Biab Bling Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a misunderstood man
many people, were his fans
but now he's gone
i did 3 brews, and my bag was torn
please come back
pistol patch, don't fall victim to their wise cracks!

Thirsty Boy,

You seem to have over-looked the point. It is obvious that all BIAB brewers (including Pat) are re-inventing the wheel with a square :) .

A single hole in the side of their pots would easily allow attachment of a small ring of copper or an "easy hooker" and allow for effective sparging with minimal unconverted starch into the boil. Then they could throw the bag away :eek:

Same setup could be used for the boil :eek:

I have always been derided as the eternal pessimist, but you my should be derided at the eternal optimist my friend. :party:

cheers

Darren

There's an old saying in my neck of the woods " When the flag drops the BS stops" Perhaps those who like to shoot off at the lip, would be game enough to step up to the challenge of entering your finest into ANAWBS 2007. So you can show us how good you really are, unless you are threaten by the chance of being caned by a fermentation assistant or a BIAB'er. Also keep an eye out for the MIAB.

Humble pie will be served by the door marked exit, I'm having cold comfort on mine. Long Live PP!!!

OK guys, BIAB is due for some bling.

B) A Sliding Skyhook: It'd be great to be able to either lift the bag/basket and then once drained, slide it away from the kettle to be dumped in a bucket or whatever.

Apologies for the editing but instead of a skyhook why not try one of these?
BIAB_bling.jpg
Attached to the right sized chunk of concrete in your back yard and a suitably sized pot this would almost do a "Bulka Bag" of half a ton of Kirin Pale.

Or if it needs to be portable then go for one of these,
BIAB_bling_2.jpg
With the doovalacky on the left you could simultaneously lift two bags at once with fingertip balance control, imagine that tandem BIAB two Bulka Bags at once.

Thats what I call "Bling" :p

Thirsty Boy,

You seem to have over-looked the point. It is obvious that all BIAB brewers (including Pat) are re-inventing the wheel with a square :) .

A single hole in the side of their pots would easily allow attachment of a small ring of copper or an "easy hooker" and allow for effective sparging with minimal unconverted starch into the boil. Then they could throw the bag away :eek:

Same setup could be used for the boil :eek:

I have always been derided as the eternal pessimist, but you my should be derided at the eternal optimist my friend. :party:

cheers

Darren

Sorry Darren, I'm not sure what you mean.. are you referring to the point you made in the main BIAB thread about trying to boil the mash grains and all? Or is it something else..

I think I know what you mean... but I'm not sure. If it is what I reckon, I think its actualy a pretty good idea.

Could you explain in a buit more detail. And maybe in the main BIAB thread.. this thread is a trainwreck and needs to be abandoned.

Cheers

Thirsty

PS: I for one usually appreciate your pessimism. It gives me the shits... but then I find myself thinking harder and more deeply about the things we are discussing; and I go out and hunt down information I might other wise have not worried about. I often disagree with you, but because of you I know more about brewing than otherwise I would. TB

PS: I for one usually appreciate your pessimism. It gives me the shits... but then I find myself thinking harder and more deeply about the things we are discussing; and I go out and hunt down information I might other wise have not worried about. I often disagree with you, but because of you I know more about brewing than otherwise I would. TB

+1 :super:

Considering this thread has been hijacked a few too many times, please forgive this indulgence. I consider it necessary viewing for all those Johnny's who have been posting here...

Posting and you ... <_<

that's been posted on here before ArnieW, didn't you watch the video :)

Humble pie will be served by the door marked exit, I'm having cold comfort on mine. Long Live PP!!!
And here was me thinking this was a brewing technique. Turns out it is some kind of cult.

Making BIAB out to be flawless, so much easier & so much better than traditional methods does come across as irrational and fanatical, and does put people off and do the method a disservice. It has it's strength (up front cost), bit is shouldn't be promoted as flawless and all things to all people.

Just don't try and jam your favourite method down our throats. Sideways. With a mallet. ;)

Since my, 'last post,' it is only last night and tonight that I have had a chance to answer PM's and emails. No one seriously thought that my last post in the BIAB thread was actually my last post and it looks as though they were right! What a serious affront to my credibility!

Seriously though, have a think on the following because this is my last post. After this, what more is there to say?

In the PM's and emails I have finally had a chance to send, the one theme was that my only regret about retiring from AHB was not responding to Zizzle's disgraceful comments above. So here's my last post which is slightly less full of grace than what I will always think of as my real last post which can be found somewhere in the BIAB thread.

Zizzle - Your post is an absolute disgrace. You brewed 6 BIABs electrically and I thought that the one I tasted was excellent. You complained in the BIAB thread about soapy flavours in your beer and long-term viability which I and others have not found or have actually proven the opposite. Several times, you have brought up the former when advantageous and each time, I have, and others have offered advice or asked questions to which you never responded.

This fact alone proves that open minds are existent but yours isn't one of them.

Now, you run a thread on automation - the anithesis of BIAB and TOTALLY unproven. Is it that that motivates your post that I have quoted or is your post fall-out from the night that you got horribly drunk and whined about Iraq and thought subsequently and irrationally that anyone who diagreed with you hated you?

I think a read through the BIAB thread will not answer that question but it will answer EVERY other slur that rednecks have made here.

You say, 'irrational and fanatical,' about one of the most rational and calm threads on AHB. It's a thread full of 'gentle' and/or enthusiastic brewing explorers. I have been the biggest contributor there in post counts I think, so if I withdraw, as I am doing, will you call all those other top brewers fanatical and irrational?

These are the same brewers who have consistently in that thread asked and welcomed criticism. I myself have gone out of my way to do side by side brews not with the aim of proving BIAB right or wrong but with an investigative viewpoint. Just ask the guys I've side-by-side brewed with.

Did you mention that Zizzle?

And the fact that I am still willing to do so?

Oh! And how could I forget that old PistolPatch wrote, 'A Guide to Mashing and Batch'-Sparging,' about 6 months after I had dis-continued traditional brewing? That guide was written in my usual passionate style. But you and the other negative contributors here forgot that contribution didn't you? That one should be air-locked as many of the questions I answer off-forum end up referring to that guide and it might balance up the fact that, until recently, the BIAB Guide was the only air-locked thread in that forum.

So, which one of you mash tun guys will ask for my other guide to be air-locked? It should be shouldn't it? Certainly nothing wrong with the way it is written...

But, would PP help a traditional brewer? And be passionate about doing so? Not according to you Zizzle and your redneck cohorts though I do it almost daily.

Can you or anyone else find a post that ever said that BIAB was 'flawless and so much better than traditional brewing?'

Such posts simply don't exist.

The BIAB thread has involved the most unpretentious group of brewers that you will ever meet - both traditional and now non-traditional. They are a quiet bunch of blokes who don't blow their own trumpet. They are just simple explorers that really have no attachment apart from brewing a nice beer.

I see myself as one of them but you rednecks do not - hence I retire. I doubt that you will knock, face on, any other BIAB brewer - after all, they are all just nice solid brewers.

Zizzle, for you and others to make references to fanaticism and cults is the most shameful thing I have EVER seen on AHB.

Anyone that makes statements like that on AHB (such as Aaron's above) should be totally discredited. People should stand up against guys like you but, who can in this case, unless they have read the whole BIAB thread? This is one of the reasons why there are summaries in the BIAB thread. Find another thread on this forum that has been as well laid out. There isn't one. That's the only fanatical side of BIAB you will ever see and that is due to me not BIAB or it's brewers.

While that is certainly not all I have to say, this IS my last post on AHB but I look forward to communicating with the great thinkers on this forum via email and I'll do my best to still contribute here via less public means such as the Wiki in all areas of brewing whether that be cleaning, BIAB or traditonal.

Spot ya to the good guys,
Pat

P.S. If you like my rambles, email me and I'll send you one now and then.
P.P.S. One last thought, No-Chill and anything similiar puts AHB up there as a world-first forum. When rednecks criticise without any basis of fact a new idea, they are not only hurting the brewing community, they are hurting Dane who started this forum. So, next time you want to say something non-factual, perhaps you should think about who it affects or at least donate some money - grrrrrrr.

Quite speechless. You guys are sinking lower and lower, why would you bother? What's next, you going to get a posse together and enact a 'bashing'?

Quite speechless. You guys are sinking lower and lower, why would you bother? What's next, you going to get a posse together and enact a 'bashing'?

wot are you on about :huh:

both sides throwing even insults from where im sitting :ph34r:

Mind you im on the sideline with my popcorn and large coke as a spectator. :party:

I don't like your chances of Pat replying Darren.

If I can give my 2 bobs worth...

BIAB isn't all about the bag, for me it is simply 'single vessel brewing'. Mash tun, HLT and kettle all in one. To achieve this you need a 'bag' or some other device to remove the grain.

Let's look at it real simple like, for some of the folk who are so hung up on running it down.

You heat your water (same as 3 vessel), you mash your grain (same as 3 vessel), you boil your wort (same as 3 vessel). But you do all this in ONE vessel by removing the grain via a bag. Get over it.

Simple really.

I don't bag brew but I love to read a good rant on this site at work (there have been some classics). :p

IMO The best idea for bling would be a big medal or trophy that is testament to the concept being a good one for the brewer and judged a winner or even in the running (no pun intended) for the style.

So pick a style that suits the method, enter some comp's and win some cred with a bag brew and that should water down some of the critics. :beerbang:
Winners are :D .

This certainly seems to have riled people up. Be careful or this might happen to you (or you might do this :blink: )

Man Burns Down Trailer in Online Feud

By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer

ELM MOTT, Texas (AP) -- A Navy man who got mad when someone mocked him as a "nerd" over the Internet climbed into his car and drove 1,300 miles from Virginia to Texas to teach the other guy a lesson.

As he made his way toward Texas, Fire Controlman 2nd Class Petty Officer Russell Tavares posted photos online showing the welcome signs at several states' borders, as if to prove to his Internet friends that he meant business.

When he finally arrived, Tavares burned the guy's trailer down.

Pat, you know that many of us like your posts. "Really, [PP], if you are holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a long time." No need to get riled up about it. It'd be great if you keep posting.

BIAB haters. Nothing to see here, move along now. If you don't like the thread, have a look at one you do. If there are no threads you like, it might be time to start one yourself. :p

BIAB lovers, I think Lukes has a really good point. Enter some comps and prove it to the world. (Of course it won't really work like that. No chill beers doing well in comps proves that. Oh well. Still fun though. ;) )

Mind you im on the sideline with my popcorn and large coke as a spectator. :party:

Lol, same :)
It's quite funny. Funny that people get so worked up in forums. You see it in every forum all across "teh interwebs". Some people bag out other people. Bagged out people eventually spit it and vow never to return. Life goes on.

This forum sits at the extremely loose end of moderation. Other forums I frequent sit at the very tight end of moderation. Maybe this site needs to be moderated a little bit tighter just so that off-topic posts (like this one, d'oh) don't end up in a big flame fest. Although if that happened Fent's and I would need to take our popcoirn somewhere else :D)

Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back