Best Substitute For Willamette?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm planning on brewing an AG American Amber Ale which requires Willamette hops as a 15-minute flavour/aroma addition that adds 7 IBU to the batch.

I usually get my ingredients online from Grain and Grape. Unfortunately G&G don't seem to have Willamette in stock. Just wondering what a suitable substitute would be?

Cheers,

Chris

I'd go New Zealand Fuggles.
edit: Wil may be in short supply in the future as the major commercial user Anheuser-Busch has gone onto isohop instead but hopefully will still be grown for the craft market. USA harvest is underway and I'll be ordering mine in early November.

Willamete is pretty common, grab it from somewhere else if its via the net.
Glacier, US Fuggle, US Tettang, or styrian golding are hopunions alternatives.

I'd agree with whole NZ fuggles going well in place of willamette.

Willimette is Fuggles grown in Willamette, Oregon isn't it?

When were you planning on brewing this, mate? If not until next weekend and you can't source any I can post you 50 gms or so...Just cracked a fresh bag yesterday (4%)
Cheers

Willimette is Fuggles grown in Willamette, Oregon isn't it?
In as much as Styrian Goldings are Fuggles grown in Slovenia, as are Bobek, and NZ Willamette are a NZ grown version of the American Grown ..........

That Mr Fuggle has a lot to answer for :p

I was very happy with a batch of bitter not long ago with willamette. I recently did the same batch with EKG. I much prefer the willamette version. Im a huge fan of willamette in UK ales. I will get shot for preferring it over EKG, but i really like it, and use it a lot. So much so i just bought a kilo of the stuff

I don't think its like fuggles at all, that shit is pungent stuff!!

MJE ... your taste is your taste ... I am a big fan of EKG ... easily my fav hops ... closely followed by Cascade ... dont worry about people hacking on you because you prefer Willamette to EKG ... It should not happen in this site and I would personally be very surprised by anyone who did ..

Fuggles is a great hops to use too ...

It would be a horrible world without Hops !!!

When were you planning on brewing this, mate? If not until next weekend and you can't source any I can post you 50 gms or so...Just cracked a fresh bag yesterday (4%)
Cheers

Thanks for the offer! I've sent you a pm.

Latest posts

Back