BIAB - Gas or Electric for First Time System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Panda

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been doing extract for about 6 months now and have decided to venture into BIAB. I am looking to be able to do a 50L batch at once.

I am deciding between Gas and Electric heating, and was wondering what you guys recommend?

Specifically I am debating between the following 2 products:

http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/bioler-brew-kettles/product/1592-electric-ss-100ltr-boiler-brew-kettle-single-base-includes-chiller-whirl-pool-kit

and

http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/bioler-brew-kettles/product/1596-stainless-steel-100ltr-boiler-brew-kettle-sandwich-base-includes-boiler-chiller-whirl-pool-kit with a http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/elements-gas-burners/product/955-high-pressure-lpg-propane-burner

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? or with the retailer in question?

I am looking at these over a simpler pot set up as I know I will at some point move to a 3V system and one of these will become the boiler.

Thanks for your help!

I am also going through the same problems... (gas or electric)

This looks pretty good as a setup which can be used in conjunction with upgrades and more vessels etc.

I was thinking of just getting a 40l crown urn for BIAB then upgrade to a larger boil pot/mash tun and use the urn as a HLT

Gibbo411 said:
I am also going through the same problems... (gas or electric)

This looks pretty good as a setup which can be used in conjunction with upgrades and more vessels etc.

I was thinking of just getting a 40l crown urn for BIAB then upgrade to a larger boil pot/mash tun and use the urn as a HLT
Bite the bullet . Go electric at least you won't run out of gas mid boil and buy right , buy once . That way you are not spending and spending more for always upgrading , unless you have a money tree in the back yard .

Are you brewing indoors or out?

Do you have bulk electricity to your brew space?
the 2x 2200W elements will require just over 9 amps each, Generally speaking you wont run more than 10 amps through a power circuit in your house
If not, do you own the place and are you or do you know an electrician.

Lack of power is not a def no, you can still run leads from other part of the house.

i have not used this particular shop.
My 3V started as a BIAB, i run elec HLT and HEX and a Gas powered boiler in a single skin 100l pot, while i have had no issue i would prefer double skin
my burner looks similar to that one, but is twice the output, http://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/gas-burners-heating-elements/products/high-pressure-lpg-propane-burner-stand-and-regulator

I do prefer gas for my boiler, but you will need a well ventilated area

Can't comment on the products selected, but the service offered by the stated retailer has always been excellent from my experience.

No affiliations

I'm currently brewing single batch BIAB on a 40L crown urn, however I've been eyeing off the 100L boiler kits at cheeky peak (http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/bioler-brew-kettles/product/1592-electric-ss-100ltr-boiler-brew-kettle-single-base-includes-chiller-whirl-pool-kit)

Would be interested to hear feedback from anyone who owns one.

Can't wait til I have the $$$ to update to bigger batches!

PS Another endorsement for Cheeky Peak, I used them to order the guts of my kegging setup for my Keezer. Much better value than I could find up here in Brisbane.

Converted to electric from gas, wish I'd done it sooner.

I don't have a garage to brew in and so the kettle was always outside meaning more hassle.

Now have the boiler on a stainless bench on wheels, roll it outside from the laundry when the fog gets too thick! Luv it!.

Have a 3600w and 2400w (had a 15amp in the laundry as well as 10mp)

Again, it's not a one-size-fits-all.

• If you can plug into a gas main, that eliminates much cost and inconvenience from gas
  • Electric is easier to control with automation
  • Gas can get you bigger boils easier without upgrading your infrastructure (electric is limited to whatever your circuit is capable of, often ~2400W before things get complex)
  • Gas requires very good ventilation - often people do it outside

I'm considering converting to gas for my kettle, but keep my HLT and mash heater electric. I just don't have the circuit breakers in my apartment to get a big enough boil going. Then I can plug into my natural gas main and not worry about gas bottles.

Klangers makes some good points.

For me, I use Gas + Electric - at the same time.
2400W element, spiral burner and a MP Reg for my gas bottle. Gets 8 double batch brews per gas bottle (strike water heated with electric, then both up to boil post mash, then gas to simmer it along for the 60 mins).

If gas runs out for whatever reason, I can float a pie tin on the top of the wort and put the lid half over the pot, the 2400w will keep a boil going this way. Not happened yet though!

Cheers,
D80

Back