Biab - Pot Insulation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find a camping mat with luggage straps, followed by a loose wrap in a blanket combined with the residual heat in the steel of my 4 ring gas burner and I dont lose anything over an hour. Brewing in 14 degree temps outside.

Camping mat $4. Luggage straps $5. Blanket free.

Perfect job every time.

i just got two windshield screens from super cheap! seems to work well
IMAG0200.jpg

I use an old michelin man jacket.

The jacket also doubles as my fishing jacket. :)

gallery_28166_1005_80162.jpg

Spiesy said:
You don't insulate the top?
I throw a blanket over the top when it's cooler, and tuck it into the occy. but them temp barely drops either way

I ended up using some left over insulation. Two layers of 8mm with a single Velcro flap for removal. Insulation tape over the open ends so I can give it a hose down after brewing.
The lid has it's own single layer cap that nestles into the pressed steel nicely. 50 Litres of insulated goodness.

20130701_172528.jpg

The first one I made was pretty damned good at insulating the pot, but I didn't really need it once the pump and heat exchanger started maintaining temps.
The jacket is made of two layers of Aircell with an expanding foam filling. Velcro flaps to secure the two halves. The lid was always covered with a couple of old beach towels.
It was really just a custom made esky without the hard plastic casing.

20130701_174827.jpg

I've got an old doona that I double over and strap around my pot. Then throw an old blanket over the top. Dropped 2 deg in 90 mins. Thinking of making a cover for the doona that I can just Velcro in place.

Love this forum for the low tech solutions. I'm an AG newbie using an old blanket - I lose 2deg C over 90 mins too. Which I thought was ok? Not to hijack, but it begs the question is 2deg C acceptable?

my limited knowledge and memory lead me to believe 2deg over 90 is fine most conversion is done in like the first 20-30minutes, gurus please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

I use Bungee cords and old moving blankets. The blankets are very dense and when they get nasty I can just put them in washing machine. when kettle is full, I lose 1 Degree every 20 min. I havent insulated the top or bottom yet but plan to in the future.
Pics are here:
Http://www.londonbrewers.ca/blog

Adam Breuer said:
i put my pot into an old sleeping bag - lost 1 degree over an hour
That must be a good sleeping bag or it's really hot where you are.

Back