Bernzomatic Oxygen Cylinders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there ya go, thought it took a while with the airpump.
Research had indicated that 20-30secs with pure O2 was enough, but then another brewer was doing the research as I'm a lazy barstool rider.

Screwy was playing with this a little while back and actually had an DO meter to verify his results, I'll search for it later and see if I can find out what he said.

Just read up on the Wyeast site and they say under a minute for O2 and air is just as good as other methods. Least that is what I remember.

hmm... timely thread, my Cylinder has just ran out and i need to source one today, the local bunnings didnt have any red cans, only the blue and yellow
gave heatcraft a call in belmont and the guy quoted me $60+GST....hmmm any one in perth know where i can source on today?

Cheers Rob.

Yeh I think they are running out, and the 3 bunning's I have been to recently, all have them wiht a slash through the price, indicating its being deleted, I got the last one at my local, that was luckily hidden behind hungry jacks rubbish on the shelf...

Has anyone been able to find these lately? Bunnings haven't the faintest what I'm on about.

Bunnings haven't the faintest what I'm on about.

Ha ha ha, I call Bunnings the We Don't Have It store. Every time I go there all they have is an empty slot, an empty box or an empty pallet!

I asked at my local Plumbtec store and they said that they knew of them, but had never stocked them.

Hey Brendan

Check with EX El Presidente

his company is selling then mow.

Rob.

cheers Rob!

I get the feeling that 1/3 of bunnings staff are helpful, and the other 2/3 would rather tell you they don't have it/have never heard of it than actually try and help.

Flicking through the blackwoods 2010 catalogue part number 07096062 is a 454g bernzomatic oxgen cylinders FYI.

I tried Blackwoods here in Newy, and they couldn't get them. I also tried Heatcraft and the guy told me they aren't stocking them any more because they only last for around 20 odd seconds in a plumbing application and were pretty dear for what they were, hence they didn't sell very well... He also added that they weren't medical grade, hence no guarentee on the cleanliness so you'd want to run it through a filter I'd expect if you did manage to find some.

Not hard facts, but it came from the horses mouth so to speak...

I ended up going with a BOC medical grade bottle. Results have been very good

Fair enough. I'm supprised blackwoods couldnt get one in for you being that they are a catalogue item. I wonder if they couldnt - or if the salesperson CBFd.
I was figuring I would give one a go I would assume that a 454g bottle would last a while in our application? I dont have or need oxy acet at home (I work for a structural steel fabricator so if i need something cut I get it done there for nothing and I dont need to worry about having gear at home) so not really interested in a full size bottle.
Maybe I'll just continue with a small pump and airstone like im currently using.

I wonder if they couldnt - or if the salesperson CBFd.

It probably wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, Komodo, but I just got sick of getting the run around and found a way to get my BOC bottle for around $60 a year. It only costs $45 to fill it, and I reckon it will last me for yonks, it's a 'D' size... That and it's medical grade, not industrial

Those bernzomatic Oxy cylinders don't last long. I was only getting about seven or eight 30 second bursts before they were empty.

Makes it pretty expensive.

He also added that they weren't medical grade, hence no guarentee on the cleanliness so you'd want to run it through a filter I'd expect if you did manage to find some.

Oxygen honestly can't have any impurities such as oil, dust, etc as they'd spontaneously combust in a pure O2 environment. If it's full of oxygen, it's about as pure as you can get.

Those bernzomatic Oxy cylinders don't last long. I was only getting about seven or eight 30 second bursts before they were empty.

I do double batches and I give each fermenter anywhere from 15-30 seconds depending on whether it's a pitch from a starter or a repitch onto the yeast cake. I also give the stone a shot of oxygen while it's soaking in my sanitiser and again when I'm rinsing the wort off. My cylinders typically last approx 13 batches. This is for the "little" red benzomatic 40g oxygen cylinders. Were you letting the gas out full pressure or did you not turn down the regulator very much? 4 minutes worth sounds like roughly 1/3 of what I get.

I do double batches and I give each fermenter anywhere from 15-30 seconds depending on whether it's a pitch from a starter or a repitch onto the yeast cake. I also give the stone a shot of oxygen while it's soaking in my sanitiser and again when I'm rinsing the wort off. My cylinders typically last approx 13 batches. This is for the "little" red benzomatic 40g oxygen cylinders. Were you letting the gas out full pressure or did you not turn down the regulator very much? 4 minutes worth sounds like roughly 1/3 of what I get.

I do 1.5 batch sizes and was letting the gas out at full pressure. Based on your experience it sounds like I was wasting a fair bit. I burned thru 2 cylinders very quickly.

Maybe I'll just stick with my air pump and just let it run for an hour or so like I have been doing.

Just curious how you guys can run an air pump and stone for an hour, if I run mine for more than 5 minutes the foam it creates overflows the fermenter, even when I try to knock back the foam by stirring with a spoon I'm fighting a losing battle.
Ant tips?

Cheers
Andrew

I have a 2 micron stone on mine - doesnt seem to foam up too much at all even after an hour? it foams a little but its not like a bubble bath or anything

Maybe your stone is too fine for the low pressure of the air pump? or maybe your airpump produces too much pressure? (NFI pulling ideas outta my date here)

I use the 2 micron stainless steel air stone and the pump as supplied by Craftbrewer.

I can run mine for an hour before the foam comes close to overflowing.

If I want to aerate an English Bitter I put the pump on a timer giving 15 minute bursts evry 2 hours for 24 hours.

When I was using a normal aquarium airstone it would overflow a lot quicker.

Latest posts

Back