Belgian Trippel - To Keg Or To Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huscre

Reaction score
Hey all. I've got a belgian trippel that's been in a cube (post fermentation) for almost 2 weeks, and I've now gotta decide whether to keg the whole batch or bottle some as well.

Will I be doing my beer (and expensive ingredients bill) an injustice by serving on tap? (Like drinking wine out of a mug?) Or are they served on tap in their homeland?

Cheers.

I bottled mine - more because it's something that I'll have one of occasionally because its special in a way. If it's something you plan to treat as a session beer, maybe a keg will be the go.

If it was me I'd bottle in good crownies (not the twist top ones) allow to carb for a few weeks and then store in the fridge to mature, it's surprising just how long these big beers can slowly keep munching on the sugars, and to be honest opening a bottle every few months and seeing the changes is much more satisfying than from the keg.

andrew

If it was me I'd bottle in good crownies (not the twist top ones) allow to carb for a few weeks and then store in the fridge to mature, it's surprising just how long these big beers can slowly keep munching on the sugars, and to be honest opening a bottle every few months and seeing the changes is much more satisfying than from the keg.

andrew

would have to agree.

I have 2 kegs of belgian strong ale, and I wish I had bottled them. They are taking some time to age - which means 2 of my 4 kegs are out of action :(

By all means keg some if you want to drink it asap. However, I recommend bottling at least 1/2 your batch, as you will be rewarded with extended bottle conditioning with a tripel. Just make sure it's in a temperature-stable part of the house and out of the sunlight. My tripel has been in the bottle for 3 months now, and it is getting better and better.

Cheers - Snow.

Thanks guys,

This all makes good sense. I hadn't considered that I'll have a good keg out of action for a long time while I wait for it to mature.

Bottles it is! :beer:

Back