Biab Bags- Pictures Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prawned

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask if people that do BIAB could post pictures of their Bag, I want to see the different ways people have sewn the material up etc. Need the pictures so i can show SWMBO's mum what i want done :)

Hey. There are a few pics of the 4 bags I sewed in the Beginner AG Forum under the topic - My First AG Adventure.
They are basically a fine mesh curtain material, cut into long rectangles, folded long ways, then sewed along the long edge and one end.
The top is folded back on itself to create a hole through which to pass some strong string.
They size about 60cm deep, and 25cm diameter. Each one holds about 2.5 to 3 kgs of grain and we use all 4 for a 50L brew.

This seemed usefull to start but sparging is difficult, as is squeezing the bags to strain all the liquid out. Definately requires 2 people. Also a pain to clean. Whinge, whinge, whinge...

Bought a metal mesh wastepaper bin this week to sit in the tun for the mash rather than the bags.

Marlow

Good question prawned! The BIAB thread has become a bit big to easily find some good basic info such as you have asked.

Here is a link to a post with pics that I wrote a while ago but I am still using the same bag. (I think it also has the dimensions I used for a 70lt - 45cm high x 45cm diameter pot.)

This is a very good design. Basically allow the base diameter to be 10cm narrower than the pot diameter and the top diameter to be 10cm more. As for height, add 10 cm.

The material costs around $8-$15 for everything. I say that as I always over-order and the reel of cotton alone probably costs a few bucks. I get mine sewn up by the local dry-cleaners for $26 as they do a superb job and to sew up this Rolls Royce model is not as easy as it looks.

I have stuff to pass on as to some other bag bonuses but I'll get someone else to whack those up in the main BIAB thread.

Spot!
Pat

I've got a pic or two of my small baggie on my blog which might help. I find it tedious trying to photograph things that are all white, so I am not going to bother any more.

The best way to describe what mine look like without pics I think is a sleeping bag stuff sack. Only try that if you are a l33t sewer dude, though. Otherwise, a pillow case construction would work. I think the drawstring is very useful because I use a skyhook to lift the bag out of the kettle.

The baggie should be big enough that you can put your kettle inside the bag and close the top up completely.

I'm not sure, but I think marlow_coates is describing a process other than BIAB. With BIAB, you use just one kettle and one bag - no mash tun and sparging only if you're a tinkerer like me.

This thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=11694 has a document embedded which I think also shows a baggie.

Hey, probably got a little carried away with mine.

We use one pot for mash, then lift bags out and squeeze, then top up water by pouring kettle water directly through bag (sparge). With the grain lifted out we then crank the heat back up for the boil in the same pot.

It is essentially BIAB but we use 4 smaller bags.

Good luck with the construction

Marlow

I cut a big circle of the voile, and just peg it to the rim of the kettle :D
It works well enough.

here is my solution for taking the strain out of the bag( and my back!)
the 2 SS inserts for the kettle hold the bag, which is ala pistol patch and the elastic over the rim holds it in situe.

I can lift, drain and sparge( above the kettle) single and double batches no worries,

the other one is from the pump set up I use to transfer to the fermenter without lifting,
will see if I can make a few piccies of the bag for you,

good luck,

cheers amita

biab_rig_002.JPG

BIAB_002.JPG

I have just had mine done by an old family friend.
She just cut a big circle in the swiss voile and then hemmed it with a drawstring round the outside.

Yet to use it but will be very shortly.

She also supplied me with some elastic just in case..

Just got some Swiss Voile from spotlight and the stuff seems to be very fine in the weave. Is this the right stuff or are there different types and I have the wrong one?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back