Best Yeast For A Dry Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the source of the Roasted barley is important in how it affects character. What OG did you use? I think if you go above 1.040 you need to leave the roasted barly total quantity the same and just increase the base malt.

MFS.

JW roast barley. OG 1.046, 40 IBUs. I like it, its just not the Guinness i thought i was making. It was for a mate living in Dublin who was over for xmas - he enjoyed it so jobs done. I tasted a few cans of the imported stuff last week and its such a subtle roasted taste, almost non existent. Mine smells and tastes like an espresso!

Just to pull this thread a tiny bit OT. (Hard not to in pursuit of a good stout).

I find the standard pale, roast and flaked barley stouts to be a little on the boring side.

I've had good results with my 3 and 4 Shades of stout recipes which go for the standard pale malt and flaked barley but differences being the roast additions.

I liked to blend varying amounts of Roast Barley, Carafa III, Pale Choc and small amounts of Brown or Amber Malt.

You still get a jet black, opaque stout. Difference being the flavour and mouthfeel of the roast. Seems to give a more complex flavour.

Just a case of taking the standard pint a little outside the box. :)

Warren -

Now your just teasing Warren. :icon_drool2:

After the so so success of my one and only stout i am keen to brew a few now and put them down for the winter, any chance of a few recipes of these shades of stout?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Now your just teasing Warren. :icon_drool2:

After the so so success of my one and only stout i am keen to brew a few now and put them down for the winter, any chance of a few recipes of these shades of stout?

Cheers
DrSmurto

No worries Dr. Smurto. They're in the recipe section.

4 Shades
3 Shades

Warren -

Am liking the look of 4 shades. I have a porter brewing away now with amarillo in it..... cascade in a stout sounds like a winner to me!

Cheers for that
DrSmurto

Dr. Smurto.

Hops are all 60 minute additions. Any highish AAU hop will do (I usually prefer Target).
Cascade was all I had in the fridge at the time. Won't contribute much to the character. ;)

Warren -

No worries Dr. Smurto. They're in the recipe section.

4 Shades
3 Shades

Warren -

I can vouch for these 2 recipe's, but in my opinion the 3 Shades shits on the 4 shades, but that just my mere opinion.

My father in law tasted Warrens 3 shades and said it was better than anything he tried over in the British isles

Rook

I'd second the use of things like carafa special. I used a combo of roast barley, black patent and carafa special I in my first stout and it came out beautifully.

Mine is in the recipe section as FES. I got third, I mean fourth, in the AABC with this one. Extract and all... ;)
Working on the AG version now but I will definitely stick with the carafa and the munich to add something different.
I used flaked barley and flaked oats to add some smoothness too.

I am keen to do a couple of dry stouts and was wondering whether it's worth splurging out on an Irish Ale or other yeast specifically for this or whether I'm better off using one of the two appropriate ones I already have: Cal Ale, or Burton Ale, both of which are good attenuators.
I love the Wyeast London ale. Pitch a healthy amount and it's a beaut little worker. A little bit of tweaking the temperature changes the ester profile from very clean to a decent amount of character (At 18C it is very clean). I brewed a dry irish very recently and had 86% apparent attenuation in less than 4 days.

Hmmmm, black beer.

Happy brewing,

Keith
ps My congrats to Kong on your forthcoming marriage, and any marriage celebration that includes a stout has got to be winner. All the best for the future.

Anyone used the Wyeast 1728 scottish ale in a stout before? I am planning a dry stout and was thinking of pitching onto a cake of the 1728 which is munching on an 80/ now.
Also, what sort of mash temps do people aim for? Do you get your dryness primarily from high attenuation or dark grain additions?
Cheers,
chops

Anyone used the Wyeast 1728 scottish ale in a stout before? I am planning a dry stout and was thinking of pitching onto a cake of the 1728 which is munching on an 80/ now.
Also, what sort of mash temps do people aim for? Do you get your dryness primarily from high attenuation or dark grain additions?
Cheers,
chops

Hey choppadoo. I've not used Wyeast 1728 in a stout before but I'd be inclined to think it would work well as most British Ale yeasts do.

Generally speaking I always mash at 65 degrees as a standard procedure. Just to keep it dry as possible more than anything. Going a couple of degrees higher shouldn't hurt though I'd say.

Enjoy the stout. :)

Warren -

Thanks Warren, I figured it should be a goer, might even get a bit of this mythical 'smokey' character that the 1728 is supposed to impart, which would be more than welcome :) .
Cheers,
Chops

I get good results with WLP005 (two 3rd places in 2 comps) and also with S04(not entered in comps yet).

I'm another 3 Shades fan - although the Wyeast Euro Ale (1338 from memory) was a bit disappointing in its performance after day 3 7. Attenuation isn't what it should have been at 18 degrees throughout the fermentation. I've still brewed up a really nice stout though and it's drinking well on these chilly Melbourne nights :icon_drool2:

I'm another 3 Shades fan - although the Wyeast Euro Ale (1338 from memory) was a bit disappointing in its performance after day 3 7. Attenuation isn't what it should have been at 18 degrees throughout the fermentation. I've still brewed up a really nice stout though and it's drinking well on these chilly Melbourne nights :icon_drool2:

Hey Dave

She's a malty yeast for sure. B)

When I initially used it I split the batch (42 litres) between 1338 and US05. Talk about contrasting performances... The US05 was the preferred stout early in the equation, given a bit of ageing time I'm inclined to think the Euro Ale was by far the better choice though. Gave the malt more complexity and "polish" than plain boring old US05.

Glad you're liking the recipe. My current entity is done with S-189 at lager temps and it's bloody tasty. :icon_chickcheers:

Warren -

bugwan, the Euro Ale yeast is a slow worker mate. I give the beers I brew with it 3 weeks in primary at fermentation temps.
A stout with that yeast does sound interesting though........

C&B
TDA

Sometimes the search feature works. :icon_cheers:

Exactly the answer I was after. Thanks DA (got a biere de garde that has only dropped 32 points in 2 weeks - Euro Ale is bloddy slow)

cheers

grant

Back