Best Kit Ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
I brewed kits for around 10 years, and easily the best kit that I ever used, and was consistently happy with was the ESB Bavarian Wheat.
One of the few kits that didnt taste much like a kit at all!

What is your favorite kit?

I also like the ESB Bavarian Wheat kit, particularly when made in conjunction with this recipe.
Eh!
Nice shot.
A wit is soon up on my brew schedule.
That looks like it would be a good one.
Have you tried it?
Do you vouch for the results?
Umm.. how "bright yellow" is it?

I have never seen an ESB kit anywhere, they always seem to get good reviews so im keen to try one/all of them.

But for myself I would say Coopers Brewmaster Indian Pale Ale and I was very happy with my Bett A Brew Premium Bitter Ale dry pack.

Tried the ESB Smoked Belgian Ale. Wow. Smoked ham & cheese in a schooner.

People either love it or hate it, but it was definitely a kit worth trying! I loved it.

Grumpys Boston Cream

+2

did this sucker a month ago - was drinking beautifully in 10 days. Would love to know what was in it...

After that my favourite kit is a Kilkenny clone built on a Morgans Amber Ale can. Can't remember the details offhand - it took four months to ripen but it was well worth the wait.

Dunno yet. Got two bottled but not tried yet and two in fermenters. Ask again this time next year LOL

Probably the best I've made up so far would be a pick of three:

Wal's Lager as a Dutch lager,
X-Tract Lager as Bavarian lager, and
Cascade Choc-Mohogany Porter as a honey porter.

The X-Tract was probably the simplest of the lot, just whack the lot into the fermenter and fill. Steep hops beforehand [12g Hallertau I think I did, more next time though] and whack those in as well. Pitch yeast and wait. Beautiful clear beer with decent bitterness and excellent head, came out quite well. The Wal's range is generally good all round, and the Cascade Porter you'll either like or hate, but its a fav recipe of mine.

Cheers - boingk

I brewed kits for around 10 years, and easily the best kit that I ever used, and was consistently happy with was the ESB Bavarian Wheat.
One of the few kits that didnt taste much like a kit at all!

Right there with you. Drinking a variation on this right now.

Didn't use the recomended yeast or the one that came with but used WB-06 and fermented well above recomended temps and used 2 of ESB's light grain improver packs with a shedload of leftover US Northern Brewer Hops boiled with the result from the steeping process. The bottles dropped crystal clear in about a week.

When green the beer was unbearably bitter and after about 8 weeks in the bottle I was beginning to despair and then thought about the yeast :rolleyes: . If you up-end the bottle or roll it and allow the yeast character back into the beer WOW!

Minty bitterness flowing into bannana flavour tailing off into caramel, really tasty.

Latest posts

Back