Belgian Candi Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupal

Reaction score
Hello, Has anyone had any experience with the "Belgian Candi Syrup" from G&G ? I am brewing a Belgian beer using 2x Brewferm abdij (Abby) kits , Link: http://www.brewferm.be/en/brew_prod1.htm , In the instructions it says to use 500g of sugar or 5% more if using Candi Sugar. Would i use the same amount of Candi Syrup as i would with Candi Sugar ?

Slightly off topic, but I didn't know that G&G had the Belgian Candy Syrup .
I've been at Ross to try and get it in for almost 12 months, but he hasn't had a good response from the Belgians or the US Importer (too expensive on the later).
If you were looking to use the clear, I wouldn't bother and just use normal table sugar. I've used the Amber and the Dark Candy sugar (from G&G), for both colour and fermentables, but you could do the same with other less refined sugars also.

As for quantity 5% more because it actually contains some water.

Beers,
Doc

It's aparently $11.95 per KG, and the good stuff (as sold by B3 etc).

hi, thanks for the reply, G&G only sells the Dark Candi Syrup, but they don't have have it on their website yet.
So i would use 1050g of the Dark Candi Syrup in my brew since i am using 2 Brewferm kits to make 18L ?
is that right?

I'm not sure of the exact differences, just that it is a different product altogether. There is a bit of info here, especially on the pic of the label: http://www.brewlikeamonk.com/2006/04/24/be...ble-in-america/

Basic brewing radio did a show late last year which compared 6 different brewing sugars in a belgian style brew. The candy syrup came out on top according to the taste test. I'm pretty keen to try it out.

Slightly off topic, but I didn't know that G&G had the Belgian Candy Syrup .
I've been at Ross to try and get it in for almost 12 months, but he hasn't had a good response from the Belgians or the US Importer (too expensive on the later).
If you were looking to use the clear, I wouldn't bother and just use normal table sugar. I've used the Amber and the Dark Candy sugar (from G&G), for both colour and fermentables, but you could do the same with other less refined sugars also.

As for quantity 5% more because it actually contains some water.

Beers,
Doc
The Grand Master put me on to raiding Asian Grocers for rock sugar as a sub for Belgium's I also hit them up for Corn Syrup while I'm there, they must think I 'm some sugar junkie

Belgium Candi Sugar and Rock Sugar both very much look the same to me.

One day I will snatch those pebbles from his hand :ph34r:

Belgium Candi Sugar and Rock Sugar both very much look the same to me.

candi sugar and rock sugar shouldn't look the same.
Candy sugar is made by "inverting" sugar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup
This converts some of the sucrose into fructose and glucose which means that
the molecules can no longer stack nicely, so they don't make crystals. Instead
they make the glass like, smooth, and smooth on the tongue stuff we eat in
the toffees our mums made and lollipops.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/sugar.html

Rock candy on the other hand is made by putting some some sort of nucleation site,
like a string, in a saturated solution of sucrose. The sucrose, in these conditions, makes
big crystals, or rocks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_candy
But its still just sucrose. Whereas invert sugar is sucrose, fructose and glucose
which is metabolised differently by yeast.

I've noticed some sites, especially americans, advocating rock candy as a subsitute for belgian
candy sugar but its not the same stuff. You may as well use table sugar as rock sugar.

candi sugar and rock sugar shouldn't look the same.

Shouldn't, and yet they do...

THe rock sugar pictured, the asian rock sugar isn't the same as rock candy as shown on those links.

This page outlines details about it though...

http://jodelibakery.netfirms.com/ingredients/sugars.htm

Made from refined sugar cane juice apparently. The process to make it should mean it provides a slightly different flavour than straight out refined sugar though I'd imagine.

Interestly it confirms what someone asked/mentioned earlier that golden syrup is an invert sugar syrup, i.e. made by heating with citric acid so would be a good easily available alternative to the candi syrup favoured by belgians, except of course it only comes in one colour...

here's a nice page
about different sugars, how some are made, used and taste. Might be handy

Hello, Has anyone had any experience with the "Belgian Candi Syrup" from G&G ? I am brewing a Belgian beer using 2x Brewferm abdij (Abby) kits , Link: http://www.brewferm.be/en/brew_prod1.htm , In the instructions it says to use 500g of sugar or 5% more if using Candi Sugar. Would i use the same amount of Candi Syrup as i would with Candi Sugar ?

Oh that's interesting, you can read the ratios of fructose, glucose and sucrose on the label.
Looks like about half the sucrose has been inverted. And its must be 36% water.
So, assuming candi sugar has no water, you'd use about 1.5 times more syrup than solid.

The ratios of invert to sucrose is about the same as golden syrup, but golden syrup is salty because
its had NaOH added.

It also gives the method on the label used for removing part of the sucrose from the syrup.

There's a couple of methods for making partially inverted sugar syrup here

How about this? You can add
your candy sugar and orange peel into your Belgian beer in one fell, sticky swoop!

Thanks for those links, i will have a read through them.

In my last batch of Belgium brew a tripple from Brewferm

I made my own belgian candy sugar , pretty easy

however when I poured it onto the greaseproof paper to cool down to use the next day , it ofcourse went into one hard sticky lump and was hard to dissolve in the wurt

it appear if you use belgian candy syrup it would be easier to add to the brew

maybe make the sugar candy on the same day , add water in the pan , which would be compensated when you made the brew up to final volume

KISS

I spoke to the bloke at G&G, and i think i am going to use 500g of their "Belgian Candi Syrup" and to compensate for the rest i am going to use "Light Belgian Candi Sugar" (Rock Form). How would i calculate how much of the Light Candi Sugar (Rock Form) to use if i am using 500g of Dark Candi Syrup ? Sorry if my question sounds a bit stupid, this is my first brew & i dont want to stuff it up.

In my last batch of Belgium brew a tripple from Brewferm

I made my own belgian candy sugar , pretty easy

however when I poured it onto the greaseproof paper to cool down to use the next day , it ofcourse went into one hard sticky lump and was hard to dissolve in the wurt

it appear if you use belgian candy syrup it would be easier to add to the brew

maybe make the sugar candy on the same day , add water in the pan , which would be compensated when you made the brew up to final volume

KISS

I ended up with a hard intractable mess when I first made "candy sugar". Now I do as you suggest, invert it on the day and dump it into the kettle at flame out. I don't bring it up to
"hard crack" just to the top end of syrup.
I wonder how this syrup (which I make with white sugar for tripels and CPA) would compare to the bought stuff if you made the syrup with dark sugar?? Probably wouldn't because
dark sugar is white sugar coated with molasses. :(

I ended up with a hard intractable mess when I first made "candy sugar". Now I do as you suggest, invert it on the day and dump it into the kettle at flame out.

Brewers on recent US podcasts recommend to boil it up with some water and add it a couple of days after fermentation has begun for maximum attenuation.

Screwy

I ended up with a hard intractable mess when I first made "candy sugar". Now I do as you suggest, invert it on the day and dump it into the kettle at flame out.
I wonder how this syrup (which I make with white sugar for tripels and CPA) would compare to the bought stuff if you made the syrup with dark sugar??

Or even make it in the kettle whilst waiting for the mash

cheers

Darren

Brewers on recent US podcasts recommend to boil it up with some water and add it a couple of days after fermentation has begun for maximum attenuation.

Screwy

Wow,

Fanstastic observation those podcasting US brewers have noticed. Sugar added after pitching actually ferments!!! Quick, rewrite the brewing literature.
Seems like too much "feeding the chickens" going on with the podcasts

Question remains as to why you would do such a thing?? To complicate the process?? Pretend that you somehow contributed to a body of knowledge???

cheers

Darren

I thought it was so the yeast did the hard work consuming the sugars from the malt first, then had a bit of fun eating the added simple sugars to finish the job.

It makes sense.

If it works then maybe the brewing process needs to be a little more complex - who's going to complain if the beer turns out better?

Kev

Latest posts

Back