Best Album Purchased This Year 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite a fan of the gorillaz album, so is my two year old...

gorrillaz.jpg

:party:

I'm a big fan of the new Deftones B-Sides and Rarities CD/DVD.

IMO Metallica's best albums were Justice for all and Master of Puppets.

Lars, who is one of the best drummers in the world really held it all together

One of the best drummer's in the world? No way! He's good but nowhere near the best.

Best drummers would be along the lines of Danny Carey, Dave Weckl, Terry Bozzio, Grant Collins, Dennis Chambers, Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy just to name a few

am said:
One of the best drummer's in the world? No way! He's good but nowhere near the best.

Best drummers would be along the lines of Danny Carey, Dave Weckl, Terry Bozzio, Grant Collins, Dennis Chambers, Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy just to name a few
[post="96280"][/post]​

You forgot Daryl Somers :D

i really liked hot hot heat -elevator and also the panics latest album. and also QOTSA's latest.
i am sure there are many many more that i liked but these are the ones that come to mind first.

Regarding metallica, I think if they didn't have the large variety in album sounds, then they would be selling out. Not the otherway around. I mean there is no way that they are in the same place emotionaly and creatively as they were in the kill em all days. To pretend they were would be a cop out.

Those guys had been playing the same songs every night since they were teenagers. No doubt they need rehab every few years! They'd be begging for a change.

I saw them a while ago. They played three 1 hour sets, all varying in Metallicas styles. Try singing Metallica every night (the tour was basically every night) for 3 hours each night for a year.

Don't give me that sell out crap until you have toured. Every band that gets paid for their music has sold out! Deal with it.

ok, well being a drummer from way back in the late 60,s my opinion is probably colored towards those that were in that time,but in saying that i have listened to a lot of the later bands too

1....john bonham....zepplen..., not always tight but a master of the tripplets on kick drum
2....ginger baker....cream...playing in a 3 man band he kept the whole show tied together with impecable timing and rythyms.
3....ian paice...deep purple...pulsating beat ,knew how to work the whole kit and still keep in beat
4....keith moon...the who...well what can you say about this guy,never learned how to play the drums he just could play.always played over the top of everyone else but a great performer
5....carl palmer...emerson,lake and palmer,great jazz drummer but found a niche in rock music,real showoff too,was like an extra instrument in the band

thats my top 5,wont be agreed with by lots but then that goes with any top 5 doesnt it

cheers
fergi

All of those drummers are up there for me fergi. Especially John Bonham. He played drums in a time where technology didn't have the percs of digital editing. Although he may not have been tight all the time, he grooved and had a great sound. Most of the Zepplin recordings on the drums are room sounds. He had an ability to play balanced. Most drummers can hit the drums in time but they wash themselves out with a crap dynamic balance over the kit. Cymbols should not be the loudest thing in a rock drum kit.

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
am said:

[post="96280"][/post]​

You forgot Daryl Somers :D
[post="96284"][/post]​

Good list of drummers with [for me] Buddy Rich #1, I also like Hossam Hamzy, being a drummer myself I love good drumming.
Oh no! :blink: this will start the drumming jokes :blink:

You know a drummer is at the door if the knock gets louder and faster. :D

I don't have a problem with Metallica "selling out" or any other band selling out for that matter. As you say Jazza it gets boring playing the same stuff & not growing. And good on 'em for trying new things and making some dough as well.

my problem is that Metallica's newer songs (ie after Black) sound crap to me.

Jez

...and I guess that's just my problem :D

I thought the dude from Santana was about the best drumming act I ever saw, but that was a long time ago, and if I was putting a band together myself now, I probably wouldn't have a drummer. I no longer delight in such aggravation.

Back to the topic. Just ordered a CD from JB HiFi by Butch Hancock, called "You Coulda Walked Around The World", but while I was there I bought the Martin Scorsese DVD 6-pack - "The Blues Collection". I'm not particularly a blues fan, but these films are incredible.

what's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

you only have to punch the instructions into the drum machine once :)

what's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

you only have to punch the instructions into the drum machine once

:lol: GOLD :lol:

Have to add this:

How do you tell if the stage is level?

The drewl flows evenly from both sides of the drummers mouth!

Interesting thread, so while everyones loading it up with there opinions i'll wack mine here simply because no one has named the greatest drummer yet and that has to be neil peart from rush, not only a great drummer but a regular modern day hemingway with words.
lars is not a great drummer in my eyes just does a job well thats about it, I think bob rock proberly wrote half the drum fills on the black album. :lol: That may be pushing it but i haven't ever heard anything from lars that was anything any other drummer couldn't do just aswell.

I think metallica sold out way back when they kicked out dave mustaine before they even released an album :ph34r:
I'd rather sit at home watching dave mustaine with megadeth live on DVD then pay money to see metallica again. Seeing dave play holy wars as encore on the end of the live dvd and iam in my absolute ellement as is he, gives me cold shivers, can't sit still, grinning from ear to ear. He is the master.
Don't get me wrong i do love metallica just thought while everyone was getting into passionatte discussion i'd put my arogant thoughts here.

Ok iam sure i have upset at least one or two people so time to run.

for those who think and feel.
Jayse

Well to get it back on topic, my top five (in no particular order)

Keane - Hopes and Fears
Athlete - Tourist
Coldplay - X&Y
Gorillaz - Demon Days
White Stripes - Get behind me Satan

Oh plus Oasis - Don't Believe the Truth and Wezzer - Make Believe

so my top 7.

Xavier Rudd... Food in the belly
is getting the most rotation at the moment on my MD
(dunno if its my best 05 purchase though)

What has 3 legs and a dick?

A drum stool.

(To make more effective replace "dick" with more offensive word...... yes that word)

Yeah Neil Peart is a ripper!

I'm a big fan of Lucius Borich but couldn't put him on par with others i mentioned earlier.

And Josh Freese is awesome too and Abe cunningham and Spug/Spag/Matt!

sorry for hijack, drums just do it for me as much as beer! :beerbang:

Back