and you're full. You could look at topping up the boil or doing the maxi biab thing (or any other hundred variations on biab) but when I was staring out I wanted to keep things simple.

Don't let me dissuade you though. I use mine as a sparge/drain pot for the bag. 4 SS bolts in the insert and it sits nicely on top. After 20 or so I take it outside and empty the rest into the main pot.

originally I just sat the insert on top and let it drain in while bringing to the boil.

Back