Biab 6l High Gravity Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_R

Reaction score
I have read a few thing around the place and i cant seem to get my head around this... :huh:

If i were to do a boil of 6L and then add to fermenter and top up with water to 23L (like extract) will i get full strength beer??

The main reason i want to do this is our stove struggles to boil much more then 6L and i wanna give BIAB a crack!!

Sorry if this has been covered already...

Cheers

I'd say no.
to get 23Lt at an OG of 1.050 using 6Lt, i reckon you'll need an OG of 1.192 (192 = 23/6 * 50)
I doubt you'll be able to achieve this.

Cheers,
Al

I have read a few thing around the place and i cant seem to get my head around this... :huh:

If i were to do a boil of 6L and then add to fermenter and top up with water to 23L (like extract) will i get full strength beer??

The main reason i want to do this is our stove struggles to boil much more then 6L and i wanna give BIAB a crack!!

Cheers
If you turn it up full, reduce it and keep topping it up with more and more mash liquid you'll certainly get a very high gravity wort.
But you'll have boil for HOURS to get it to the ideal gravity (1.192 as A3K mentioned) where 6L will get you to 1.050 at 23L.

I'd suggest doing more than one boil if you're considering doing it with this setup.

If your stove cant boil more than 6L then you shouldnt consider BIAB imo.

Look at doing extracts and then partials until you can afford to buy the right gear to do a full volume boil.

or aim for a smaller batch. 9L is a good number. 1 slab per batch

9L - by the time you account for trub loss, kettle loss, how much beer will you end up with? Personally I dont see why you'd bother when you can create excellent beer doing a partial mashes, and topping up with extract to achieve 23L and get a good handle on the processes before moving onto full scale AG.

Yeah you could probably get away with a partial. Or just do an extract brew and steep some grains. You can make some damn good brews with extract + spec grains steeped. These are way closer to all grain than they are to kits.

I agree with the others,
start doing partials or extract with some steeped grains. You can make some great beers this way

EDIT:
The book Brewing Classic Styles which hapens to be next to me at the moment has lots of good recipies. All come with an extract and steeping version. I'd say this would be a great source for inspiration.
I've never tried any of the extract beers though.

I don't believe your stove can't boil more than 6L. Mine's bog-standard and it'll boil 20+.

Cheers for all the replies guys!

i thought it wasn't going to work but thought better ask anyway..

Last night i started my first extract brew (after around 4 kits and spec grain attempts that improved my beer hugely)

the recipe can be found here... http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry637700

also did a variation of dr smurtos bout a month ago using a real ale can instead of sparkling and had 1st try last night and was suprisingly tastey after just 7 days in the bottle :icon_cheers:

I don't believe your stove can't boil more than 6L. Mine's bog-standard and it'll boil 20+.

It boiled 6L last night but took close to any hr to get a rolling boil because the pot is quite large and doesn't quite fit on our glass top electric stove (one side hangs slightly off hot plate)

It boiled 6L last night but took close to any hr to get a rolling boil because the pot is quite large and doesn't quite fit on our glass top electric stove (one side hangs slightly off hot plate)

Does the pot cover two or more burners? if so, turn more than one on (you may already be doing this).
How big is your pot?

Another problem you'll have is the amount of water you mash in, for a full strenght 23L beer you'd prolly need 12L mash water min, so you'd end up with more than 6L anyway, and if you mashed with less water then you'd have trouble getting all the grain wetted, and even if yuo did, the grain soaks up a fair bit.

Does the pot cover two or more burners? if so, turn more than one on (you may already be doing this).
How big is your pot?

Yeah this is what i ended up doing :lol:

Think the pot is 15L (missus found it at bigw i think for 20 bucks so she picked it up for me)

Cheers

Just do a 1.7kg version and you can call it a kit. Just buy some basic gear.

I don't think water to grain ratio < 2:1 is worth while. Will 6L even cover 5kg grain? Plus on top you need something to sparge with.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back