Belgium and Prague by rail - where to go?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
Howdy all!

I have to go to Prague on business at the start of September. I have family in the UK so I'm taking some leave beforehand and will have about 2 weeks in total. After subtracting family and work commitments I'll probably have about a week to play with over the August/September weekend, and I'm keen to do some beerism!

I have a loose idea of hopping on a train in London and spending a few days in Belgium, slipping through Germany pretty quickly (maybe one or two days) and then spending another day or so in Plzen and Prague before meeting up with my work contacts.

Belgium will be the highlight for me, I've never been and let's face it, it really is beer Mecca isn't it! I love Lambic beers so a couple of days near Brussels is non-negotiable, I love the Trappist beers too but I understand the monasteries aren't really tourist-friendly and I'm sure I'll find plenty of opportunities to sip them. A couple of lunches of bread and cheese and Trappist ale in serene surroundings would be hard to beat though!

Anyone have any experience and/or recommendations on making the most of a trip like this? Good places to stay etc, ideally all accessible by train or bus?

:beer:

Yep, I went to Germany, Czech Republic and Poland for my honeymoon and can reccommend you visit the following places by rail:

Munich - Will be on the way to Czech Republic and is well worth at least visiting for one or two days. The are some really great beer gardens close to the main train station: Augustiner Keller and Lowenbrau.

Bamberg - This is a couple of hours train trip from Munich, or you can divert and go here on the way. This was easily THE BEST place we visited, I'd even consider bypassing Munich altogether and going here if you are short on time. There are many small breweries and beer gardens within walking distance of the main train station: Schlenkerla, Fassla, Spetzial, Mahrs just to name a few.

Plzen - This is on the way from Munich to Prague, a very pretty city. Only one thing to do here; head straight to the Pilsner Urquell brewery for a tour! We only spent a day in Plzen, would like to have spent longer and bypassed Prague altogether.

Good luck, I'm sure many other people have some good advice......

I can heartily recommend Dusseldorf/Cologne, as they're along the way and only 50km apart. Awesome beer, nothing like authentic kolsch and alt. Munich was nice too, but if Oktoberfest is on, will be ridiculously busy/expensive.

Can't recommend anything beer related in Brussels as I had developed salmonella by then. Belgian hospitals, however, I can recommend.

Search for my name + Munich from Oct 2010 for a trip report and a lot of pictures.

edit: found post. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/48698-back-from-deutschland/

I just got back from 5 weeks in Europe, I spent about a week each in Belgium, Germany and Prague. If you only have a week to play with I would recommend a couple of days in Brussels, a couple in Bamberg and a couple in Prague. Don't spread yourself to thin by trying to see everything.

Belgium - as you said, don't bother with trying to get to the trappist cafe's, they are all pretty touristy, even In de Vrede though it is worth getting there one day though you should be able to find some Westy 12 in Brussles. Must sees in Brussles - Cantilon Brewery Museum (do the self guided tour), Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas, Hoppy Loft/Delirium Cafe and a day trip out to De Heeren van Liedekercke (simply amazing place). I stayed at B&B Galleries (http://www.bnb-brussels.be/fr/chambres/486-2.html), resonably priced, amazing location - very central, free beer and chocolate and Thierry who runs it is very nice.

From there you could possibly spend an hour or two Cologne, down a few quick kölsch then head on to Bamberg. As Cosh has said, this is the place to visit. I spent 4 days here and could have done more, beautiful city, great beer.

Bamberg - must sees - Spezial Keller (has the best location and atmosphere for me), Eckerts (nice restaurant that serves Gänstaller-Bräu (Drei Kronen) Zwickelpils - great food too), Mahr’s Bräu, Keesmann and of course Schlenkerla. If you have time to get out of Bamberg there a re a heap of breweries to visit, the pick would be Zoiglstube Drei Kronen Straßgiech though you need to time it as their opening times are odd.

I didn't do Plzen, could have done a day out there but didn't bother in the end, there was too many good places to visit in Prague however the brewery tour would be interesting. You can get good Urquell in Prague, find the places that serve it fresh and from large tanks such as Bredovský dvůr and look for Urquell Tankvová. There are many great pilsners there though so don't just focus on Urquell and Budvar, avoid Staropramen and the other main stream pilsners (they don't call them pilsners over there). Places worth checking out - Sedm Kuli, Nota Bene (one of my fav's), U Tri Ruzi (in old town), U Klokocnika, Basta, Zly Casy (the must visit in Prague for variety), U Slovanské Lípy, Kulovy Blesk and so many others that I probably missed.

I did a little blog while touring around which may have more info for you http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?topic=1480.0

If in Brussels ,I agree with Kieren and one should visit delirium cafe. Wash your beers down with mussels from chez Leon, which is a stones throw from there, best I have ever had and I have had thousands of mussels!

Chocolate and waffles are the other two things to have in Belgium.

Munich and beer gardens are amazing if the weather is good. You can also make heaps of friends there. Personally I loved Austria but for grape grazing and schnapps, not beer so i am guessing that its not on the list for you.

Enjoy the trip!

Cosh said:
Munich - Will be on the way to Czech Republic
Munich is a bit of a detour really, but Bamberg is much more in line between Belgium and Plzen and what I would pick over Munich any day.

Not that I've been to either of those cities...

The wife and I did a 6 week Central and Eastern Europe trip last September/October. We went to České Budějovice and did the Budvar Brewery tour then on to Plzeň for the Urquell Brewery tour.

I preferred the Budvar brewery tour over the Urquell one but it was still worth the day trip to Plzeň.

České Budějovice has some really great beer-based restaurants and you can try the krausened Budvar lager (Yum!).

Great area to travel to but The only thing in Plzen was a good beer (fair reason I know) but nothing else to do there,didn't rate the tour, there are better ones elsewhere in the area.

Going to Brussells & Berlin in December.I know I want to do Cantillion in Brussells..

But does anyone know anything good to do in Berlin?

+1 for České Budějovice - great town and great brewery tour there.

Haven't been to Bamberg - but have heard it's amazing. Apprently the smoke aroma remains with you, and flows from you, long after you've left the bar...

Brussels - Delerium Cafe - especially check out the sculture work across the lane way, the sister of a more famous male statue.
I think it would be worth checking out some of the monasteries, really the only place you'll see them.

Other than beer - places like Ypres are pretty amazing too, especially if you have some family connection with WW1.

Have a great trip.

And Berlin - if you can't find something of interest in Berlin, you're not trying...

Kev

We had less than 24 hours in Berlin before we had to fly home but squeezed in dinner at Gaffel Haus for a great feed and quite a few stanges of Kolsch.

Highly recommended.

Cantillion Brewery is a must

Staropramen brewery in Prague is well worth a visit, the beer is pretty average but the food is amazing and great value.

There's a place called the 3 roses in prague that is a much better bet for a good beer.

If you're in Brugge go to the brewery de half man and grab a few bottles of the quad. I loved this beer enough to lug three back to Aus as my duty free alcohol allowance.

Leonidis chocolates are probably the pick of the chocolates we found (after a few disappointing choices when we found one this good we stopped looking, I'm sure there's better choices but there are definitely plenty that are worse)

Hotel General in Prague is a great place to stay if you want to splash some cash and live it up.

There's a link to a thread in my footer which probably has some other ideas buried in it.

Ed

I was in Belgium a couple of years ago. Spent a few days in Brussels and got Westy 12 in this great bar called Au Bon Vieux Temps:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4993

It's a terrific old school pub down an alley (its easy to miss) with dark wood fixtures, beautiful stained glass windows and a great ambience. As mentioned in the link the Westy 12 was 10 euros and they will sell you takeaways. While I was drinking it some students got talking to me and couldn't believe I spent that much for a beer.

Definitely go to Cantillon - it's in a kinda seedy part of town but I caught the light rail there and back with no issues (even lugged back 6 takeaways on the return trip).

Had dinner at this place called A la Mort Subite one night and it was great:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2289

They serve jugs of their house gueze which was delicious, the food was tasty, service was quick & efficient even though the place was packed and it's worth a visit.

Blitzer said:
Going to Brussells & Berlin in December.I know I want to do Cantillion in Brussells..

But does anyone know anything good to do in Berlin?
Fat Tire Bike Tours are pretty good.

Or if you're feeling fit, do the walking tours.

+1 for a la morte subite (aka sudden death). Nice place, was very quiet when I went there and enjoyed the gueze too.

Edak said:
If in Brussels ,I agree with Kieren and one should visit delirium cafe.
+1
but really brussels is a bit boring head to bruges

Thanks for all the replies - I'll start scribbling some notes tonight and put my plan together over the next week or so.

Bamberg definitely sounds like it is worth putting on the agenda!

In Belgium in particular, but everywhere in general, keep an eye on your luggage on the trains. DO NOT fall asleep.

Another +1 for České Budějovice - it's a beautiful place, has good beer and easy train trip from Prague. Has a pretty cool castle too. Plzen was a bit drab for me but the beer is good. Prague will be full of annoying tourists get out to a small town and experience the joy of cheap good beer that is delivered to your table (before you have to ask). If you have time a bike ride is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back