Best Light Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coopers Premium light is a great beer with heaps of flavour.

I also LOVE their Mild Ale... :icon_drool2:

These 2 are about the only 2 decent light/mids worth drinking

Coopers premium light

@ Dan Murphys --- $30 a slab

i think i might add to the list....my personal favs..mid and light beers....carlton sterling, hahn is ok but hasnt got alot of full flavour...suppose its ok for those who dont drink beer alot...only have it on the odd occasion, xxxx gold is a nice drop, light ice is just too easy to drink and is one beer u could have all night....im not a huge fan of cascase premium light...think it tastes shit to be honest...id take lightice, sterling or a midstrength beer over it anyday..

tooheys blue was always a great drop, jaw drop that is, how foul was that. Coopers Mild is a pretty good mid strength. XXXX gold, ilike it it on a summers day.

Value for coin, Coopers Mild.

Hi guys...
Im looking at cutting down my alc intake a little you know have two or three days of no drinking a week and when i do have a drinks with friends id like to have maybe 4 full stregth beers and follow them up with light beers rather then having 6 or 12 pints of full stregth!
So my question to all of you is...what do you think are the best comercial light beers? From what i know hahn premium light is Australias best selling light. But as we all know just because somthing sells a lot does not mean its the best eg...Carlton Draught, VB Budwiser...........
Also what do you think are the best comercial international beers?
Thanks for your advice guys and girls! :icon_cheers:

Don't be put off by the price...... (a ridiculously cheap $29 at Dan Murphys)

But Haagen Light

Actually tastes European and fresh (check date) tastes like they actually spent money on malt and has some pilsner and Munich malt in it, IMHO

Brewed by AIB...

Better than their Haagen Full strength which finishes a bit sweet and clawing to me...

Yeah I went through a summer of Haagen mids I think (Yellow label) thought it was OK for the price at the time. That was a few years ago now and havent drank any since I started brewing again. I now try and keep a steady flow of Doc's Yardglass session light (or variations of) on 1 of my taps for when I need a light. When I'm out I lean towards a Cascade light or Carlton Mid on tap if I have to drive.

If I'm out somewhere and can't take light home brew with me, Cascade Light is my choice: tastes ok and commonly available. However, I wouldn't sit at home and drink a 6-pack of it.

I used to make up a Coopers kit with maltodextrin added for better mouthfeel (no dex or malt which would raise the alcohol too high). Originally, I read somewhere that a Coopers kit made up with no additional sugar was a light beer but when I made it like that, there was little body or mouth feel. So I added around 300g of maltodextrin and it would make it up around 3%.

Should work with all the lighter styles of Cooper's kits (ie not the stout or dark ale).

Mostly over the past couple of years, I've made up an Ordinary Bitter rather than a light beer for taking out or to drink with family. It has a lower alcohol but still retains a full mouth feel, body, aroma and flavour. Depending on AG or extract, it's between 3.2~3.5% ABV so not exactly low alc as the commercial variety (Cascade Light is 2.6%).

Drink less but drink well is the best advice I can give.

Back