Belgian Yeast Strains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
I have recently been studying Belgian Ales and have put down a BGSA in which I pitched 2 packs of T-58 and one vial of White labs 570. I pitched at 21 and let it free rise. The next day the beer had 75% attenuation SG 80 to 20 and was going strong at 26 degrees. I know I should of pitched much lower however I do not detect any harsh fusel or hot alcohol's. The beer is in day three and now 83% attenuated and tasting great. So to my questions. Is this normal? Do Belgians usually ferment that quickly?

Cheers,

JJ

I just did a Belgian using T-58 at 20c and had it chew through the wort in about 5 days. Although I would agree with Cortez regarding the high temp.

What was your batch volume? At those temperatures with enough viable yeast (sounds like you pitched more than enough) you would expect very quick fermentation. I'd still leave it a week more though!

Sorry to steal your thread, but i have a packet of t-58, and was wondering if anyone had any half decent recipes for an extract beer using it.

golden, dark, not fussed, love them all :p

Yeah - any yeast will go off like a bomb at higher temps, and you thoughtfully pitched a lot of yeast for the higher gravity (which is probably the main reason you avoided the fusels).

I agree with the comment about leaving it a while regardless. There should be a lot of cleanup work for your yeasties.

I have no idea what normal is. In fact, if you read "Brew like a monk" you will appreciate that "normal" doesn't aply to Belgian beer.

Thanx for your replies! I did pitch alot of yeast for a 20 liter batch. I did a starter with the White labs 570 Golden Ale, it didnt fire quick enough for my liking as it was 2 years old. I pitched two t58 and then realised that the 570 had taken off so chucked that in as well. I am glad I did that as the beer has a real Duvel quality. I will take your advice and leave it to clean up any extra bits just in case.

if you read "Brew like a monk

Yea I am planning on getting this book, it sound like a great read

Cheers,

JJ

The beer is in day three and now 83% attenuated and tasting great.

Wooha, hardcore! I usually give it 7 days before drinking out of the fermentor, anything left? :p

That sounds pretty normal for a big pitch at that temp as the others said. I'm putting down a tripple shortly and was going to go with 2 X T-58 for 20 litres.

Brewed up a tripple on Sunday (OG 1.072) & pitched a single pack T-58 @ around 21 c. Really quick take off & very vigerous fermentation, then I dumped 1 kilo of white sugar (as a cooled sugar syrup) into the feeding frenzy yesterday. Just checked the gravity 1.020, bloody hell thats quick!
Mind you activity hasn't stopped - just slowed a hell of a lot, and it smells like its got a fair bit of cleaning up to do. Should be interesting to see the final gravity in a week :)
Quite impressive stuff.

Hope not to go off topic here. :icon_offtopic:

T-58 for a tripple or any Belgian style [for me that is] just "does not cut the mustard", I keep some in reserve if my yeast of choice does not fire up.
Wyeast yeasts of choice are 3787,1214 and 1388, White labs yeasts 500,530,550 and 565.

Wyeast 3787 is for me #1. :super: and also love WLP 565 Saison, does ferment warm but needs more time [back on topic].

Edit: Typo

T-58 for a tripple or any Belgian style [for me that is] just "does not cut the mustard", I keep some in reserve if my yeast of choice does not fire up.
Wyeast yeasts of choice are 3787,1214 and 1388, White labs yeasts 500,530,550 and 565.

Wyeast 3787 is for me #1. :super: and also love WLP 565 Saison, does ferment warm but needs more time [back on topic].

Spoken my a man who knows Belgians ;)

Batz

You are probably right mate, I'd got the T-58 to use before Ross got in the Wyeasts and figured I'd might as well use it. I'd used it in a partial previously that turned out pretty good. I'll be giving the W3787 a burl next time, you tried W3724 in a saison?
Mmmm Saisons....

Any further details on the behaviour of the 1214 Bindi? (or anyone else)

I have a smack pack in the fridge but thought I would keep it until some warmer weather. I've heard the Belgian strains are fairly robust as far as longevity goes, but that's just hearsay - I have never tried a 'real' Belgian strain.

Any further details on the behaviour of the 1214 Bindi? (or anyone else)

I have a smack pack in the fridge but thought I would keep it until some warmer weather. I've heard the Belgian strains are fairly robust as far as longevity goes, but that's just hearsay - I have never tried a 'real' Belgian strain.

You have some 1214 lucky bugger, I've run out and can't find a supply at the moment :( as for behaviour [funny spelling] don't wait for the warm weather as it will ferment down to 14c from memory [the Wyeast site is down so I can't check] and does not like being over 20c [unlike some others].
You are in for a estery experience that's just fantastic and addictive. :rolleyes:

Edit: Grain and Grape have some 1214 on their site :rolleyes: So has CraftBrewer so it's not so hard to find now, when did he get into smack packs? Away a couple of weeks and there they are, Bliss.

Sorry to steal your thread, but i have a packet of t-58, and was wondering if anyone had any half decent recipes for an extract beer using it.

golden, dark, not fussed, love them all :p

Could be a bit late but I have a couple of extract recipes from the past, kind of. They both used a mini-mash but drop the mashing grains out for some more extract if you don't want to...
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 6.46 L
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 37.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 42.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3000.00 gm Black Rock (5.9 EBC) Extract 53.33 %
600.00 gm Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 10.67 %
250.00 gm Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 4.44 %
200.00 gm Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.56 %
200.00 gm Caraamber (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.56 %
200.00 gm Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 3.56 %
200.00 gm Pilsner (2 Row) UK (2.0 EBC) Grain 3.56 %
175.00 gm Carafa II (811.6 EBC) Grain 3.11 %
20.00 gm Sticklebract [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
20.00 gm Smaragd [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
20.00 gm Smaragd [8.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
30.00 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 2.0 min) Misc
800.00 gm Brown Sugar, Light (15.8 EBC) Sugar 14.22 %

This recipe does call a mini-mash again, and I think it is better for it. I followed a continuos infusion mash as outlined in a recipe in BYO magazine.
A search should give you some info on the method, otherwise, just add in some extract.
Recipe: Duvel Trubel
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 8.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3000.00 gm Black Rock LME (5.9 EBC) Extract 61.22 %
1000.00 gm Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 20.41 %
350.00 gm Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 7.14 %
50.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 1.02 %
20.00 gm Sticklebract [11.20 %] (60 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
300.00 gm Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 6.12 %
200.00 gm Malto-Dextrin (2.0 EBC) Sugar 4.08 %

As for t-58 as a belgian yeast, I both agree and disagree with Bindi on this one.
It isn't as good as a quality liquid, most definitely, and I have mainly used it for other things, fruit and spiced beers for example where it is excellent, but I do think it makes quite a decent belgian.
I have tasted some nice dubbels and golden ales made with it.

Ben, In a few months you can taste the tripple using it and see :)

In case anyone is interested the tripple quad finished at 1.015, mmm thats 10.2%, should put it in as my case swap beer.

Latest posts

Back