Biab - Chilling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataphage

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I've decided to make the switch to BIAB with an urn after about 2 yrs of extract brewing (& about 17 K & K before that).

I have very limited space in my apartment and no outside tap on what is quite a big balcony.

The big problem I can see moving to this is how the heck am I going to chill the wort? I guess an immersion coil is the way to go but I have no outside tap. Do I just try and find one of those rubber attachments that fits over a tap or do I need to buy a cube and let it cool over night?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Get yourself a 20 litre "cube" from Mitre 10 (not Bunning's, their 20 lt plastic jerry cans consistently leak). Straight from the kettle into the cube, squeeze out the remaining air, seal it up, lay it on its side overnight on your balcony, bang! your done.

Next day, pour the contents into your fermenter, which has the added side effect of aerating your wort, pitch, and relax.

Do a bit of a search for "No Chill" for more info.

Cheers

BIAB eh? Welcome to the darning side...

Yup, cubes are the way to go - even if they're not cubed.

You can carry liquid in them, store or transport liquid, cool liquid and pour liquid out.

You can stack the cubed cubes (don't stack ones with hot liquid). You could bung in an airlock and ferment in the cube... You could squeeze a cube into your fridge...

They go a bit soft when you transfer the boiled wort, and suck in quite a bit overnight - but I've had no trouble yet...

Yup, like cubes (got 6 of them)

-edited to add- you can keep the wort for a while, while you fanny about with other stuff... ferment at your leisure.

Latest posts

Back