Best Pubs For Beer In Newcastle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Will be in Newcastle over the weekend for my wedding anniversary. Will not have time to head up to Murray's but wouldn't mind trying some good beers, preferably on tap. Any of the locals got any tips for good drinking spots/taps?

Cheers

PS. Tried the search function but did not get many hits with current info

My current list of regulars are

Albion Hotel
Silo Restaurant
Mary Ellen Hotel
Clarendon Hotel

All have good beer on tap

Booz

Ditto
Except that the Albion is getting ridiculous, so many fine beers and Ive only got one liver.
Mark

The Great Northern right by the train station has Little Brewing Co. from Port Macquarie on one tap & the Pinchgut black & regular pilz + one other that we never made it to. Settled on the black for a night when stuck in Newcy last week.
Great beers music maybe not quite to my liking!
James

The Albion
The Albion
The Albion

Excellent food too - last time I was there I had a goat curry made with Holgate ESB - damn fine!!!

+1 for the Albion.
An impressive range of fine beers on tap there, which they change regularly too. I live across the road from the Prince and the Mary Ellen, yet probably call the Albion my local. If you want a properly nice beer with good staff and an absence of heroes disturbing the peace, the Albion is the go ;)
The food is also very very good at the Albion.

Silo has some good imported beers (by 'imported' i don't just mean Peroni and Heineken. :p). But the prices excessively high, even for boutique beers. (Mind you, I haven't been there for at least a year, so things could be different)

The Mary Ellen often has some good beers on tap. Though, last night I was disappointed by the selection. No decent dark/heavy ales on tap. Lots of stuff like Hoegarden (spelling?), Kronenburg, Schfferhoffer, plus a fair few local versions of 'exotic' style beers. E.g. Moo Brew Hefeweizen, some other local stout, bee knees, hrmm can't remember the rest.
They often put on limited run beers like Maibocks and stuff.. :)

The Northern has live jazz on thursday nights and the black plz or whatever it is there is quite good

But again, the Albion.

Back