Biab Brewer Register

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Name......... Brews........... are you still BIABing?........Volume

Pistol Patch............. 55..............Yes............................1381lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 42..............Yes.......................... 1067lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 52 ............Yes!.......................... 926lt Mixed methods.
Hashie......................43.............Yes.............. ............ 1,245lt No chill
MaxT........................5...............No............................. 11lt
PJ............................1............... Will be........................ 23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......21..............Yes........................... 475L No Chill
Thirstyboy............... 14..............Yes......................... app 170L Mixed methods
Wardhog..................1.................?............................... 23lt
Phonos....................4.................Yes............................ 88lt Partial
Beer Man.................15...............Yes.......................... 375lt no chill, no problems
DK..........................10...............Yes.........................app 20lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2.................No............................. 46lt
Blackbock................6.................No............................ 180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7.................No............................ 16lt No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6.................Yes.......................... 175lt No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6..................No...........................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy.....................21................yes............................ 566litres no chillin!
Murcluf....................1.................Will be........................ 11lt
Patobeermonster......9.................yes............................ 165lt
Harry_Rmbler..........9..................yes............................ 287lt
MVZOOM.................5..................yep............................ 120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................8...................yes............................ 185N.C. for me
joecast....................8..................yup............................. 154lt
black forest man......2..................yes............................. 40lt
Rod.........................2.................yes............................. ??????
Malty Cultural..........8..................yes............................ 150lt
W_W_W_Hahn.........2..................Yes............................ 23lt Electric
kevnlis....................6..................yes...................... 140L No Chill
hairofthedog..........10...................yes..............................200
SDJ........................1..................."kin oath".......................480lt BIAB no chill biggrin.gif
amita.............. .......1...................yes..............................23lt
wally.......................1...................yes.............................
sathid....................2....................yes............................ 41L
65bellett.................3....................yes..........................37.5
Katie&Lloyd............12...................yes...........................338L chilled
tomtoro..................2..................yes......................100L.......
chilled with immersion chiller
mikelinz ................4................... YES .....................168l ..........no chill
captaincleanoff.......3....................yes.............................60l chilled
massatomic............3...................yes.............................57L
tredog...................1...................Yes...................5L..........C
hilled
wambesi................6....................Yes....................110.....no chill
Moray....................2..................Yes....................84L....Chille
d/ 1/2 no chill
Durgarth...............9..................yes....................198l.....No chill
hop_alot...............2.................yes.....................35L........no chill
Reg......................3.................yes.....................69L.......No chill
Hanzie..................3.................yes.....................90L........Ele
ctric no chill
K&k......................1.................yes.....................23lt and no-chill
Stowaway.............1.................yes......................25Lt.....Ice Bath Chilled.
Reviled.................10..................definately..............200Lt......N
o-chill
Gilbrew.................2....................yes.....................46lt.
Cocko...................8...................Yep......................231L No chill
Beer Belly..............1...................yes......................23Lt Cold Water Bath
drtomc..................1...................yes......................23L No chill
feelncede...............4...................yes......................102L total 2 water bath 2 no Chill
Chad_UWA.............2...................yes..........................46L
Hanzie...................4..................yes....................130L electric no chill.
Damian44..............2...................yes.....................56....no-chill
Sumo.....................1..................Yes......................23.....no-c
Stuffa...................1..................Yep.......................22L ...Ice bath
Malbur...................2..................Yes.......................46L electric 1 chill 1 no-chill
bennyc..................2..................Yes.......................10L........

Did a couple of simultaneous 5L BIABs in mid-November on my stove inside - a couple of wheat beers (my first wheat beers, therefore experiments) with slightly different grain bills. Had trouble working out the thermal mass of my 8L S/S pots and missed the target temp by a good 5-8C and had to add cold water (this may yet take a bit of fine tuning), but otherwise, the process went as smooth as silk. Brewing BIAB indoors on a small scale made things very easy, especially when it came to cleaning up!

Drank the resulting beers last weekend and was very happy with them. Will definitely be using BIAB again, but probably more for experimental batches that I can do quickly and conveniently indoors.

Ben

That would make this thread obselete wouldnt it?

I have being updating the wiki page though!

I've put myself down but i'm still a week or 2 off my first BIAB day, the rellies finally flew back to Europe last night and i have both primary's full.
I need to get a bag, recipe and grain order sorted out fast...

I would recommend Ross NS Summer Ale, basic grain bill and then you can play around with hops.

What are you doing about the bag?

That would make this thread obselete wouldnt it?

I have being updating the wiki page though!

Sort of but not completely :blink:
We can still use this thread to discuss what brews we have put on or any other BIAB particular info just like a lot of us used to place under the updated lists in this thread.

Maybe a suggestion of changing the name of this thread then...

Maybe, but it's still a register of sorts I guess.
Just brewed another 21L of APA goodness!

At least this brew day ran perfectly unlike the last...

... you with your nice new dedicated brewery ...
It does need work before it is maximally nice... I have to replace the carpet in the wet area with vinyl - the B-place has stuff for about $10 lineal metre, which looks cheap enough.

Hope your windmill falls over and crushes your brewery
The windmill is not that tall! It might take out part of my workshop if it fell over. Are you referring to the wind turbine? :p

I am glad I had gas bayonets fitted both inside and out. Today's Rye IPA will be brewed under the brewery verandah.

Sort of but not completely :blink:
We can still use this thread to discuss what brews we have put on or any other BIAB particular info just like a lot of us used to place under the updated lists in this thread.

I think this thread (or one like it) is a good place for practitioners of the method to chat about what they're doing and how, rather than create a new thread each time a new brew occurs or a slight change to technique or kit is found.

We just need the forum admins to create a 'BIAB Flag' for each user so that we can restrict the multi-vesselers from posting here... :rolleyes:

Edit: Schpellin'

Hey fellow BIABERS. Im thinking of adjusting my mill down to .80mm from .90mm. What do you have your mill set at?

Whirlpooling is working a treat for me. I give a good stir after the boil, wait 20 min and all the crappy stuff is sitting in the centre of the pot.

First brew for 2009 broke the 1000litre barrier.

A Rye IPA that I made a mistake with and doubled the amount of rye to 24% - good thing it is a BIAB and not a multi-vessel thing as the lautering would have been troublesome. We shall see what it all becomes...

Damian44 - I reckon that the smaller gap the better with BIAB. The traditional reason for crushing not so finely was that many brewers don't like cloudy worts so use the grain bed to filter out all the flour. If it was too fine, either their sparge would stick or they would get gloop in their kettle.

I sometimes run my grain through the mill twice to get it finer.

Sometimes I blow into the straw of my McShake until well after my mum tells me to stop...

Maybe get the mods to change this current thread to " General BIAB discussion thread" . The sticky Biab thread is a how-to tutorial thread and shouldn't really be clogged up with general chat stuff and the register itself has been moved to an article format so I think there's still the need for a thread for general swapping of ideas and experiences so maybe this here thread could take on that role, as it is in fact doing at the moment.

I have just pitched the yeast on my 2nd 23 litre batch of biab hell of an idea.

I should update the wiki..........

2batches 43L total.

One partial BIAB on the weekend (first one). Was a lot easier than I thought. When my new pot arrives next week it'll be full BIABs. Hooray! AG at last.

Q. You chaps no-chilling - how are you racking to the cube? Ball valve? Siphon? What's your cold break like?

ta

One partial BIAB on the weekend (first one). Was a lot easier than I thought. When my new pot arrives next week it'll be full BIABs. Hooray! AG at last.

Q. You chaps no-chilling - how are you racking to the cube? Ball valve? Siphon? What's your cold break like?

ta

I can only speak for myself, but I whirlpool after using Whirfloc, and generally get good clear results. I get some cold break, but figure that most of it will settle out during fermentation, and I always crash chill the fermenter before racking to secondary and at the end of the secondary before kegging. 2 BIAB batches done with no chill, and very happy with the results - Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, so clarity is perhaps not noticible in that brew.

Cheers,

Crundle

Name..............................................................Brews.........
.. are you still BIABing?........Volume
Willam's Notty Blonde Strong Ambition 1 yes 5 gallons

Name......... Brews........... are you still BIABing?........Volume

Pistol Patch............. 55..............Yes............................1381lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 42..............Yes.......................... 1067lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 52 ............Yes!.......................... 926lt Mixed methods.
Hashie......................43.............Yes.............. ............ 1,245lt No chill
MaxT........................5...............No............................. 11lt
PJ............................1............... Will be........................ 23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......21..............Yes........................... 475L No Chill
Thirstyboy............... 14..............Yes......................... app 170L Mixed methods
Wardhog..................1.................?............................... 23lt
Phonos....................4.................Yes............................ 88lt Partial
Beer Man.................15...............Yes.......................... 375lt no chill, no problems
DK..........................10...............Yes.........................app 20lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2.................No............................. 46lt
Blackbock................6.................No............................ 180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7.................No............................ 16lt No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6.................Yes.......................... 175lt No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6..................No...........................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy.....................21................yes............................ 566litres no chillin!
Murcluf....................1.................Will be........................ 11lt
Patobeermonster......9.................yes............................ 165lt
Harry_Rmbler..........9..................yes............................ 287lt
MVZOOM.................5..................yep............................ 120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................10...................yes............................ 220N.C. for me
joecast....................8..................yup............................. 154lt
black forest man......2..................yes............................. 40lt
Rod.........................2.................yes............................. ??????
Malty Cultural..........8..................yes............................ 150lt
W_W_W_Hahn.........2..................Yes............................ 23lt Electric
kevnlis....................6..................yes...................... 140L No Chill
hairofthedog..........10...................yes..............................200
SDJ........................1..................."kin oath".......................480lt BIAB no chill biggrin.gif
amita.............. .......1...................yes..............................23lt
wally.......................1...................yes.............................
sathid....................2....................yes............................ 41L
65bellett.................3....................yes..........................37.5
Katie&Lloyd............12...................yes...........................338L chilled
tomtoro..................2..................yes......................100L.......
chilled with immersion chiller
mikelinz ................4................... YES .....................168l ..........no chill
captaincleanoff.......3....................yes.............................60l chilled
massatomic............3...................yes.............................57L
tredog...................1...................Yes...................5L..........C
hilled
wambesi................6....................Yes....................110.....no chill
Moray....................2..................Yes....................84L....Chille
d/ 1/2 no chill
Durgarth...............9..................yes....................198l.....No chill
hop_alot...............2.................yes.....................35L........no chill
Reg......................3.................yes.....................69L.......No chill
Hanzie..................3.................yes.....................90L........Ele
ctric no chill
K&k......................1.................yes.....................23lt and no-chill
Stowaway.............1.................yes......................25Lt.....Ice Bath Chilled.
Reviled.................10..................definately..............200Lt......N
o-chill
Gilbrew.................2....................yes.....................46lt.
Cocko...................8...................Yep......................231L No chill
Beer Belly..............1...................yes......................23Lt Cold Water Bath
drtomc..................1...................yes......................23L No chill
feelncede...............4...................yes......................102L total 2 water bath 2 no Chill
Chad_UWA.............2...................yes..........................46L
Hanzie...................4..................yes....................130L electric no chill.
Damian44..............2...................yes.....................56....no-chill
Sumo.....................1..................Yes......................23.....no-c
Stuffa...................1..................Yep.......................22L ...Ice bath
Malbur...................2..................Yes.......................46L electric 1 chill 1 no-chill
bennyc..................2..................Yes.......................10L........
Dadymem..............1.................yes.........................5 gal.....

Just adding a couple of brews. My 9th brew got infected with bad yeast :angry: , but managed to do one on Saturday APA with about 100gm Cascade flowers. going into fermenter tonight :D

Just updated the wiki....

Brewed Rooks Alt bier on Saturday, late start but enjoyed brewing this beer very much. No hassle except to at the end with the pick up tude probably lost a litre. The smell was incredible... Have not used the hop Spalt before so looking forward to it.

Hey Rev... all of a sudden you have over taken us on the litres... you have being busy.

Cheers

Katie

Back