Biab Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Wilson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well the keggle is nearly finished (will post pics in another post soon) and I'm looking to buy the last few bits and pieces so I can put down a brew soon.

I'm headed down the BIAB path (at least for now, maybe forever :) ).

Not having a sewing machine let alone knowing how to sew one of these bad boys together I'm going to need to source one from somewhere.

I'm more than happy to support to sponsors but there seems to be a massive price difference between the Gryphon one and the G&G one. So any advice from BIAB'ers would be appreciated.

If there are any keen seamstresses out there who can offer some assistance I'd be eternally indebted.

Cheers

craftbrewer have several to chose from.
Ive got one sitting at the PO waiting to be picked up and have yummy beer made with it.
If you had waited 3 days I could have told you if it was any good...after I put down my first Ag BIAB.
any how.good brewin'

I never knew G&G had them, but for the price that looks pretty good!

QldKev

craftbrewer have several to chose from.
Ive got one sitting at the PO waiting to be picked up and have yummy beer made with it.
If you had waited 3 days I could have told you if it was any good...after I put down my first Ag BIAB.
any how.good brewin'

Which bag did you go for? And what size pot are you using?

I'll be brewing in a 50L keggle so not sure craftbrewers have anything suitable.

The G&G bag is cheap and will work - thats about it. IMO its not good, but if cheap and instant is what you are after, then its a viable option.

I personally am not a massive fan of the exact design of the Gryphon BIAB bag - but then again I'd have it before the G&G bag any old day. It is purpose designed for BIAB and is made out of the "right" material.

The craftbrewer bags that are revealed by punching the term "bag" into the craftbrewer main page search... I feel much the same way about as the G&G bag. If you must have it pre-made and you must have it at that sort of price point, then sure, they'll do. But they aren't what I'd recommend to anyone.

I think a few other rertailers, if not sponsors, sell much the same things too.

But i wouldn't use any of them except the Gryphon bag unless i had to. You know nobody with a sewing machine who could be shown a sleeping bag sack and be asked to make a bigger stronger version of that?

I was lucky enough to be born an only child so my dear mum was responding yes before i had even outlined what i needed doing, but if your desperate and dont know anyone with a machine you could try buying the material and heading to a local alterations shop and telling them what you want made up.
It'll Cost you but it'll be done right and if not you can always return it. I realise for most people this would be a last resort but it's cheaper than buying a machine you'll end up with a bag made in the best possible shape.

tb this brew in a bag stuff is write up there with big (little minded)kevs ability
can you imagine owning a commericial bag brewery
name it kevs big bag let it swing

Speedie,

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do us all a favour a shut the hell up about a topic till you have a clue.

tb this brew in a bag stuff is write up there with big (little minded)kevs ability
can you imagine owning a commericial bag brewery
speedie, it is a valid and proven method. This is exactly why you shit people - you act the expert but are completely ignorant of anything but whatever it was you did when you were taught to brew. You are uninterested in learning and you are uninterested in doing something outside of your experience. You're shallow and stupid and demand credit for...I'm not sure what.

I'm sure all your places at the Perth Royal Show are some sort of validation, of course.

It is also worth pointing out (which I wouldn't need to if you'd read any posts but your own) that TB is pretty well known for regularly giving excellent BIAB advice. Just shut up, you ignorant tool.

my bag is a piece of voile that i've cut into a 1.5m circle. The edges are a bit frayed but it works really well. Just get a 1.5m long piece (they are already 1.5m wide) and then fold in half. Trace out a semicircle with a pencil and cut out.

I use a pice of elastic to hold it in place. One day i wil sew it into the hem but until then this setup will do.

speedie, it is a valid and proven method. This is exactly why you shit people - you act the expert but are completely ignorant of anything but whatever it was you did when you were taught to brew. You are uninterested in learning and you are uninterested in doing something outside of your experience. You're shallow and stupid and demand credit for...I'm not sure what.

I'm sure all your places at the Perth Royal Show are some sort of validation, of course.

It is also worth pointing out (which I wouldn't need to if you'd read any posts but your own) that TB is pretty well known for regularly giving excellent BIAB advice. Just shut up, you ignorant tool.

Oh SNAP! +1

my bag is a piece of voile that i've cut into a 1.5m circle. The edges are a bit frayed but it works really well. Just get a 1.5m long piece (they are already 1.5m wide) and then fold in half. Trace out a semicircle with a pencil and cut out.

I use a pice of elastic to hold it in place. One day i wil sew it into the hem but until then this setup will do.

Sounds just like what I'm planning. Big ol' circle of voile and hem the shit out of it :)
Might try and weave a cord into the hem while I'm at it but I'm sure it will work fine without it as I'm only planning partials.

I have a couple of Craftbrewer bags that I peg round the top of the urn and use as a hop "swimming pool" when using flowers. However they are not voile, they are very elastic and really no use for a full size BIAB brew. A circle of voile and a cord with a hangmans noose works ok: personally I use the Gryphon Bags and they are great.

Here's a Craftbrewer bag with only a kilo of grain in it, just about stretched to the limit - wouldn't want to put more than two kilos in.

hangMedium.jpg

However they are really good as a hop sock or to do a partial (which the above shot was of)

Sounds just like what I'm planning. Big ol' circle of voile and hem the shit out of it :)
Might try and weave a cord into the hem while I'm at it but I'm sure it will work fine without it as I'm only planning partials.

Will Definitely work assuming your mashing in a pot. Just watch out if like me you are mashing in a converted keg as the hole in my keg was not as wide as the bag and i had great difficulty getting 5kg of 70 degree grain out of the hole and resulted in wort overflow down the keg, warping on my bag where up to 10 of the horizontal threads are now together and leaving the bag generally wrinkle and warped.

Still made beer and like nearly every-batch i learned something new.

If you're going to hem it you may as well put a big piece of elastic in there as well. I wish i knew how to sew because this is what i would be doing. My big ol circle works but the edges are fraying a little bit. I reckon the circle bag is the go because it means that there aren't weak points at the seams, plus its easy to make.

to the OP- If i was going to spend the money and buy a bag it would be the gryphon one, they are made really well. I've seen some pretty old ones, and whilst they are pretty brown they are still holding together very well! However if you spend $10 on voille and can get someone to sew a seam around the edge, then you've saved enough money to nearly buy a bag of grain! :)

I've discovered that with my Gryphon bag, after emptying and rinsing a couple of times, if I stuff it into a beer jug full of really strong hot napisan and leave it overnight, it comes up as white as Sarah Palin's hiney - in fact even after around 60 brews I still have difficulty picking it from the newer one that's only done about 15.

I've never had a proper bag. I Brew In A Swag.

BIAS

Only I can be responsible for the accolades that come frothing in from my brilliance.

;)

If some guy called Pistol Pat comes and says he invented it first, he's right - I just don't care.

BIAS is better than BIAB.

BIAS rulez, man.

For a sewn bag I am using a Gryphon.

For a non-sewn I have always used a square of voile. Gathered at the edges it quickly goes around the hook on the pulley hoist. Tie it off with twine if you want. No seams or weak points. Push the centre into a bucket or cardboad box for rapid load or into urn if worried about leaving behind some flour dust. Hangs up like a small sheet on the line for some sun sanitisation action after a wash. You can run six or more in rotation for the cost of a bag.

When my Gryphon is shot I'll most likely go back to the sheet.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I've never had a proper bag. I Brew In A Swag.

BIAS

Only I can be responsible for the accolades that come frothing in from my brilliance.

;)

If some guy called Pistol Pat comes and says he invented it first, he's right - I just don't care.

BIAS is better than BIAB.

BIAS rulez, man.
Prior art

I'll take half of all ongoing royalties, thanks.

Latest posts

Back