Biab Leffe Blone Rec. Request

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwillyaus

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has successfully cloned a Leffe blonde using biab?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has successfully cloned a Leffe blonde using biab?

I've just done the lefty blond recipe from brewing classic styles. Turned out really nice. Pretty close to Leffe. I can post recipe if u wish when I get back home.
Check out TDA's fly blown Belgian. I've never brewed it but it's pretty much on the money.

I made a thread ages ago wanting to make leffe. I ended up doing a kit because I don't do AG (Yet :D). Starting soon.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...t=0&start=0

is the thread. My kit clone worked really well actually but check out Nick's post. Has a 16L batch on there which sounds good.

I used 3787 and it came out veryy estery, which I like. Heard awesome things about 1214 as well (chimay? if i remember correctly)

I did the Fly Blown recipe once - didn't taste anything like Leffe Blond. 1762 is the wrong yeast.

Use 3787 or 1214, Pils Malt and a touch of caramunich or special B for colour, styrian hops to 20 IBUs (or even EKG).

I agree with Nick. I made TDA's Fly Blown Belgian once. It's a bloody nice beer, but it's not like Leffe Blonde.

Just had another taste of my Lefty Blond and I tell u what, after a bit of age in the bottle, it's VERY close to Leffe Blond. And that's with the 1214 yeast.

Just had another taste of my Lefty Blond and I tell u what, after a bit of age in the bottle, it's VERY close to Leffe Blond. And that's with the 1214 yeast.

1214 is a galactically delicious yeast. It would make a Coopers Lager kit taste like Leffe Blond.

Another thread you are tempting me to use the 1214 in Nick :p, must be pretty good!

Kind of wish I didnt use 3787! I used a muntons blonde kit with some light malt and amber malt together to match the colour pretty closely.

I find the 3787 had a fair bit of banana and hefe-like flavour (not sure how to describe it) to it, which I actually didnt mind, but isn't the same as leffe but close enough for a second brew. Might get experimental and do the same recipe with the 1214

Another thread you are tempting me to use the 1214 in Nick :p, must be pretty good!

I've got this fermenting at 20C ATM.

18L

3.5kg Wey Pils
100g BB Caramalt
100g Special B
30g Caramunich 3
300g Wheat Flour
500g Dextrose
8g Galena 60
8g EKG 15

When I open the fridge door the whole laundry smells like a Belgium Abbey.

Nick JD said:
I've got this fermenting at 20C ATM.

18L

3.5kg Wey Pils
100g BB Caramalt
100g Special B
30g Caramunich 3
300g Wheat Flour
500g Dextrose
8g Galena 60
8g EKG 15

When I open the fridge door the whole laundry smells like a Belgium Abbey.
Dredging this post up from the past...

Nick, what was the result with the 1214 yeast and this recipe? I'm looking into making a Leffe Blonde clone or very similar for my Boss at work... :lol:

If he likes Leffe Blonde, try this - my best Belgian (again - I find the simple recipes work best).

Chimay Blanche (Belgian Tripel)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.079 (°P): 19.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 8.15 %
Colour (SRM): 5.8 (EBC): 11.4
Bitterness (IBU): 25.0 (Average)

89.16% Pilsner
9.64% Cane Sugar
1.2% Candy Syrup Extra Dark (CB)

0.9 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

EDIT: doesn't need to use Nelson - any hop will do, the 1214 overpowers everything with banana and bubblegum.

I've got a blonde that has reached FG, Its at 1007 from 1061, I still haven't added the 350g sugar from the recipe, sample is pretty dry,

wondering should I add the sugar, what will it give it apart from added alc %, ?

By adding sugar now, at fg, the yeast will go though the whole fermenting process again, possibly creating off flavours during the growing phase. I usually add my sugar around day 5 when active ferment begins to drop off and add a little each day until FG. If it tastes good and it's dry and 'thin' enough, I'd leave it.
My 2c.

Jack,
This is my Belgian blond recipe. It come 2nd at SABSOSA last year. I've still got a little tweaking to do but it's almost there. It also uses the 1214 yeast. It's pretty close to Leffe blond.
Don't let anyone tell u any different, THIS is the yeast.

72% Dingmans Pils
9.3% Wey Pale Wheat
4.3% Dingmans Aromatic
14% Cane sugar

Mash @ 66C

Hallertau to 24.5 IBU

Ferment with Wyeast 1214. Start at 18C and raise to 20C over a week.

Cheers
Richard

Orsum! Thanks guys. I'll report back in a month or so. Looking forward to it.

Question - I'm going with triple six's recipe - well close to, and am going to use EKG. Single addition for bittering or another at 15 mins or so for the ibu?

I think, like NickJD said, the yeast esters will overpower a basic hop addition. I'm gonna go with a 60min addition only for my first attempt.

stakka82 said:
Question - I'm going with triple six's recipe - well close to, and am going to use EKG. Single addition for bittering or another at 15 mins or so for the ibu?
Chimay use a bit of EKG late apparently, but I can never taste it when I put it in there. Not a big fan of EKG's weirdness, me. Like nana purfume.

Nick JD said:
I did the Fly Blown recipe once - didn't taste anything like Leffe Blond. 1762 is the wrong yeast.

Use 3787 or 1214, Pils Malt and a touch of caramunich or special B for colour, styrian hops to 20 IBUs (or even EKG).

AaronP said:
I agree with Nick. I made TDA's Fly Blown Belgian once. It's a bloody nice beer, but it's not like Leffe Blonde.
I have brewed the Fly-blown Belgian recipe several times and I'm a fan.
** The important thing is that the yeast makes such a difference to any Belgian-type ale**
You prob didn't produce the right flavours in your beer, as you used the wrong yeast. I have used a few types of yeast and that's where the difference comes in.
I used 2 packages of S-33 yeast and allowed the beer to age a month or so, and I have many opinions that this beer is very much like the Leffe blonde, including the LHBS owner (whose tastebuds are not easily swayed).

FWIW.
Les out

Latest posts

Back