Best Album Purchased This Year 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queens of the Stoneage - Lullabies to Paralyse
is awesome and decidedly less teen depressing than the album art suggests.

ok... I'm was a bit outa touch until I started listening to nova again.. still am a bit dated though...
don't buy albums anymore, it's easier to download off the net, but have found myself downloading anything from bernard fanning to steve tyler & santana, to black eyed peas, to rogue traders, to rob thomas! I'm so mixed up!!

am said:
Umm got a few to choose from:

Cog - The new normal
New Mudvayne album (can't remember title)
Spineshank - The Height of Callousness (sp?) and Self Destructive Pattern
[post="91703"][/post]​

The mudvayne album is "lost and found". I love that album. Forget to remember is fantastic, as well as happy? and fall into sleep. I loved their first two (especially the end of all things to come- I have the guitar tab book for that), and the third- while having a couple of drawbacks including less 'breakdown' sections- is top quality.

Duff said:
Another vote for System of a Down - Mesmerize.

Great news Stickler, I was wondering when the next one was coming out :super:
[post="91838"][/post]​

I was a hugge fan of SOAD when I got toxicity. Then I got their self titled, which has a couple good ones, but too many ordinary ones and a couple that totally annoy me. Steal this album, when I got it, did the same thing to me. When I heard they were doing the guns N Roses/Metallica thing and releasing a double album in two parts, I couldn't be bothered paying for them.

When I heard they were doing the guns N Roses/Metallica thing and releasing a double album in two parts, I couldn't be bothered paying for them.

Now let's not be hasty!! Use your illusions 1 & 2 were both definitely worth paying for!!!
When a band comes out and has such an impact on music, it is ABSOLUTELY neccessary to obtain both the albums! not one.. get sick of it and then buy the next one... they need to be bought together and listened to one after the other!!!

ok.. well, that's my opinion.

Use your illusions were grat albums!!

I will now go quiet :huh:

Oh yeah... but it seems like greed was involved with it... Metallica because they have trouble releasing albums less than 5 years apart

peas_and_korn said:
Oh yeah... but it seems like greed was involved with it... Metallica because they have trouble releasing albums less than 5 years apart
[post="91945"][/post]​

You seem like an absolute tool P&K, sure 'Use your Illusion I & II' were good (purely for Slash's guitar playing) but have you seen 'Some Kind of Monster' by Metallica? I'm sure you have, but for me I haven't seen a band lay out all feelings and differences like that release has. St. Anger is certainly a raw Metallica album, but the 'trouble' which you have noted, for me, is absolutely worth it.

Cheers.

Some Kind of Monster was the funniest thing I have seen. Bloody whingers should have just wiped their tears away with their fistfuls of cash. :lol:

I think Metallica deserve a little more credit than what they have been getting lately. People always go on about how Metallica's music has degenerated, but if they stopped comparing their new albums to their earlier albums (Master Of Puppets and Black Album for example) then people would realise that their latest albums are still pretty decent. It's pretty hard to match their earlier stuff.

That's my $2 worth.

I have just picked up fiona apples new one - some great tracks! Best album this year? Would have to be Dont believe the truth from oasis. Cant wait for the december show!

edit: response to ryanator

No they aren't, they are complete pants. I dare say if any band with no profile released them they would still be on the dole today. No offence to Metallica fans, but they have been a parody for many years now.

Warren -

iconpoundit8wz.gif

Duff said:
peas_and_korn said:
[post="91945"][/post]​

You seem like an absolute tool P&K, sure 'Use your Illusion I & II' were good (purely for Slash's guitar playing) but have you seen 'Some Kind of Monster' by Metallica? I'm sure you have, but for me I haven't seen a band lay out all feelings and differences like that release has. St. Anger is certainly a raw Metallica album, but the 'trouble' which you have noted, for me, is absolutely worth it.

Cheers.
[post="91952"][/post]​

Woah! Hey, I love use your illusion 1&2 (I have them) and load/reload (I have them too). Slash is a legend and Kirk Hamett solos like a demon. I was referring to pressure from record execs who believe that double albums are less profitable, because they (according to them) sell less. I love both bands and saw metallica when they were in Adelaide last. I not only have seen some kind of monster, but own a copy of the film, it's so good. I'm a huge fan of Metalica and a couple of years ago was a member of a metallica forum (before it fell over).

St Anger was the end of a huge journey and unfortionately it didn't quite live up to the hype (IMHO) and only became better after the release of the docco (as the lyrics became more relevant).

Peace,

Dave

Boozy the clown said:
I bought Dissociatives not so long ago, reckon its great.

Another different vibe i recently bought was 'Enzo' thats a cool album to chill out to, great if you liked split enz.
[post="91927"][/post]​

Bloody awesome album the Dissociatives one but I reckon it was a 2004 piece. Otherwise I would have put it on the table too.

X and Y by Coldplay is a good album bought this year but the number one is probably back to bedlam by James Blunt.

:beerbang:

COG - The New Normal does it for me.

As a sound tech it is pretty hard to listen to an album and say "I like that." One of the better productions I have heard from an Australian band. Songs are pretty good too, alot of layers.

After saying that, you can't beat an emotional performance at the local pub, shame it is often spoiled by a crap band!

Or a wake riding cover band...as far as I'm concerned, they can go and hide in the local RSL.

The latest Stones album would have to be their strongest in a long time. Gets better with every play.

Metallica should of quit after the black album and saved some face isntead of producing crap music

Jazman said:
Metallica should of quit after the black album and saved some face isntead of producing crap music
[post="96162"][/post]​

Ahh, so it's after the black album that Metallica should have stopped, eh?? It's interesting that the point at which Metallica's downslide keeps changing all the time. Once Hetfield did an interview and told a story about a fan who spat in his face because he thought that ...and Justice For All was a sell out. People claim the same for black (as you have) and I have heard that it's just St Anger...

Here's my personal opinion of post-Justice (which is their best album) material...

Metallica (commonly referred to as 'the black album')- full of very 'singleable' tracks. My biggest gripe with this album is that unlike their 80s albums it lacks the complexity that Kirk's constant soloing and complicated rhythm work that Hetfield provides; and it is just the beginning of them expressing themselves more, which they get the hang of later on. However, it contains some very well written songs with (even if they are wah-drenched and not as dense on the ground) soloing from Kirk. Lars, who is one of the best drummers in the world really held it all together. Very good album, with 14 million copies sold, their most successful.

Load This was the second album I bought, after getting Kill Em All. I was very surprised to hear the changes in Jason's voice (it has matured a lot and for the best), and the very bluesy influence in the album- as Jason is into country music. However, it contains (IMHO) some of their most soulful tunes. 'Outlaw Torn', 'Bleeding Me', 'Hero Of The Day' and 'Mama Said' all accutately protrayed a tortured soul and there were times when I have sat down and listened to it and really been hit by the brilliance of the lyrics. Downsides being that it only really has 2 heavy songs, solos (yet again) too drenched in wah; but less so than in black. Also, Lars seems to have toned down his drumming (the live versions of the songs from this album have much better drumming, obviously something they have realised).

Reload Hmm... I prefer Load. Both albums were recorded at the same time and intended to be a double album, but released them separately a couple years apart. 'Unforgiven 2' is fantastic, especially when heard after 'Unforgiven'. James is still a lost soul, trying to find meaning in his life (well, it was written at the same time as load). Highlight for the drumming is, of course, 'Fuel', where Lars totally shines. When I played this with my band, the singer would do the intro, but about 20BPM faster than it should be. So I go nuts with the tremolo picking, then during the chorus (where the guitar part is easy) we laughed at Neil who was going nuts with the double kick. Solos still have too much wah, but Hammett finally started working out how to make it more artful and nice.

Garage Inc I first heard this on Triple M's Classic Album Hour, and I thought it was some album they dug up from the eighties, that actually had good production values (face it, their eighties albums had pretty ordinary production values). Including their '88 album Garage Days Revisited was a smart move, as it's virtually impossible to find (and if you do, it's impossible to get it for the price that's included in the album title), and 'So What' is just a lot of fun to play on guitar. Lars returns with great drumming and some fantastic soloing from Kirk. Great album to delve into what made Metallica what it is.

S&M I include this because it's a different take on songs we've all heard before. I love 'Call of the Ktulu'; the original was a little plain, and the orchestra added an amazing dimension. I did my own arrangement of the intro 'The Ecstasy of Gold' and it was the best piece I wrote in high school music. Michael Kamen is a brilliant composer- the way he uses minor and diminished sevenths is magic, heralding back to the days of Beethoven. 'No Leaf Clover', the better of the two new songs, is one I enjoy playing (well, until I lost my capo).

St Anger A long wait, and... I was disappointed and loved it at the same time. Lars is great at drumming, pity Bob Rock did the stupid thing and told him to turn the wires on his snare off. GRRRR. To add insult to injury, he angled the mic too much toward the rim and got too much metal ringing. The DVD that came with the CD has better sound. No solos, which was surprising, but understood when watching Some Kind of Monster. Quite clearly the best songs are 'Sweet Amber' and 'The Unnamed Feeling'. Metallica have moved onto what I call their third style, and like with the Black album, they haven't perfected it yet. However, it has some nice guitar work, which shows the talents of Jason more than that of Kirk, who, well, I'm not sure exactly what he played on the album (traditionally James recorded rhythm parts and Kirk recorded solos), apart from a couple of simple leads. Very controversial album concerning a lot of hard core supporters (have a look around at fan forums everywhere and attitudes vary a lot). However, I love this album as the end of a journey to hell and back for all of its members, all of which have learned a lot and I hope will share these lessons in albums to come.

Well, I didn't plan for it to be that long... Time for a beer :chug:

First 4 are classics (Garage Days as well), Black album had good bits, Load had one good song, the rest are shite.

They should stop now but I guess Lars needs as much dough as he can get.

Just watched a very funny dvd filmed just after the black album was released - "Metallimania". It's just a guy interviewing Metallica fans (some quite wierd and very funny). Also has backstage bits with Tom Araya of Slayer, Dave Grohl & Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age.

Worth a look if you can find it.

Jez

Latest posts

Back