Best and simplest way to get my kegged beer into a few bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesl73

Reaction score
Hi

Just recently moved away from natural carbonation into kegs. I'm off to a bbq this afternoon and thought I'd transfer some of the beer into 330ml bottles to take along. I don't have a beer gun or counter pressure filler and so I just hooked up some 4mm tube and filled the bottles that way. There was quite a bit of foam, say half the bottle which I continued pouring until I had beer up to the neck. I quickly capped the bottles and put in the fridge. 6 hours later I opened one and tried it and it was pretty flat which was very disappointing.
So...what do you guys suggest?
I don't want the counter pressure filler as it looks a bit of a hassle.
Would the standard beer gun work and keep it carbonated? I'm only bottling then drinking within a day or so.
Cheers

Well I think the counter pressure is probably the best way to go, and is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Otherwise make sure that tube goes to the bottom of the bottle and transfer very slowly.

When you say a beer gun you mean a Pluto? If so add tubing to go to the bottle bottom and very light on the trigger - probably good enough for quick consumption.

I like filling my brown PET bottles with a carbonation cap, keeps the foam fairly low and I have no problem with carbonation or flavour in those bottles for weeks to come (if they survive that long)! Good for emptying the remains from a keg if you need to move things along or to take beers to a party, hand out to friends etc.,

I like filling my brown PET bottles with a carbonation cap, keeps the foam fairly low and I have no problem with carbonation or flavour in those bottles for weeks to come (if they survive that long)! Good for emptying the remains from a keg if you need to move things along or to take beers to a party, hand out to friends etc.,

Well yep that's a fine way to do it, should have included that in my reply.
I always assume bottles to be glass because mine are :)

I mean this...
https://www.kegland.com.au/bottle-filler-beer-gun.html

I'd want to be filling glass bottles ideally.

I did it this morning using a pluto gun with a bit of tubing that went into the glass. Didn't work for me.
Oh that will work ok so long as you are drinking the beer in a couple of days.
As the supplier says the counterflow is the way to go if you want to keep your beer for any longer.
It really isn't that hard either I mean if I can do it :)

So I've tried it with the bit of tubing in the pluto gun and it didn't work for me, I lost too much carbonation. So would the beer gun shown in the link work any better?
It's not for long term storage, just for drinking within 24 hours. Just want to more whether it would work without me having flat beer.

I'd want to be filling glass bottles ideally.
Yeah I get that, I was all about glass and was critical of the PET bottles because, well, they're not glass! Much to my surprise they are actually pretty darn good (if not better, I'd argue) for this purpose and it's turned me around. I've bottled off PET bottles that have retained their carbonation two months later (beers have even cleared right up compared to the keg), a couple days is definitely no problem!

All that said, my brother uses one of the bottle fillers like in your link (the Blichman one), he likes it and also doesn't seem to have any problems..

Yeah I get that, I was all about glass and was critical of the PET bottles because, well, they're not glass! Much to my surprise they are actually pretty darn good (if not better, I'd argue) for this purpose and it's turned me around. I've bottled off PET bottles that have retained their carbonation two months later (beers have even cleared right up compared to the keg), a couple days is definitely no problem!

All that said, my brother uses one of the bottle fillers like in your link (the Blichman one), he likes it and also doesn't seem to have any problems..
I don't want to use PET because the purpose of me taking travellers is after my weekly soccer game the 7 of us share a bottle each of my beer. I can't hand out PET bottles for this and I don't want to bring along 7 glasses for pouring hence my need for glass. I'll buy one of those beer guns.

Hi

Just recently moved away from natural carbonation into kegs. I'm off to a bbq this afternoon and thought I'd transfer some of the beer into 330ml bottles to take along. I don't have a beer gun or counter pressure filler and so I just hooked up some 4mm tube and filled the bottles that way. There was quite a bit of foam, say half the bottle which I continued pouring until I had beer up to the neck. I quickly capped the bottles and put in the fridge. 6 hours later I opened one and tried it and it was pretty flat which was very disappointing.
So...what do you guys suggest?
I don't want the counter pressure filler as it looks a bit of a hassle.
Would the standard beer gun work and keep it carbonated? I'm only bottling then drinking within a day or so.
Cheers

I use the beer gun like I your photo it works a treat and I've left bottles for weeks with no issue still carbonated. The trick is to get your gas down to about 4psi and fill its takes a little practice to get it right but once you do it you would will be wrapt. In the results, the counter pressure thing looks like a hassle to me as well but this gun is awesome, definately recommend just takes a littler time to learn the right pressure and grab some spare rubbers that fit the gun.

I use the beer gun like I your photo it works a treat and I've left bottles for weeks with no issue still carbonated. The trick is to get your gas down to about 4psi and fill its takes a little practice to get it right but once you do it you would will be wrapt. In the results, the counter pressure thing looks like a hassle to me as well but this gun is awesome, definately recommend just takes a littler time to learn the right pressure and grab some spare rubbers that fit the gun.

Latest posts

Back