Best Hbs In Area?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went in there on saturday and bought some POR hops, he told me it was very hard to get it but had a little bit left out the back... i also got some US-05... Put my first brew down yesterday.. so fingers crossed.

I took my Font to Casula yesterday to have Craig go over it and replace the lines, he seems like a good bloke, very helpful.

Craig is good for a chat, nice easy going and helpful bloke. I get my LDME and Dex as well as some Jerky, Cheese and coffee beans there but for grains/yeasts I usually shop elsewhere, mainly as there is more range at some of the other places.

The guy at Campbelltown has no idea... I was there one day and a guy walked in, wanting to get into AG and obviously wanting to spend money and get some advice. He said, (insert German accent here) "dont bother, its takes too much time and doesnt taste anybetter" and that was it...

Another time, I was doing a lager, went and bought 2 packets of yeast and promptly told me I shouldnt be pitching both packets of yeast...

another time, I went in asking for amarillo hops. He said "no such hop exist"

and he has a fridge in there, NEVER been offered a beer... :angry: :lol:

Had my swmbo in there with her sister the other day getting me an addtional packet of dried yeast. She stood around for ages in the shop until the old german bloke appeared (most probably from the crapper) - she could have easily looted the place big time - had she had the know what to grab how.. Very rude and sexist old bloke apparently... How does his business survive?

Sydney is just too big to have to drive one-way 25mins on average to a decent brew shop. Bulk Mail order for convenience and most probably savings when you think of how good our sponsors are.

All hail the good sponsors.

big_brother.jpg

Can anyone tell me which of them offer free postage ? I would like to start ordering from one of them if they offer that.

I have been to Cambelltown many, many times, and I must say it can be an interesting experience. I was however offered beer on quite a few occasions and very early in the morning. I would say the store is quite good for the beginner, he normally has a well stocked store so if you know what you want you can get it. If you are serious, you might want to talk to other stores in the area to get more info though.

May I just comment on the advise to buy from Big W as well as the net as the way to go. I totally disagree with this approach for the beginner unless they have no desire to learn.
Two reasons I disagree.
Big W will only ever provide a narrow and limited range of product that is OK for beginners but of no interest to experienced brewers and you can get no advice. So how do you become a better brewer how do you learn?
The net offers a massive range of very good products, but without advise, experience, mentoring or coaching how does the new brewer know what to purchase and how to use the products to acheive the result they are after. Again where is the ability to learn?

This is where you need contact with the LHBS to get started. Fair enough some stores are not up to it - I know, and at some point your knowledge will allow you to be very independent in your selection of products and and methods to use them. Until then you need to find a source of advise/ knowledge, and sure AHB is one, but in my experience a good LHBS is important and well worth finding.

Fear_n_Loath.

Are we talking South west!?
I've got give Casula the thumbs up for most new brewer and K+K as the most appealing Shop.

If you venture to the brew shop in Campbelltown be sure to be frank with Manfred or he will lead you haywire.

Personally I have no problem with "Manny". He'll get what you want that is available for no added extra cost.
You just have to wait for it to get there and check when the deliveries come.
I recall ordering in three varieties of hops and he said to me how much I was interested in was very helpful in ordering the hops in and it took about a week.

As for Peakhurst They are the best but be prepared to wait. They have little problem telling you if they have run into any problems along the way.
A delivery will take a bout a 10 day to several weeks.

Maybe that why i've got give the wrap to a certain sponsor for quick and prompt service and good feedback. hint hint

My best advice is, Make sure you know what you're after and be adamant you get the service and price YOU are happy with....

Enough preaching I'll go back to my Unwooded Chardonnay and pond over when and if I'll find time to get a decent brew together again....

Matti

<EDIT>

No, it's not. :huh:

Placed an order last week with ESB for some grains, hops, yeast and whirlfloc tablets for 1st AG.

When I went to collect, Richard told me that I need to buy the whirlfloc tablets from The Brew Shop in Peakhurst.

He told me that ESB was the wholesale side of the business whereas The Brew Shop was the retail side of the business.

Cheers,
Jase

Big W will only ever provide a narrow and limited range of product that is OK for beginners but of no interest to experienced brewers and you can get no advice. So how do you become a better brewer how do you learn?
The net offers a massive range of very good products, but without advise, experience, mentoring or coaching how does the new brewer know what to purchase and how to use the products to acheive the result they are after. Again where is the ability to learn?

May I ask a serious question - why did you start reading this board?

Placed an order last week with ESB for some grains, hops, yeast and whirlfloc tablets for 1st AG.

When I went to collect, Richard told me that I need to buy the whirlfloc tablets from The Brew Shop in Peakhurst.

He told me that ESB was the wholesale side of the business whereas The Brew Shop was the retail side of the business.

Cheers,
Jase

Gotcha. ;)

Love the Brew Shop but it's harder getting there these days as I have moved from Milperra to Picton but might give the mail order a go. :icon_cheers:

Bit of a sunday drive, but all things brewing is tops, best store for beginner / intermediate brewers I have ever been in.

Scotty

Shop 5/7 Sophia Street Albion Park, NSW, 2527

And you can head up the hill for Pies at Robbo .... !!!

May I ask a serious question - why did you start reading this board?

I started reading because I am intersted in the local HB stores, I do use them. That is the point of my initial reply.

Fear_n_loath

Can anyone tell me which of them offer free postage ? I would like to start ordering from one of them if they offer that.

Nothings ever free.. they would just include that in their cost of products.

Latest posts

Back