Belgian Yeast In A Cider?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
I have 20L of juice from a local juicer, I was thinking that pitching a bit of the Duvel strain, might both dry it out a fair bit and compliment the apple with some pear notes..

ANy thoguhts?

You're crazy! :D

Sounds like an interesting plan actually. I recently brewed an cloudy apple juice cider with a lager yeast and it seems quite decent at this point in time.

The only problem i've come across is the not yeast flocculating(sp?) too well, and the cider ending up a bit yeasty. Though having said that, a Belgian strain would probably give off some desirable esters and phenolics, as opposed to a lager yeast.

Just out of interest, are you planning on pasturising the juice first? And what temps are you planning to ferment at?

Why not!

You only live once!

Fortune favours the bold my friend!

cheers

I think I will pretend its a standard Duvel clone, start at 16 and head for 28 in 5 days

Why not!

You only live once!

+1

Give it a go! Some time ago I made a cider with Wyeast #1084. Great!

Alex

EDIT: Olskoolsoulja has some experience with making cider. I got some nice hints from him.

Its ok,
Ill bring some to the xmas case swap with the batch of same fermented with london ale

Latest posts

Back