Electric Keggle for BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedy

Reaction score
Have been keen to make the jump to AG for some time, and have settled on BIAB as a more cost effective way to get started.

Had originally considered a 40l crown urn, however after further reading I am leaning toward an electric keggle.

The idea being that I would have the option to do double batches once I become more comfortable with the process, and maybe even move to a 3V system down the track.

I'm looking at the 1V electric keggle from Keg King. $249 gets me a 58l keggle with the holes pre-drilled, 2200w stainless heating element/cord, ball valve assembly, digital stick thermometer, and grain & hop bags.

Just want to know if anyone uses one of these (or similar) and how they find it, or if anyone has any thoughts as to how this basic kit could be improved (after market mods).

Cheers.

2 points, have a search here for elements and you will find that Keg King elements don't have a lot of fans, 5 star elements are highly recommended .
The second point is that electric is easier to use than gas ( flame suit on ) and depending where you brew electric doesn't give of nasty gases that can stuff you up if used in an enclosed area.
So electric allows you to brew indoors with out having to worry about weather .

Thanks Spog, will look into the 5 star elements as I want to go electric (to brew indoors) but want a good quality element so I'm not waiting forever for keggle to come up to mash temp/rolling boil.

Wondering whether to just buy a keggle with holes pre-drilled (if that's an option) and buy better quality tap & element.

FWIW I've got 2 keg king elements (one in my HLT and the other in a RIMS tube) and haven't had any dramas with them, that being said there have been numerous people who've had issues with them over the years.

Lots of good reports about the five star elements, however you'll need a sparky to wire them up with a 3 pin plug.

JD

Reedy said:
Thanks Spog, will look into the 5 star elements as I want to go electric (to brew indoors) but want a good quality element so I'm not waiting forever for keggle to come up to mash temp/rolling boil.
Wondering whether to just buy a keggle with holes pre-drilled (if that's an option) and buy better quality tap & element.
Have a look at QldKev's blog ( he's a member here) good info to be found.
As for the keggle it would depend on wether your handy with a drill or know someone who could drill the hole/ holes for you and what you can afford to spend on a suitable pot for the keggle as in buying ready made or doing it yourself , beer kegs are ideal but get one legally?.
I have 2 Kmart kettle elements in my Biab rig but when time etc affords I will change to the 5 star element as they are so easy to clean.

JDW81 said:
Lots of good reports about the five star elements, however you'll need a sparky to wire them up with a 3 pin plug.
i'm a sparky, i can talk you through the wiring up of a plug if required, it's ridiculously easy. let me know if you need help

Latest posts

Back