Best Hbs In Area?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Free delivery would be a big plus, I did an order a while back and the wrong item was sent, I paid for postage and then had to pay for return postage as well :angry: .I would have been better going to my LHBS.

Batz
What thats not right! Paying for some one elses stuff up.Sounds like a place to avoid , where was that ?
GB

Nothings ever free.. they would just include that in their cost of products.

Dunno about that, check the pricing of JW malts on the brew shop site.
Gotta be the best priced grain in Sydney, plus they deliver it to your door for nix if you order 2 bags.

What thats not right! Paying for some one elses stuff up.Sounds like a place to avoid , where was that ?
GB

You know where it was from, it was stated... :rolleyes:

I had the same thing happen aswell just recently, bought something from somewhere that is selling it for another supplier, was a bit of a problem with the item, had to pay to send it back and then they had to pay to send it back to me, so all in all, it cost probably another $20+ in postage when I actually had picked it up from supplier originally and not paid postage in the first place.....

But, I couldnt get it from my LHBS let alone anything else for that matter....

:icon_cheers: CB

To give credit where it's due, I made a forum statement about free postage and cheap grain, and a well known store owner PM'd me inquiring as to who I was referring to. No, this wasn't him getting the shits (after all, I didn't mention the store, and I shan't now) but simply so he can stay on top of the game as far as his prices are concerned - good for the home brewers, yes? Retailer attitudes like this mean that, ultimately, we are the winners.

So following the aforementioned PM, I thought I would do some cost comparisons of my total shopping list and compare my nominated supplier to the PM author's store prices. It couldn't be done though, for several reasons. Firstly because I had unhopped liquid extracts on my list, of which the PM author doesn't stock. Secondly because he doesn't stock the same brand of Australian grains (apart from a few odds & sods). And finally, because I'm buying in small quantities, five kilo's of base grain, and one kilo lots of three or four spec. grains etc.

Instead, I thought about ordering just the grains from the author of the PM, but with small quantities, it worked out slightly more expensive than if I included them in the order with my liquid malts as part of my original order. And that was simply due to the postage (vs free postage). What was established however, that if buying 25kg bags at a time, then the PM author's shop is most defiantly cheaper than my original nominated supplier. Good to know for future reference.

Enter "The Brew Shop" discussion in this thread. I did some cost comparisons - over my entire shopping list - between my nominated supplier, (who is far cheaper than the guy I used to buy from!) and not only does The Brew Shop have exactly the same products I am looking for, they are a full $25 cheaper overall (on an order that was a mere $160.00 to start with). Therefore, for my requirements at the moment, The Brew Shop is going to find themselves a new customer.

No affiliation yada yada yada - and no statement is being made as to the cost savings to be had when ordering larger quantities of grain only from certain well-loved vendors. But for my specific needs, and after crunching the numbers, TBS delivers on price. Each home brewers needs will differ, dependent on what's required to stock the brewery pantry.

Well said Renegade.. ;)

And yes a certain Retailer on here likes to stay in the loop of whats going on and try to keep in line with other suppliers(where possible), most times they are to busy with there business than researching other sites, but get there information from Posts on here and respond accordingly..

Well done "Certain Retailer"

GB

Well the story was I ordered two things, interesting I rang the owner to ask if he carried the items before I ordered as well.
One was a Turbo yeast and the other a liquid hop for a kit friend. The yeast turned out to be a Turbo Clear not yeast at all, and the hops had leaked out half the content.I emailed the shop and was told to repack and post back at my expense and a return would be sent, it was.
I suppose what pissed me was that I could have bought the yeast as I normally do for about the same price at my LHBS (be it 30km away) I was in a hurry and though it was worth the extra $6.00 or so to have it within a few days. The way it worked out, it took well over a week and cost me twice the price.

I still order from the retailer, although were possible I have it collected. There have been many brewers I have related this story to and none have had a similar experience, perhaps it's just me :(

Yes it was Craftbrewer

Batz

One was a Turbo yeast and the other a liquid hop for a kit friend. The yeast turned out to be a Turbo Clear not yeast at all,

:icon_offtopic: Hey Batz, I've not used that stuff for brewing beer before. Wotcha doing with that, then ?

GB

I seem to recall someone making a long winded and impassioned post recently suggesting that you never had and never would make posts such as these.

fear_n_loath, when I say "board" I mean AHB, not this particular thread. I wouldn't question your motivations for reading a thread. Never mind.

I seem to recall someone making a long winded and impassioned post recently suggesting that you never had and never would make posts such as these.

fear_n_loath, when I say "board" I mean AHB, not this particular thread. I wouldn't question your motivations for reading a thread. Never mind.
Bum ,Ok you pay for some one else stuff up if thats what you like and think is the right way to treat your customers, I dont care! Its your money.And dont quote some else's post and imply that they are my thoughts..They are not.
GB

Bum ,Ok you pay for some one else stuff up if thats what you like and think is the right way to treat your customers, I dont care! Its your money.And dont quote some else's post and imply that they are my thoughts..They are not.
GB

FFS GB - Petulance doesnt suit you mate - Your a cracking chap and all that - world class brewer - but trying to score points on every perceived slip up a certain other retailer makes doesnt read well - IMHO you just make yourself look like a dick.

Let it go

RM

FFS GB - Petulance doesnt suit you mate - Your a cracking chap and all that - world class brewer - but trying to score points on every perceived slip up a certain other retailer makes doesnt read well - IMHO you just make yourself look like a dick.

Let it go

RM
ROLFL , Still in Darwin?
GB

And dont quote some else's post and imply that they are my thoughts..They are not.

That is an odd thing to say when trying to infer a position other than the one I intended.

Let it go

RM

:lol: GOLD!

Here in Gympie it goes like this at the LHBS.

G'day mate, can I have two packs of S-04 and two packs of S-05 please? ............ er...ah.....S-04........ "yeah mate"................he, looking in the fridge (which is a good thing) "that's yeast right"? "Mate, two of the blue ones and two of the pink ones please" he.....oh yep ok!

:lol:

ROLFL , Still in Darwin?
GB

Yep - here till Xmas.

Completely bummed that I have no access to beer with flavour - scheming to to a clandestine brew - the brew will be simple - the kegging might require some cloak and dagger
:ph34r:

[/quote]

Bum,
I am a brewer like any other person, I like reading the boards and if I can help or ask a question I will. Same as you. Cheers&beers.
Fear_n_Loath

The reason I said "never mind" was because I didn't want to continue what could appear to be an aggressive conversation and try to explain what is a really obvious point which you still refuse to get.

Never mind.

The reason I said "never mind" was because I didn't want to continue what could appear to be an aggressive conversation and try to explain what is a really obvious point which you still refuse to get.

Never mind.

Let me spell it out. No idea why bum is often misunderstood - he ain't speaking in riddles.

Fear & loathing , what's the value of (often misleading) LHBS 'mentoring' when we have a resource far better in AHB. And by extension, for a new brewer who is a member here, he/she really has no need to shop anywhere else but at Coles for supplies. It's cheaper, and its convenient. To make 'good' kits & bits beer, one really only need order through a LHBS a couple of times a year for hop & grain replenishment.

Anyway, went for a little drive on Saturday & ended up at Northern Brew at Woonona.

Awesome little shop, top service. :)

Would have liked to spend a little more time in there but had to pick my lovely wife up from Wollongong. :huh:

:lol: GOLD!

Here in Gympie it goes like this at the LHBS.

G'day mate, can I have two packs of S-04 and two packs of S-05 please? ............ er...ah.....S-04........ "yeah mate"................he, looking in the fridge (which is a good thing) "that's yeast right"? "Mate, two of the blue ones and two of the pink ones please" he.....oh yep ok!

:lol:

I quite accidentally came across a very clean, neat and well run store on Aerodrome Rd Maroochydore where they have a big soft drinks style glass fronted fridge with hops and yeasts in, a basic selection such as US-05 but heaps of Morgans Lager yeast that I use in my Aussie Standard Lagers and hard to get elsewhere. It's a QLD yeast and I had to get my last lot ex Sydney <_< Picked up a few packets of Fermentis as well for my collection and they were the same price as the sponsors.
He's mainly a kit n kilo place but we had a good yarn and quite a few people came in for their tin of Morgans and bag of brew enhancer while I was in there.

Edit: speling

Not really singing its praises - just the odd proximity...
- you could spit from the porch of our gaff, and it would fly over the roof of this tiny shop - Seriously, if you bought the smallest shed at Bunnings and assembled it, minus one of the sides (i.e. a triangle), that's how big, ...strictly K&K, nice folk, reasonable prices. They're open on Sundays & Mondays... ;)

They're blimmin everywhere in this country!!

edit - two els in spelling Bribie mate!! - oh, i see... :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back